Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless I'm missing something, I find it strange that you can't turn the fog lights on without the headlights. Any of you electronic wizards out
there figured out how to do this ? Maybe an additional switch would be required, but it would be nice to run with fog lights on during daytime
or dusk rather than run my 55W HID low beams. Any ideas ?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai Bumper Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai Hatchback

ttwotees :cool2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Im not a wiring wizard but i remember on my acura there was simple mod we did by crossing some wires. Im sure someone here will figure it because I want to do the same thing. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used Plasti Dip spray paint ordered from Ebay (can't seem to find red locally) I simply cleaned them well with denatured alcohol, masked everything off with blue painter's tape and newspaper on large areas and gave them several coats with 15-30 minutes between coats. Seems to be very durable.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you ran your Fog light HIDs with a relay, then you can easily just tap the relay trigger side into the Daylight Driving lights. Then it'll come on when the DRL come on.

Or..... you can add an additional switch on the dash to turn it on with a toggle switch tapping into the relay trigger side.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it is Federal law (or regulation) that fog lights can't be turned on without the main headlights now.

I assume that is because people have ran them separately and forgot that their headlights weren't on and crashed, or people just ran fog lights to look cool and they don't provide enough illumination to meet safety standards.

What is stupid is that the whole point fog lights is that when driving in heavy fog your headlights actually reduce your visibility and lower power lights mounted lower provide much better visibility. That's why they call them fog lights!

I do appreciate that I can run just the LED lights when I just want to look cool.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 08 Charger did this from the factory. I remember swapping out a pin in a connector on an earlier Dodge model to accomplish the same thing. This bothers me also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry, I know I'm bringing back a thread from the dead but...

I have been scouring the internet for information on this, as it just boggles my mind that no one has figured out if there was an easy wiring swap to allow fogs to run with parking lights only.

I came across this write up for the gencoupe:
Independent Foglights (Pictures!) - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

I was thinking about trying it out since the wiring looks very similar in the brief few moments I had the steering column cover off this morning.
Has anyone here already given it a shot and confirmed that it does not work before I waste any time?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sorry, I know I'm bringing back a thread from the dead but...

I have been scouring the internet for information on this, as it just boggles my mind that no one has figured out if there was an easy wiring swap to allow fogs to run with parking lights only.

I came across this write up for the gencoupe:
Independent Foglights (Pictures!) - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

I was thinking about trying it out since the wiring looks very similar in the brief few moments I had the steering column cover off this morning.
Has anyone here already given it a shot and confirmed that it does not work before I waste any time?

Thanks for any input!
Just for the hell of it, I may venture into this project tomorrow. I hate not being able to run the dogs without the headlights.

·
Banned
552 Posts
Yeeees. Im very interested let us know if it works please and thankyou. I still got to figure out how to get my stupid Canadian drl bypassed

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it is Federal law (or regulation) that fog lights can't be turned on without the main headlights now.

I assume that is because people have ran them separately and forgot that their headlights weren't on and crashed, or people just ran fog lights to look cool and they don't provide enough illumination to meet safety standards.

What is stupid is that the whole point fog lights is that when driving in heavy fog your headlights actually reduce your visibility and lower power lights mounted lower provide much better visibility. That's why they call them fog lights!

I do appreciate that I can run just the LED lights when I just want to look cool.
Yes it must be a USA thingy as we Aussie's have a switch on the light stork that allows us to run with just fog lights on, although it is a strange thing we are not legally allowed to run with fog lights on in normal conditions. It is ok when fog is around but not in normal driving conditions. I know cause I was told to turn mine off whilst in the Subaru once on a fine day. (It was while I was pulled over doing a random breath test) they where good about it, just told me to turn them off.
This must be one of the differences between Eu versions and the American market.

Light Text Photography Close-up Font

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Independent fog light wiring

If you try this on your VT, how about posting photos and steps to accomplish it for all of us. Some of the steps shown in the example are a little short on explanation, for example what is #5 amd #8 wires ? Does the fog light switch then work
the fog lights independently ?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Alright. The #5 and #8.......doesn't work with ours. We don't have the looped black wire. With this being the case, I pulled up the hyundaitechinfo site. While I have the listing of all the wires in the headlight switch harness, I can't seem to figure out the best place to hook the fog wire up to for the bypass.

Text Font Electronics Technology Electronic device

Maybe someone can help with this. I know the fog control wire is the white wire in slot 6. Beyond that, I'm a little lost. And I have to get back upstairs and finish covering the pool table, my woman will kill me if I don't get it done sooner rather than later. Lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
I looked at for a while too, couldn't find any jumped ground as explained in the gencoupe forum. I'm going to just try to ground #5 to the markers or directly to the frame after I'm done with my CAI tomorrow. It seems like far too easy of a fix so I doubt it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let us know

Let us know what you find. Maybe some photos and an explanation if successful.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeeees. Im very interested let us know if it works please and thankyou. I still got to figure out how to get my stupid Canadian drl bypassed
I haven't looked yet, but on my Camry all I did was pull the relay and/or fuse and got my DRL's on with my headlights at dim setting.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts