Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends. I have a M/T VT. I'm curious about rpm in relation to speed with the VT. I noticed I'm doing 60 mph on 6th gear and my rpm's are around 2,300 - 2,400. Is this normal, or are the rpm's too high for just going 60? On my other cars, 2,000 rpm on the highest gear and I'm usually going 70-75 mph.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm really not sure what you were driving previously but unless it was a 'Vette or Viper, I'd say your tach was out on your previous cars. Or maybe you were driving a diesel?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be that as it may, are you saying 2,000 - 2,400 rpm going 60 mph on 6th gear is fine?

(you must pardon my ignorance, I am not a "car guy"...)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your RPM's fine, considering the relatively short final drive ratio and the fact that 6th gear is the only overdrive gear (some new cars have overdrive for 5th and 6th). I would also imagine considering the displacement of the engine and turbocharger, it was all designed to keep the engine in a usable range of torque

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's good to know. I have an Infiniti QX56 which goes 70 @ 2,000 rpm, hence my question. totally different animal, I know, but still ...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ha, I remember about 80 on the interstate in my S2000 was about 4500 or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I was driving a 5.7L tundra, the RPMs at 70 were about 2-2200. Then when I was driving a tC, the RPMs at 70 were almost 3000.
V8's have a narrower rev window (terminology is wrong, but you understand) so there's no reason to be concerned that your 6700 redline VT is running high at 2400 at 60mph. That RPM is actually normal for economy cars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys for your answers. In general, guess any rpm below the red, though will affect MPG, should not hurt the engine, even cruising for a few hours, right?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to work, i was doing 65 mph @ 2,500 rpm. Gonna take the turnpike going home and see where I'll be at 80 mph ...

·
Registered
94 Posts
that's good to know. I have an Infiniti QX56 which goes 70 @ 2,000 rpm, hence my question. totally different animal, I know, but still ...
Many older cars (240z's, etc) used to not have overdrive whatsoever (the highest gear would be 1:1), and considering the final drive, it wasn't uncommon to cruise at 60 at 3500 rpms. V8's and other larger displacement engines (such as the v8 in your Infiniti) have higher end torque at much lower rpm's, those engines can tolerate low rpms at higher speeds

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
skywaffle
Veloster Turbo Forum
This is the Veloster Turbo forum where you can learn all the tips and mods to make your Hyundai Veloster Turbo faster and talk about the new Veloster N!
Full Forum Listing