Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 VT just started sputtering under a heavy load, check engine light flashes and then stops. Anybody encountered this issue. From a mechanics perspective it feels like a misfire. Also is there any performance coils on the market for these gdi 1.6 turbo cars?

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
Can you give us some info on your car.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,035 Posts
List all codes. List all mods, fuel used, mileage on coils, mileage on plugs, plug gaps.

This is usually a misfire due to plugs, coils, fuel, tune.....

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
What plugs and gaps? What coils are in the car What? What fuel? Oem tune or aftermarket? OEM or aftermarket fuel line?

Car needs proper coils and plugs replaced every 50k miles. Also need to run 91+ octane fuel. If bought used you really need to see what tune is in the car. Also the oem fuel line can be a cause of this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the coils are hyundai, dont know if the plugs or coils have ever been changed. Doesn't have a tune its oem , I've ran 87 octane fuel since I've had it and never had this issue.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
So you need new oem coils ending in 2B110, plugs from a 16+ VT if not planning on tuning the car or upgraded HKS M45XL plugs if planning on tuning. Gap needs to be at .028" on the oem tune or .024" if tuning for more power on pump gas. You need to run 91+ octane in the car if you do not want issues with the car especially on the oem tune or aftermarket tune that may add power.

I can help you with any parts or tuning needs if you want it to run flawlessly just let me know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need all the help I can get , dont know anything about hyundai's I just know I love my VT. How can I communicate with you personally.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Private message

·
Registered
9 Posts
So you need new oem coils ending in 2B110, plugs from a 16+ VT if not planning on tuning the car or upgraded HKS M45XL plugs if planning on tuning. Gap needs to be at .028" on the oem tune or .024" if tuning for more power on pump gas. You need to run 91+ octane in the car if you do not want issues with the car especially on the oem tune or aftermarket tune that may add power.

I can help you with any parts or tuning needs if you want it to run flawlessly just let me know.
What happens if you use OEM plugs on a tuner '16 turbo? Also, coil replacements every 50K too?

I have an exhaust question. I've been reading posts about exhausts here, but I cannot seem to confirm the correct diameter. Is it 2.25", 2.5" or (and I don't think it is...) 3"?

I ask, because I'm looking at the axle back Spintech 6000XLP Pro Street and want to make sure I'm getting the correct inlets/outlets.

Methinks it should be the following: 2.25" inlet centered/2.25" outlets dual.

Any comments?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
What happens if you use OEM plugs on a tuner '16 turbo? Also, coil replacements every 50K too?

I have an exhaust question. I've been reading posts about exhausts here, but I cannot seem to confirm the correct diameter. Is it 2.25", 2.5" or (and I don't think it is...) 3"?

I ask, because I'm looking at the axle back Spintech 6000XLP Pro Street and want to make sure I'm getting the correct inlets/outlets.

Methinks it should be the following: 2.25" inlet centered/2.25" outlets dual.

Any comments?
I responded to your exhaust thread.

Oem 16 VT plugs when gapped to .024" do ok with moderate tunes. Going to a better plug will be safer and allow the tune to be set more agressive.

50 k miles max for plugs and coils. Fyi, oem 16 coils are part number ending in 2B120.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I responded to your exhaust thread.

Oem 16 VT plugs when gapped to .024" do ok with moderate tunes. Going to a better plug will be safer and allow the tune to be set more agressive.

50 k miles max for plugs and coils. Fyi, oem 16 coils are part number ending in 2B120.
Ok. Sounds good. I’m going to get the coils. It’s a moderate tune right now. Once I get the rest of things ok the car I’ll be doing an updated tune. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check your plug wires/boots. I have a 2013 VT and had the same problem. Pulled the plug boots and two of mine had wear spots and the rubber was gone. Was 'short circuiting' the plug and causes a miss under load.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Ok. Sounds good. I’m going to get the coils. It’s a moderate tune right now. Once I get the rest of things ok the car I’ll be doing an updated tune. Much appreciated.
I can get the proper coils for $200 shipped.

What tune do you have now? What issues are you having?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can get the proper coils for $200 shipped.

What tune do you have now? What issues are you having?
It doesn’t sputter per se, but I’m not convinced it is performing perfectly. I average around 22mpg with a mixture of city and highway. It’s been a bit better since replacing the spark plugs. Just feels a bit “chuggy” under load. Could just be me now knowing the car. I’ve only had it one month.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
What tune is in it? What fuel do you use? Mods on the car? Year and transmission?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts