Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed quite a lot of people on here smoking out their tail lights on this forum.

Is this Legal in Australia and more so Victoria?

I'd hate to get it done then find out it's illegal and have to have them changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm that sux...... May do it anyway :p ( I only want it slightly darker so it's not so bright.)

Any one ever done it on a previous car? Ever had trouble off the cops or Vicroads (or your states equivalent)?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hmmm that sux...... May do it anyway :p ( I only want it slightly darker so it's not so bright.)

Any one ever done it on a previous car? Ever had trouble off the cops or Vicroads (or your states equivalent)?
It's not really to cops you have to worry about its the insurance company!!!. If you are hit from behind and driver claims "could not see tail lights" your insurance company will use the modification as a reason not to pay out and deem you "at fault" regardless of the actual circumstances.

That said I do have mates that have done it and the cops in SA don't appear to mind too much as long as the orange indicators are not tinted and it not ridiculously dark. By "don't mind" I mean have not hassled them, it doesn't mean it "legal" so whatever you do make its easily removable on the side of the road (i.e. tinted film is good, spray tint is bad).

I personally would not do it for Insurance reasons. The cops will just fine you and make you take it off which is bearable, having to potentially pay crash repairs on your beautiful new VT AND their car would not.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'll leave them on the insurance side of it.
Dcannon, it's battleship, but they seems soooo bright on that colour, it needs to be toned down 5-10% imo :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah I'll leave them on the insurance side of it.
Dcannon, it's battleship, but they seems soooo bright on that colour, it needs to be toned down 5-10% imo :)
If its only the brightness that worries you maybe you can look at physically or electrically "dimming" the bulbs somehow. Don't know how but I have heard of people "painting" their bulbs. If you replaced with LED bulbs they would be far easier to dim with a few resistors because they don't draw as much current.

May also be worth seeing if you can find lower wattage globes that fit

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
If its only the brightness that worries you maybe you can look at physically or electrically "dimming" the bulbs somehow. Don't know how but I have heard of people "painting" their bulbs. If you replaced with LED bulbs they would be far easier to dim with a few resistors because they don't draw as much current.

May also be worth seeing if you can find lower wattage globes that fit
These are not bulbs... They're a bit more difficult to change than you may think.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What about these custom lights from importshark they are painted from the inside and don't effect the light output.
$690 for taillights!!?!?! Holy cow!

I want to see the color matched one though... that might be neat.

Maybe I'll bake my tailights and nightshade some of the part between the ridges of the LED. That way it'll still be bright, but look awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts