Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but I should've posted this a long time ago. I have a 2013 VT auto with 20,xxx miles

First of all mods:
-Injen CAI
-Pierce catless dp
-TS FMIC w/ synapse
-JUN bl catback

One day i was driving around (this was months after i had installed any mods) and all of a sudden my car started to miss as i got above 4000rpm. Immediately when I got home I checked the plugs. Look brand new, ok gap. I checked my fuel and boost pressure. Both normal, and no sudden dips or spikes. I called hyundai and they said i was not part of the fuel line recall. I changed the cylinder 3 ignition coil (that's where the miss was). This only happened when i went WOT above 4k rpm. I kept checking my plugs and eventually the gap was bigger. Almost .040. I regapped them to .028 and reset my ecu and voila my car was perfect... for two days. Two days after the regap I started my car and there was a cylinder misfiring on start. This stopped when the car warmed up, but if i slowly let the revs climb it would pop the whole way. If i gave it a lot of gas it was fine. When i was driving all was fine, but then at a stop light the revs would bounce up and down from ~600 to ~800 and i could feel the car shudder. It actually stalled once. I decided I'd stop driving the car. I just checked the plugs and the spark tip for #4 is gone, and all others are black and none of them even have a gap anymore. They were white four days ago.

I would consider myself a relatively capable gearhead but I have no idea what could have caused this misfire to even begin with. Is it even worth buying new plugs and trying to start? And of course if i brought it to the dealer all i would get is "it was probably the mods" and I doubt they'd even do a thorough inspection of the problem. Let alone do it at all.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Did you install catch cans?
Stock plugs or colder plugs?
What brand/type/grade of oil do you use?
How often do you change the oil?

Let's see pics of the plugs.
Make this a post and sticky it in this subforum

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but I should've posted this a long time ago. I have a 2013 VT auto with 20,xxx miles

First of all mods:
-Injen CAI
-Pierce catless dp
-TS FMIC w/ synapse
-JUN bl catback

One day i was driving around (this was months after i had installed any mods) and all of a sudden my car started to miss as i got above 4000rpm. Immediately when I got home I checked the plugs. Look brand new, ok gap. I checked my fuel and boost pressure. Both normal, and no sudden dips or spikes. I called hyundai and they said i was not part of the fuel line recall. I changed the cylinder 3 ignition coil (that's where the miss was). This only happened when i went WOT above 4k rpm. I kept checking my plugs and eventually the gap was bigger. Almost .040. I regapped them to .028 and reset my ecu and voila my car was perfect... for two days. Two days after the regap I started my car and there was a cylinder misfiring on start. This stopped when the car warmed up, but if i slowly let the revs climb it would pop the whole way. If i gave it a lot of gas it was fine. When i was driving all was fine, but then at a stop light the revs would bounce up and down from ~600 to ~800 and i could feel the car shudder. It actually stalled once. I decided I'd stop driving the car. I just checked the plugs and the spark tip for #4 is gone, and all others are black and none of them even have a gap anymore. They were white four days ago.

I would consider myself a relatively capable gearhead but I have no idea what could have caused this misfire to even begin with. Is it even worth buying new plugs and trying to start? And of course if i brought it to the dealer all i would get is "it was probably the mods" and I doubt they'd even do a thorough inspection of the problem. Let alone do it at all.

Not really sure what would cause the issue in the first place other then bad spark plugs. First thing i would do is replace all your plugs with ngk 1422s and do a oil change. Frequently check your gap it should be at 0.28 or near there a .040 would definitely cause spark blow out. Just keep an eye on it, hopefully new plugs with the right gap will resolve the issue.
Gina

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
sorry to hear, I have 55,000 miles, original plugs, original everything 2013...and tuned...?

I guess it is time to start to start looking at your plugs...?

Are you data logging..?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
my stock plugs also exploded at around 20k. the insulation cracked , havent had any issues since then with the oem replacements they swapped in. Also when these go the coils get fried. usually on 1 and 4..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts