Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope everyone’s having a good day. Today I was looking into installing a new sound system/speakers in my VT and was slightly overwhelmed by the number of products that claim to be the best. I’m curious to know what y’all have or recommend. Also where exactly to buy them.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,428 Posts
Check out FB groups for this as well. There are specific sound groups for the veloster there with a ton of information.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As far as speakers go, I've almost always used junkyard aftermarket speakers and always been pleasantly surprised. That said, good aftermarket speakers have become very cheap, and you almost can't go wrong. Infinity, Kicker, JBL, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, and Kenwood all make very good speakers that will be more than enough for the average enthusiast. I would personally go for speakers with a higher RMS rating versus those advertised with a higher peak power rating. In my experience, the RMS rating (and physical weight) of a speaker is a better indicator of its quality than the oft-advertised peak power rating.

My speakers are running through the stock amp and sound excellent, though sometimes I wish it was louder (I've got some hearing loss :)). I'm also running a $200 pioneer amp through about $60 of Boss subwoofers and still push just about enough bass for my taste. You don't need to spend a great deal to vastly improve your audio system.

TL;DR
If you don't feel like pulling speakers from the local junkyard (I seriously recommend this, they're everywhere and cheap as hell) then I'd go to Amazon. Just make sure you get 6" speakers for all four doors, 3.5" for the center dash, and 9" IIRC for the factory subwoofer location.

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
on another note, clearance pioneer speakers are a huge upgrade for an old kia rio lol

Reactions: L3g10n and misnblu

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
89 Posts
8" DVC 2-Ohm shallow-mount sub for the factory sub location (Gen1 at least, not sure if they upgraded in Gen2). I'm not a huge fan of Rockford Fosgate, but there were pretty minimal options for keeping the OEM box when I was looking, so I dropped in a Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 from Amazon into my OEM enclosure after wrapping the enclosure in KilMat, with a layer of KilMat on the inside as well - and my entire rear cargo area also lined with KilMat. I'll say that yes, it was worth it (that sub only cost about $120 when I bought it, with materials shortages I see they're up to about $200 now) but keep in mind that all speaker positions are receiving bandpassed frequencies from the amplifier (except the two rear speakers, those are getting full-range) so the actual improvement you'll see from speaker replacement alone is not as dramatic as you might expect since the new speakers will be receiving the same frequency range as the old... just will theoretically be able to reproduce those frequencies more efficiently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts