Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm an average C when it comes to working on my own car. Can get a good amount of stuff figured out but I need your help on this. Got everything torn down in about 15 mins to install my turbosocks short shift and then I got to the shift pin. Can take a pic if needed. I messed around with it for about an hour before I gave up. I didn't want to break anything and couldn't find good help on YouTube. Guy on there actually banged his out with a hammer but that worries me. So, is there a tool or method you all can recommend? I have a plastic clip remover that's not quite big enough. Was wondering if something larger like that would work. I just want to test this out by tomorrow night, please help! Have a few auto stores around if there's a specific tool.

I really appreciate it,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a few pics of the pin if this helps. Also, I took these when I reassembled everything I had taken off so I could get to work. I was not trying to remove it with the shift cables still attached lol.

IMG_20191010_103722.jpg IMG_20191010_103713.jpg

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Get a small screwdriver to pry the lock washer off the side of the pin. it'll be fine... when you go to reinstall it, flatten it a bit with a hammer and a flat surface then push it on with channel locks and a socket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a small screwdriver to pry the lock washer off the side of the pin. it'll be fine... when you go to reinstall it, flatten it a bit with a hammer and a flat surface then push it on with channel locks and a socket.
Well....turns out you don't even have to remove that pin. The only thing I actually need to get out of there is the plastic bearing around the shifter and I have not been able to find out how to do that anywhere. I messed with it for hours, it's almost 130AM here, so have to get some sleep. The OEM assembly is cheap so might just buy what I need....reached out to turbosocks for help. Little black plastic ring piece in the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I struggled with that as well but did manage to remove the ball from its socket. It wasn't pretty though.

The black piece has 4 retaining clips that hold the ball into the socket.
I used 3 thin head flat screw drivers with short shafts to displace the pins from the retainers holding in the ball.
Fro there I commenced to hammer the ball out from the bottom of the shifter assembly and pop, it came out.

If you can manage to free 3 of the retained pieces you'll be able to get it out.
Just be aware that once the ball is out you may have to help the clips assume their original shape so it'll work for the new shifter.

Hope this helps. 👍

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's finally in. Thanks, misnblu, for all the help. The plastic bearing was completely locked into place so I'm glad I spent the $2 for the replacement before the install. It actually didn't shift quite right. I couldn't get into first gear. Clip on the shift lever was too low, but I got that fixed. It's not quite as precise as the original but almost and I love the feel and look of the new shift knob. Custom boot with the orange looks great too.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks great and love the new boot. 😍
Glad you got it going. Happy for ya.
Some things are worth the effort when it's all said and done.
Also since you say it doesn't feel as precise as the original, did you look into making an adjustment in the cables at the base of the shifter assembly?
Not sure if that will help but may align it back to that good precision feel it once had.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've found that the easiest way to do this is to cut four little pieces off of a wormscrew style hose clamp and wedge them under each clip. The curvature is perfect and it pops right out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts