Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about running open downpipe for a while now because everywhere I looked I have read nothing but benefits. The few common benefits are faster spool, better top end, and insane spool sound lol. I should say that I have heard a few minor concerns which include the following: loud as fu** (I don't mind), gas smell (already have it, straight pipe, catless downpipe), and running to lean. Will it go into overboost mode if I am running open downpipe? Will it run to lean, or do our cars run so rich from the factory that it wouldn't matter?

I would love to do this because it is basically free horsepower and sounds badass. Of course if there is any related engine problems then it would be a big no to this.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lean won't be an issue. The fuel smell will be crazy. Overboost? I doubt it.
Do you think it would be more beneficial than anything? I already get out of my car smelling like fuel, I almost always drive with the windows down heater blasting. I love the cold lol.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What do you mean by open downpipe?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: scubasteve18

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Makes more sense now....I feel like that would be a lot of drone and really loud since the exhaust will be dumping right beneath your seat basically

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like the difference/performance between a catless DP, and a full open DP would be negligible.
You think so....would the faster spool help with acceleration?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes more sense now....I feel like that would be a lot of drone and really loud since the exhaust will be dumping right beneath your seat basically
Yea, would definitely be much, much louder, if it's not already lol.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With your catless DP and straight pipe, I don't think you're going to see huge improvements. Perhaps 2% increase. But that's just a WAG. Unless your straight pipe is shaped like a pretzel.
I think my straight pipe is straight....I think?

·
Registered
458 Posts
So is your DP a stock gutted cat, or a catless DP? The catless DP or full open DP would flow better than the stock gutted cat. However, like swordfish implied, the gains are minimal.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Its VERY VERY loud...I drove about 8 miles with just the PHFC DP to get a custom flange made for the Solo (full 3 in). I personally didn't think it sounded "good".

·
Registered
563 Posts
cop magnet

Reactions: marathonveloster

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So is your DP a stock gutted cat, or a catless DP? The catless DP or full open DP would flow better than the stock gutted cat. However, like swordfish implied, the gains are minimal.
Pierce Motorsports Catless Downpipe, I still have my catted original pipe.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its VERY VERY loud...I drove about 8 miles with just the PHFC DP to get a custom flange made for the Solo (full 3 in). I personally didn't think it sounded "good".
Did you WOT at all? Did you feel any difference performance wise?

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
Do you think it would be more beneficial than anything? I already get out of my car smelling like fuel, I almost always drive with the windows down heater blasting. I love the cold lol.
You should not smell fuel.

All of you guys get exhaust smell in the car have exhaust leaks. It is not normal. Tighten your connections!!!

I ran straight piped in a 800# drag car on the street. No exhaust smell until I opened the dump under the car.

You will smell a lot if exhaust and will flood your cabin with Carbon Monixide. At least run a pipe out to the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
WE NEED VIDEOS! Someone please do this, take drive, WOT, record. The world needs video of a dumped VT

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should not smell fuel.

All of you guys get exhaust smell in the car have exhaust leaks. It is not normal. Tighten your connections!!!

I ran straight piped in a 800# drag car on the street. No exhaust smell until I opened the dump under the car.

You will smell a lot if exhaust and will flood your cabin with Carbon Monixide. At least run a pipe out to the passenger side.
Sorry, I probably should have been a little bit more specific. If I turn the AC on, I will smell it, I smell like exhaust, not fuel.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts