Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope to improve my ride by going to a 15-inch rim. Would prefer a mag rather than ‘just a rim’. Any ideas: black powder coat would be best. Need mfg link please. TIA.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,558 Posts
Will not fit a turbo model but I am making a conversion kit soon to be able to.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
The brakes are bigger on the turbo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you…so, more than likely, Discount Tire was misleading me with their rim options. I really dislike my ride w/ the 18 inch and low profile tires. Have 54K miles and all 4 are running with flat spots. Need new tires…so thought smaller rim with more side wall might improve my ride.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
17s would be fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Anything cheap that fits! Even other Hyundai wheels… enkei sparco

·
Administrator
5,558 Posts
16" is small as will fit the oem brakes. Wider and taller will have the best ride.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
693 Posts
Going with smaller wheels has its benefits.
They'll change the gearing of the car because of the smaller diameter which can make the car quicker off the line and feel a bit faster through the gears.
The weight savings can also be a tremendous benefit for reduced unsprung weight and again a better acceleration due to less weight.

On the down side the speedometer will be off and change how fast you accrue miles on the car.
If you're not worried about that then a 16 will still look good, make the brake package look and fit the wheels for a better look, and give you a range of tires that will be cheaper and easier to stain just about anywhere.

All of the above have always been on my list with any car that Ive bought and modified.
If I didn't go smaller I went with lighter wheels and tires to accomplish the same. Saves fuel too. 😉

Good luck with what you get. Most want bigger wheels and good to see someone go their own way with what they want. 🤙

·
Administrator
5,558 Posts
Those will change with tire diameter not wheel diameter. Less weight helps much more in stop n go scenarios. More acceleration the more less weight helps.

I get around 29 mpg on E85 and 10-15% less on 93E10.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you're looking to improve ride quality, then a smaller wheel with a greater aspect ratio will give you that. More rubber and air simply provides more cushion. Since 16 inch wheels are the smallest the brakes will allow, a good tire shop can match the tires to the original outside diameter. It has a trade off in increasing the rotating mass off the line, so acceleration will likely be less snappy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts