Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a little money burning a whole in my pocket. I've planned to spend it on a new exhaust. I've been doing a lot of research and have narrowed it down to two. I was hoping y'll could advise me on some pros and cons between the two. I've been hunting down some dyno numbers to shed some light on performance but there is little i could find. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not all that sure on performance, but i had a Borla Exhaust on my 1999 Ws6 Ram Air Trans Am, and i would never use another exhaust. It sounded absolutely fantastic, and thats what i have heard from the VT's as well. As soon as i get the money, thats what i will be buying!!! Happy Shopping!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not sure if there would be HUGE hp/tq gains between the two, I have a solo, got a great deal on a group buy so I jumped on it! It sounds perfect!!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I say solo, but that's because its what I have. Never heard any of the others, but I love my solo.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a solo because the group buy presented itself to me. I was thinking of a borla at one point. The dyno sheet from solo showed about a 10 HP jump across the bands. Makes sense since the solo is a lot lighter and a large down pipe. I posted the dyno sheet in the group buy thread a while ago.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
OP, compare manufacturing process and type of steel. Uniq is always running gb on SOLO, so u might save some cash. My opinion Borla is better quality, but more $ and some people don't like the sound under certain RPMs. But hey i u wanna be above the rest, join the selected JUNBL GT club ;) good luck OP.

Reactions: Malgadar

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This is what I'm stuck on I won't be getting an exhaust till next month :( (bills) haha but I'm even thinking of going to an exhaust shop and have them coming up with one. What are the pros and cons of that? One thing is I know it'll be cheaper haha

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is what I'm stuck on I won't be getting an exhaust till next month :( (bills) haha but I'm even thinking of going to an exhaust shop and have them coming up with one. What are the pros and cons of that? One thing is I know it'll be cheaper haha
Aight OP and Litos, so what you're looking at are similar performance numbers between both exhausts (similar design). On the sound front, SOLO claims to have gotten rid of any droning with their exhaust and they also offer a straight pipe/resonator option that is swappable to reduce or increase noise. Borla...is Borla, they're very well known but people who have had both seem to prefer the SOLO's sound except for the welding issue they had recently. As far as getting one custom made at an exhaust shop: It will be cheaper, it will likely have less power due to the exhaust shop's lack of experience with our cars (or desire to put time into R&D), and it will likely sound worse/louder for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Aight OP and Litos, so what you're looking at are similar performance numbers between both exhausts (similar design). On the sound front, SOLO claims to have gotten rid of any droning with their exhaust and they also offer a straight pipe/resonator option that is swappable to reduce or increase noise. Borla...is Borla, they're very well known but people who have had both seem to prefer the SOLO's sound except for the welding issue they had recently. As far as getting one custom made at an exhaust shop: It will be cheaper, it will likely have less power due to the exhaust shop's lack of experience with our cars (or desire to put time into R&D), and it will likely sound worse/louder for the same reason.
Ok so didn't know that about the welding issues but right now money is right and unless I find a gb I might end up going with a shop. I spoke to a shop already and have him my thoughts and he said its deff doable and max max price is $400 which is at least half of the name brand. I'm going to look up more about the solo cause I really like that one and try and see how confident he is to getting it to sound similar and not a fart can. He asked me what can of sound I was going for and showed him a vid and he replied with no hesitation that he can do it so we will see haha

·
Vendor
3,542 Posts
i don't like the sound of the borla. All the exhausts systems out will perform similar enough..

After seeing pictures of all the surface rust/pits on a Solo, I would have a harder time pulling a trigger on one of their exhaust systems though.

I have the Magnaflow and absolutely LOVE it! Not to mention the exhaust still looks just as good as the day I installed it.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
solo has been on since october. love it. It's just quiet when the car gets warm. I need to take resonator off. I was looking at the borla too, but at the time of purchase I got the deal on the solo with the group buy.

I did have a borla on a 96 3000gt and it was a solid built and great sounding exhaust. You can't go wrong with any exhaust on this car.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
solo has been on since october. love it. It's just quiet when the car gets warm. I need to take resonator off. I was looking at the borla too, but at the time of purchase I got the deal on the solo with the group buy.
It's what I like about solo though you have the option for resonator or not. I was looking at a magnaflow muffler though to get if I go to a shop and they can use it

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I was stuck on the same thing, i wanted one that made a bit more ruckus when i gunned it, but not too much as make my ears bleed when cruising. I would say go for what suits you. If you want best value (bang for the buck) = magnaflow imo (unless solo doing yet another killer gb). if you are after a certain sound however, i'd just cruise through the videos and see what sounds best and hope it sounds the same when you mount it lol. One thing i can tell you is i remember a guy in MD who bought a borla and definitely mentioned a bit of drone while cruising. (link: http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/veloster-performance/3571-borla-cabin-sound-uniq-strut-bar-review.html)

They all make SIMILAR hp / tq gains some more up top, and some more down low (~2-3) but hardly anything drastic.

So recap:

Solo: all around louder - no drone - SOME have had some minor issues with welding/rust but from what i saw SOLO handled it, I think it was just a small batch and hope they did any revisions they needed to do - usually a bit more pricey unless you get in on those killer GB - doesn't include tips

Magnaflow: bit more subtle during cruise and opens up WOT - magnaflow warranty - cheaper - comes with 2 end pipess; one with and one without the tips depending if you want to remove the fake tips in the bumper - got it from pierce and got a killer deal on the rear torsion bar.

Borla: Seems to be more expensive than the 2 - Drones - killer warranty although when i had the G i've seen them void warranties over dumb shit (scraped exhaust systems) so if you're lowered.. - doesn't come with tips

Jun BL: Sounds nice - Expensive - Expensive - no tips - did i mention expensive? :haha: seriously, can buy solo AND magnaflow for this price and then just swap when meeting with some of the hardcore solo fans so you don't get lynched.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
here is my review of solo, with resonator before break in.. It's gotten louder now for sure, but I don't know if it's because exhaust comes out the back in the middle of the car that makes it seem quieter. Resonator is going to come off for me. I love the sound of the solo though.

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Never owed Solo, but I have had a few Borla systems & have nothing but PRAISE for them...Quality systems & unique mellow sound...Love the rumble it gives, but I had my Borla's on an STI & an S10. Both had well over 300HP, so obviously they sound way different then our VT's would sound. I'm dying to see someone on the Forum with a Borla setup. Everybody here has Solo systems. GLWP :smile:

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have the Solo with the stright pipe, I love it. It does get louder over time, it's deep not ricey. I can definitely hear it in the car when cruising if thats an issue for you. There is no drone though, just a deep tone.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have the Solo with the stright pipe, I love it. It does get louder over time, it's deep not ricey. I can definitely hear it in the car when cruising if thats an issue for you. There is no drone though, just a deep tone.
I'm sorry but what does drone mean??

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
^^imagine a constant rumble, non-stop nuisance low tone vibration when driving, regardless of revolutions.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts