Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, im new to the board ,
i just ordered my turbo yesterday and have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to show up
my question is , i have an 2011 elantra sedan now, will my 16 inch steel wheel snows fit on the veloster , its the same bolt pattern , and similar offset , but will the 16 inch rims clear the brake calipers ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is the first time I've seen this question out. Please let us know what ends up working for you.

my question is , i have an 2011 elantra sedan now, will my 16 inch steel wheel snows fit on the veloster , its the same bolt pattern , and similar offset , but will the 16 inch rims clear the brake calipers ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Doodog

I am trading my V n/a for VT and i used 16inch steelies on my N/A last winter and no problems and i had the tech package with the 18". I am also curious if the 16 will fit the VT as the rotors are bigger. Anyone can help as well? txs :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the first time I've seen this question out. Please let us know what ends up working for you.
i put them on the other day
only tried the front, the rim is within 1mm of the caliper , i doubt thats good , im probably going to have to get 17's

·
Registered
16 Posts
i put them on the other day
only tried the front, the rim is within 1mm of the caliper , i doubt thats good , im probably going to have to get 17's
wow tight but it was tight fit on my N/A as well I checked on hyundai canadas web site for accesorries for the VT and they list the winter rims as 16inch pls have a look

Veloster 2013 Turbo

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
keep in mind the turbo has bigger rotors than the non turbo , i might put the front 2 on and try driving it

from car and driver

"What the folks at Hyundai did not do—and we applaud them for it—is crank down the suspension. Little about the base Veloster’s chassis changes beyond larger front-brake discs (11.8 inches instead of 11.0) and bigger, 18-inch wheels with 215/40 Kumho Solus tires. They’re not even summer tires, just all-seasons, and no factory upgrade is offered"

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Look in the hatch at the spare (in Canada) that will likely be the minimum wheel size. Im going to try the 15" steelies from my Elantra.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had 15'' wheels with rims for my Elantra 2012 GLS. I got them direct from the dealer. They told me they would work fine with my VT.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had 15'' wheels with rims for my Elantra 2012 GLS. I got them direct from the dealer. They told me they would work fine with my VT.
had a chat with the service manager
he said the turbo did indeed have larger rotors , and the minimum rim would be a 17 inch

·
Registered
22 Posts
had a chat with the service manager
he said the turbo did indeed have larger rotors , and the minimum rim would be a 17 inch
I'd really double check this, as this contradicts what I was told. And doesn't make much sense. They may be trying to sell you another set.

My winters are 15'' General Tire, btw.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah that. The rotors are less then an inch bigger. A 12" plus rotor might need a 17" wheel. I'll toss on one of my 15s this weekend and see if they fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried my 16 inch wheel that worked on my Elantra 2011 but it does not fit. Maybe a different 16 inch wheel will clear the caliper.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sure enough the spare is a 16 inch, so why would the dealer tell me i need 17 inch minimum if its got a 16 inch as a spare, that being said , weather permiting tuesday im going to slap both fronts on and try and drive it 50 feet , see if they really do or do not fit
by the way , there 16 inch from my 2011 elantra

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine were not OEM rims, there we bought at Costco. So they don't have the same shape. Anyways, if Hyundai Canada charges 89$ for rims, I am going to look for cheap mag wheels that will look better than black wheels anyway.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so i tried the 2011 16 inch rims again , bolted them on, all 5 bolts , wheel will not turn at all, my gues is the 16 inch spare is a bit different shape than the elantra rim

just means i have to get black rims for the winter
17 i think

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Yeah my 15s wouldnt fit at all. The 16s should be fitting though. I'm wondering if it's an offset issue or the fact that the caliper has been moved.

The plot thickens.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Could it be the width of the tires? Spares are very skinny allowing for more room behind but regular rims actually surround the brake assembly maybe. I'm not entirely sure but worth a look see

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dealer here is selling an aluminum 16 set as a winter setup here. I imagine that some of you who had tried yours and found that they do not work, are actually catching on the face of the caliper. H did something with the way the caliper sits on the VT which makes it slightly different.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In Toronto, we don't get much snow compared to Chicago or New York...so I am gonna stick to the stock tires for now and see how it performs its 1st Winter season.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts