Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second winter with the car and every winter when I change my oil this is what I see on my dipstick... this year is worse than last.

Seems to be rust.

I brought it to a local mechanic and his theory is that since the dipstick tube is located in the front of the engine and exposed to colder elements ( some days can get down to -20 C in NB Canada) and it's hot inside the tube it creates condensation inside and than rust... What could be the consequences of having condensation/ rust inside your engine?

Obviously this worries me as the car only has 38,000 KM ...has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what has Hyundai done for you .... it's clearly a manufacturers flaw/ defect.

Appreciate anyone's take on this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,124 Posts
is the stick tight in the tube?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've had it in Hyundai last winter and they checked the tube to see if it was defective and they said it was fine.

The gasket seems to have a good seal.

·
Super Moderator
3,124 Posts
what is that weird rubber line under the dipstick and map sensor? never seen those on a US VT?

·
Registered
120 Posts
what is that weird rubber line under the dipstick and map sensor? never seen those on a US VT?
It's only on the new 2019+ VT motor (same as the Elantra Sport), it goes from the coolant reserve tank to the motor:

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
This is my second winter with the car and every winter when I change my oil this is what I see on my dipstick... this year is worse than last.

Seems to be rust.

I brought it to a local mechanic and his theory is that since the dipstick tube is located in the front of the engine and exposed to colder elements ( some days can get down to -20 C in NB Canada) and it's hot inside the tube it creates condensation inside and than rust... What could be the consequences of having condensation/rust inside your engine?
Condensation is no big deal in and of itself, but rust inside the oiling system is a huge no-no. Which exact oil is being used? It seems this oil’s rust inhibitor functionality is missing or severely dysfunctional.

This oxidation is happening strictly above the oil level? Usually oil vapors will be enough to protect the metal above where contact isn’t constant. Regardless, you certainly don’t want rust particles flaking off into the oiling system. Krud Kutter is one of the best rust removers for the dipstick, but for the inside of the tube... Not sure.

Might be worth a trip to the dealer to see what they say, because this could be considered faulty, as it’s a material flaw.

They should’ve used a more oxidation-resistant material for the dipstick & tube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think your problem is low quality oil in your engine. A good lubricant would not cause that; no matter in what conditions you are driving your car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts