Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is my first time posting in a forum so if i put it in the wrong section i apologize. Little back story i bought a 13 VT AT at the copart salvage auction about a month ago and the inspection is in a couple of days. it’s gonna be my daily driver and i plan on modding it lightly, basic bolt ons. i want to make sure this thing is ready before i mod it and with summer coming up where i live (southern ohio) it’s going to start getting hot and this being my first turbo car and i know it makes a lot of heat. what i’ve done so far is get rid of the insulation on the hood, remove the engine cover, and the weather stripping in the back of the engine bay near the wipers. i plan on doing functional hood vents after the inspection. i’ve been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks now learning all i can and a couple of days ago i came across a post of someone doing an engine swap with a later model engine and they noted that the water pump pulley was smaller than the older model one. i don’t remember the year, i think it was a 15. wondering if anyone knows anything about this and maybe if the part number is different on the later ones? i know they updated the MAP sensors, i bet it happened at the same time. any knowledge would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The water pump pulley did get smaller it looks like for the 16 MY.

If you want to do some mods then keep reading as much as you can on this forum. Some good info some not so much so feel free to ask for any clarification.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

The water pump pulley did get smaller it looks like for the 16 MY.

If you want to do some mods then keep reading as much as you can on this forum. Some good info some not so much so feel free to ask for any clarification.
sweet, i’ll pick one up. appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
3,077 Posts
if the pulley is smaller now, does that require a different belt as well?.

are you doing this just to increase the rotations of the pump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if the pulley is smaller now, does that require a different belt as well?.

are you doing this just to increase the rotations of the pump?
hmm i’m not sure about the belt, i’ll try it with the current one and report what happens.

to answer your other question i am trying to get the water pump to spin more, every little bit helps :)

·
Super Moderator
3,077 Posts
i don't see a difference in the belts on autozone... so you may be in the clear.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Belt will be fine. The smaller pulley only helps marginally. You need a colder thermostat, high psi radiator cap, and higher water content coolant if you really want to do some good.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
276 Posts
Get the hood vents as they do work in ejecting under hood heat from the car.
This alone was one of the best mods I did to the car as water temps never reach 195 unless I'm sitting in traffic for extended periods of time.
Once moving though the temperature drops rapidly to 185 in less than a minute, even at 35 mph.
Verus Engineering makes a great universal kit that anyone with modest skill can install and make it look professional.
Here are the Verus vents.
58F7B499-5651-415C-9B73-E23ED79C89D7.jpeg D82C8CB3-BC83-4B32-BAA0-87495DEBD2DD.png

Good luck in your projects and you're on the right track. Lots of info here on the forums and welcome aboard. 🙏🏽👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts