Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I had a NA car. I'm a creature of habit and can't break myself from the habit of idling the engine for ~15 seconds before shutting it off to spool down the turbo. Am I living in the past or is this still a best practice?

FTR, I've never had a problem with any of my turbos/superchargers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
that what my buddy did with his mazda speed 6 he said it was to spool down the turbo after hard driving

·
Registered
51 Posts
the reason why you give it a minute before shutting the car off is to let the turbo cool..........if your not beating the crap out the car then there is no point in wait for it..... you could also get a turbo timer which keeps your motor on for a period of time after you turn off the car, but i wouldnt worry about letting the car run

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a couple Greddy Turbo timers that I still use. I think it is still good practice if i'm beating on the car hard. If i'm casually driving around town, it's not a big deal.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
you will not need to do this on the VTurbo or any stock turbo car for that matter. You can if you want, it will not hurt anything.

The reason a lot of people do this, especially aftermarket turbos or after boosting a N/A car is because they use oil cooled turbos.

Pretty much any stock turbo car I know of is water AND oil cooled, so you don't need to use a turbo timer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Modern technology is a great thing, I do not see myself sitting around for half a minute after I stop just waiting to turn the car off...

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
even so, you only really would want to do something like this if you ran the car 'hard' before you decided to park.

If you had an oil cooled turbo and you weren't driving around like a bat out of hell, you could go park your car and turn it off, no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts