Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Rust? Chip? Paint issue

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Dmilinare 
#1 ·
Noticed this today after a wash... Should I be concerned, or VERY concerned.
I'll try and go to the dealer tomorrow,

Automotive exterior Bumper Rim

See less See more
#2 ·
Where is that on the car? I can't figure it out.

I would not be pleased with that. I hope that they don't give you a hard time. Did a bent cause the split or....?

#3 ·
Hard to tell... does it feel rough or is it smooth with the paint? I had a NAV before I traded it in for the Turbo and once had a door ding + tree sap which looked similar. However, a thorough cleaning revealed it wasn't rust; it was a very small spot as well. If you think it's rust, I would definitely take it in to at least address it.

#4 ·
Well once rust starts to formulate on the body of the car you should be very wary about it as it will increase in size and spread. It's strange that the 'rust' is forming on what appears to be the clearcoat/paint of the car? I mean I don't yet see the metal part..

If the area isn't very conspicuous, I would get some fine sand paper and sand it down and put on some touch up paint that you can pick up at the dealerships.

Btw, what part of the car are we looking at here? That chrome-like line on the bottom is throwing me off.

#5 ·
looks like metal dust left over from the manufacturing process or, from "rail dust" it should be on top of the clear coat and not infect the metal on the car. you could try to rub it off with clay bar if your super worried ... you do always have the warrantied protect for 7 years if it got out of control.

#7 ·
So, funny thing is, I get these Orange spots on my car, too.
They will rub off, but they re-appear in random order on the car after a while.
I have heard explanations of, "do you live by a railroad", or, "maybe there's a plant/factory nearby pumping stuff into the air", and none of those things are true in my case.
NO railroads near by, no factories, etc, and yet these things appear on my VT. Even more strange, the same spots appeared on my WRX when I had it here where I live.
So I am gathering that it MUST be related to the environment, no?!?

#8 ·
Another reason is brake dust that comes off and lands on the paint. All it takes is a speck of brake dust to appear as rust.

One other thing that I find is when I use tire shine and it flings off on the side of the car it carries the brake dust and becomes a benign rust spot

#12 · (Edited)
So it is a veloster turbo, it's the back just below the glass line.
When I run my nail over it, I can feel the break, I'm not sure if its through the paint or just the clear coat.
I do get those "rust" looking spots but those go away with a little force.
This ... Sucks... I'm going to run by the dealer today, I hope they don't give me a hard time.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

Vehicle door Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tire Vehicle

#20 ·
OP-do you live close to the Atlantic/Gulf? You guys who live in coastal areas should be used to the surface rust on any exposed metal-looks like you have a crack in the paint as someone posted above. We vacation in Nags Head, NC every year and the vehicles that stay there year round are rust buckets.

#21 ·
I actually live in between both the gulf and atlantic, but my previous car(HYN Sonata) never rusted. not even the bottom/under carriage. This car is 3 months old to have a break in the paint that could be rust. I have to make an appt to see the dealer as they have been "booked"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.