Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a full size spare. Already took a tire off the turbo and placed it in the wheel well. The circumference fits but of course it sits a couple inches above the floor. That does not bother me as I can make some risers and custom up the cargo area. As for the full size spare I am not concerned with matching rims. They want a ton of money for matching rims. I just want a full size spare and the closest thing I can think of is the 2012 style package wheel. There are a few around and selling much cheaper than the 2013 turbo wheel. THe dealer only goes by part numbers and does not have the stats for the wheels. At least not in front of him. My question is would be if the stats on teh 2012 style package wheel be the same as the 2013 turbo wheels? Much is the same, 18x7.5 as well as the bolt pattern. Question would be offset and backspacing. ANd also the worry of the calipers rubbing on the rim if it is off a wee bit. My gut feeling is it would but I would love some stats on both rims. THe turbo to the old "style" package rims. Thanks for any help or direction to point me in.

·
Registered
980 Posts
There is one guy who I saw put style wheels on his Turbo so They definatley fit. I kinda wish I had kept the wheels off my style when I bought my Turbo I liked them more and they had the same exact Tires.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GT. I am assuming the tech package wheels would work as well. May have a chance to get one cheap from someone. And I am glad I had the chance to know that I am not the only one that traded up so soon for the turbo model. I kind of thought they would fit but needed some reassurance as the dealers are clueless. All is VIN numbers matched to part numbers and of course they can only order according to these numbers. As an old Jeep Wrangler guy I use to live by wheel stats. These guys in parts know nothing of stats. Not even the 49mm offset nor the backspacing. He knew the price though 450 bucks!!! for one rim. Not sure it included the chrome inserts, center cap or TPMS part but those are mute points as this was only to be a spare. We plan on doing a lot of trips and I do not wish to get stranded with a tire that cannot be fixed with that fix a flat crap they give us. I will admit though the compressor came in handy when a screw caused a small leak in my rear tire. USed it to get me home from a leaf peeping trip in Vermont and I then plugged the tire. Reminded me of when we would air down for better traction. Use to carry a compressor on all those trips. Will carrry a plug kit with the rest of the crap till I get the spare, jack and center tire hold down that wil fit in the spare tire screw hole in the spare floor.

NICE Shelby by the way. 0-60 in 3 seconds???/

·
Registered
193 Posts
i thought the non-turbo came with a max wheel size of 17" whereas the turbo comes with the 18"; or at least for USA.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought the non-turbo came with a max wheel size of 17" whereas the turbo comes with the 18"; or at least for USA.
The 2012 models had 3 different packages. Base, style, and tech. The base had 17 inch wheels. THe style and tech packages had 18 inch wheels. The style had that 10 spoke spider look to it while the tech package came with five color inserts that matched the color of the car. As far as I know the specs for those rims are the same and I believe they are the same for the 18 inch turbo wheels. They just changed the outside style a bit. GT stated that he saw someone using the 'Style" package type rims from 2012 model year on the 2013 turbo. I pretty much know for sure now that the specs for all 18 inch rims made for Velosters are the same. I would like the specs for all 3 18 inch style rims to compare to see if there are any slight variances but it seems they are all pretty close. And it would make sense from a business point of view that it would keep the manufacturing costs down by changing as little as possible from year to year. ANd it seems only the looks have changed from different models.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks GT. I am assuming the tech package wheels would work as well. May have a chance to get one cheap from someone. And I am glad I had the chance to know that I am not the only one that traded up so soon for the turbo model. I kind of thought they would fit but needed some reassurance as the dealers are clueless. All is VIN numbers matched to part numbers and of course they can only order according to these numbers. As an old Jeep Wrangler guy I use to live by wheel stats. These guys in parts know nothing of stats. Not even the 49mm offset nor the backspacing. He knew the price though 450 bucks!!! for one rim. Not sure it included the chrome inserts, center cap or TPMS part but those are mute points as this was only to be a spare. We plan on doing a lot of trips and I do not wish to get stranded with a tire that cannot be fixed with that fix a flat crap they give us. I will admit though the compressor came in handy when a screw caused a small leak in my rear tire. USed it to get me home from a leaf peeping trip in Vermont and I then plugged the tire. Reminded me of when we would air down for better traction. Use to carry a compressor on all those trips. Will carrry a plug kit with the rest of the crap till I get the spare, jack and center tire hold down that wil fit in the spare tire screw hole in the spare floor.

NICE Shelby by the way. 0-60 in 3 seconds???/

Thanks man. If the car would ever hook it would probably be around there.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you have some patience a few of the VTs are going to show up in the junk yards. If you know a good junk yard they have a system for locating cars and parts across most other yards. Let them know that you want a VT rim and tire or whatever rim and tire you want.

The dealers aren't going to want to break up the set of 4 they take off stock models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yes. After owning a Rubicon Wrangler for many years I have been to many within a 50 mile radius. It would be nice to have a matching spare but any 18 inch veloster wheel would do for a spare. The specs are the same and it will hopefully spend it';s time in the storage area. My goal though would be to get a matching rim with a TPMS. Makes it easier to rotate the tires. Thanks man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts