Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am a owner of a 2015 black VT. I haven't done too much to it, just the basics so far (Injen SRI, Muffler Delete). Will be doing more and more down the road. Which leads me to my question of the day. I have watched at least 100 VT exhaust videos and they all sound either too loud or too quiet. I cant find an exact setup I like, especially because videos on youtube do no justice, the sound quality through a recording on a phone or camera isn't %100 accurate. I ended up going to a local Muffler shop and I was going to check out the magnaflow muffler. The guy ended up chopping off the big clunky muffler we have on our cars and he started the car up, and I was shocked. it sounded pretty damn good for what was done, then he put the magnaflow muffler up to it and It literally sounded stock...I was so upset. I ended up having the guy do a custom y out the back and just kept it as a muffler delete. fast forward 2 months later. I want the sound to be a little smoother sounding, don't get me wrong, having a muffler delete sounds damn good. But in my taste, its a little raspy and obnoxious sometimes. I just want a deep smooth sound from my exhaust without the rasp. The loudness is not a problem though, just the rasp. (this definitely turned into a story, not a question lol) heres my question.......... ive seen a couple people from youtube or forums using the Magnaflow 10426 muffler where the stock resonator is on the VT, yes its a muffler, just because its round doesn't make it a resonator lol. And from the videos it sounds kind of like what I want, but like I said, videos online doesn't really give you that straight forward sound like real life does haha. Im curious if anyone has that setup, Muffler delete with the Magnaflow muffler 10426 where the resonator on the VT is, I just want to know if it sounds good but not raspy... Help would definitely be appreciated, im new to the forums, but whats better than to ask the Veloster Turbo forum family themselves!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Have you looked into solo? It's 3 inch vs stock 2.5 inch so it's louder, but it has a muffler. You can also choose between a straight pipe or resonator after the cat. I love mine. It's a lot louder than stock but not ridiculous loud.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If you have the 2nd cat in your mid pipe (under the car) I would gut the 2nd cat first. There's a couple of how to's here and from start to finish it takes maybe 1 hour.
That will improve the low bassy sound a little and won't make it loud since the muffler and resonator are intact. It's a performance booster so it's good to do anyway so if it doesn't improve the sound enough you can still get a cat back or axle back. If you do the 2nd cat delete you only need am axle back or have a muffler shop install an aftermarket muffler of your choosing.
That way you can experiment without paying north of $800 for a cat back that you may not like.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Most of the exhausts out there today for this car sound pretty close to stock while idling. Once you get past about 15% throttle is when they start to come to life. The Magnaflow and CNT Racing exhausts (which are nearly identical) have a very nice growl and some bass when you get up on it. Neither sound like a swarm of 10,000 bees.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Most of the exhausts out there today for this car sound pretty close to stock while idling. Once you get past about 15% throttle is when they start to come to life. The Magnaflow and CNT Racing exhausts (which are nearly identical) have a very nice growl and some bass when you get up on it. Neither sound like a swarm of 10,000 bees.
Something to keep in mind. Most companies that make exhaust systems do their testing on the manual version of the car. The RPM range is different on an auto so one guy telling you there's no drone on the highway can be completely different for you. I had a Gen Coupe 3.8 and got the magnaflow cat back. It was rated as the quietest and close to the stock sound level.

After I installed it I found out that at highway speeds (70-85mph) There was a drone that was annoying. The drone didn't clear until about 90mph. The automatic rpm range at 80mph was about 500 rpm lower than the stick shift and that was all it took. In other words if I was in the stick shift at 80mph I would have been at the same RPM as the auto at 90mph.

Just keep that in mind as you look around. Some of the happiest people I've found were those that had a custom exhaust done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts