Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Veloster Turbo Ultimate
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,
I’ve owned my sonic silver 2020 turbo ultimate for about a month now and am coming up to my first oil change.
I’m thinking I want to either put something like a smaller front anti roll bar or a heavier rear anti roll bar for a first mod? I’ve already ordered some hks spark plugs and a velossa tech big mouth!
Also missed an orange second gen in the Walmart parking lot off Kirkman the other week. If you’re here, message me dude!

Hope you are all staying safe.
-Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assume your experiencing under steer. Is this on stock tires?
Yes. I’ve read they aren’t any good usually from a dealer.

I got a flat on passenger rear and bought a fire hawk Indy 500 to replace it. I read somewhere they are just a rebranded Bridgestone potenza.

I plan to either upgrade the rest to the same next week or wait and just get some Michelin’s when I hit 25,000. I’ve had the car almost a month and I’m at about 3,000 haha

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You're going to spend a lot on tires if you drive that much and go with a low tread wear rated tire. Friend on the coast of NC drives a lot with a VT on 225/40R18 indy 500 and has ~20k miles on his with less than 5k miles life left on them. They only hook when warmer(ambient air, tire, road surface)and do not do well in the rain. He's going to a DWS-06 for better traction in all conditions and much better tire life.

Reactions: sonic_velo.turbo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're going to spend a lot on tires if you drive that much and go with a low tread wear rated tire. Friend on the coast of NC drives a lot with a VT on 225/40R18 indy 500 and has ~20k miles on his with less than 5k miles life left on them. They only hook when warmer(ambient air, tire, road surface)and do not do well in the rain. He's going to a DWS-06 for better traction in all conditions and much better tire life.
I realize that they wear fast but don’t have any issues with that. I’m from Florida, so hydroplaning is a concern.

As far as my understanding is, my current tires are summer performance vs 3 season or winter? If I upgrade all my tires it would be to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3.

Ive read the DWS-06 have better traction in snow and are about equal to the A/S3 in rain, while the A/S3 performs better in dry conditions. Since I hate the cold and don’t deal with snow in Florida. Haha

·
Registered
52 Posts
I realize that they wear fast but don’t have any issues with that. I’m from Florida, so hydroplaning is a concern.

As far as my understanding is, my current tires are summer performance vs 3 season or winter? If I upgrade all my tires it would be to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3.

Ive read the DWS-06 have better traction in snow and are about equal to the A/S3 in rain, while the A/S3 performs better in dry conditions. Since I hate the cold and don’t deal with snow in Florida. Haha
I've got on Pireli P-Zero Nero GT's 225/18/40 here in Central FL. I don't think I've noticed any serious tire degradation. Handles great. Wet is really good (I was driving shitboxes before this car so my reference point might be skewed lol), provided I don't gas it too much.

I do plan to trade over to Toyo Proxes 245/17/40 whenever funds free up for some Konig Rennforms.

Reactions: sonic_velo.turbo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got on Pireli P-Zero Nero GT's 225/18/40 here in Central FL. I don't think I've noticed any serious tire degradation. Handles great. Wet is really good (I was driving shitboxes before this car so my reference point might be skewed lol), provided I don't gas it too much.

I do plan to trade over to Toyo Proxes 245/17/40 whenever funds free up for some Konig Rennforms.
Those will look good! Tires are always an excuse for rims, rims are also an excuse for tires haha

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

The Michelin mentioned are also good just not quite as good overall as the continental in any given conditions. Run the tallest and widest tire you can fit based on wheels and suspension specs. A 255 will be the widest you'll fit on a VT and still clear everything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Michelin mentioned are also good just not quite as good overall as the continental in any given conditions. Run the tallest and widest tire you can fit based on wheels and suspension specs. A 255 will be the widest you'll fit on a VT and still clear everything.
Good how? Ride? Steering response? Traction? Lifespan?

From what I’ve read the Continental are softer In sidewalls and quieter therefore having a longer life. They also do well in snow where Michelin do not because they are firmer and designed more towards dry conditions then all conditions. If I lived in NC or OK I would definitely choose the DWS-06 because of the winters. They definitely seem like the better daily tire especially if you have seasons.Fortunately i do not. Just rain haha another day in paradise!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Everyone must evaluate their choices. After experiencing the grip of 200 tread wear tires I can not go back. All three of my cars have that type of tire, don't care how long they last. When roads are free of traffic I sometimes push to the point of sliding, 200 tread ware tires make this very satisfying, Guess like so many things in life if you have not experienced this level of grip you will not miss it. Just do not make the mistake of challenging someone who has this class of tire on your local highway ramp.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Good how? Ride? Steering response? Traction? Lifespan?

From what I’ve read the Continental are softer In sidewalls and quieter therefore having a longer life. They also do well in snow where Michelin do not because they are firmer and designed more towards dry conditions then all conditions. If I lived in NC or OK I would definitely choose the DWS-06 because of the winters. They definitely seem like the better daily tire especially if you have seasons.Fortunately i do not. Just rain haha another day in paradise!
Either tire will be a good choice. You'd just need to weigh out the pros and cons based on your driving style and budget.

The continental are quieter and better ride quality with longer life. Traction will be the same to slightly better in all conditions, especially better on cooler days even where you live. Not talking just snow or ice but winter months and ambient temperatures. Steering response is a little less than the Michelin but not bad by any means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts