Veloster Turbo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
What tune is in it? What fuel do you use? Mods on the car? Year and transmission?
I need to find out exactly which tune my garage put on it. Hah. Will get back to you on that.
2016 turbo w/6spd man trans. Been using premium gas. K&N Cold air intake and aftermarket blow off valve, which I believe is an HKS (need to double check that). Had nearly 88K when I bought it last month.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,258 Posts
I've heard of Alphaspeed but not speed tuning. Unless the shop is speed tuning and they're using HP tuners.

·
Administrator
6,258 Posts
I got the OP sorted on his issue. Was coils causing the issues but needed plugs as well.

TS Axle sounds like you bought a used VT that you have no idea of the mods or tune on it. That's not a good thing to be trouble free. Many things can cause the symptoms you have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the OP sorted on his issue. Was coils causing the issues but needed plugs as well.

TS Axle sounds like you bought a used VT that you have no idea of the mods or tune on it. That's not a good thing to be trouble free. Many things can cause the symptoms you have.
No, for the most part the car is fine. I'm the one who paid for the tune! hahaha. I may be overstating the issue with the...rhythm of the engine under load. Actually, it reminds me of my old 944 when it accelerates. I'm curious about the mpg that I'm getting so far. But I only replaced the plugs, not the coils. I'm going to swap out the coils when I have new wheels put on in the next week or so. I'll check back in with an update after that. Thanks very much for the help so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, for the most part the car is fine. I'm the one who paid for the tune! hahaha. I may be overstating the issue with the...rhythm of the engine under load. Actually, it reminds me of my old 944 when it accelerates. I'm curious about the mpg that I'm getting so far. But I only replaced the plugs, not the coils. I'm going to swap out the coils when I have new wheels put on in the next week or so. I'll check back in with an update after that. Thanks very much for the help so far.
Hi again,
The tune on my car is — St2 Power Chip. Now I need to research that tune. Is that familiar to anyone?

thanks!

·
Administrator
6,258 Posts
That's nothing good for the car as it's a piggyback that just alters the signals from an already mediocre(safety and performance)oem tune. Only tune to have in these cars should be an ecu tune from Qwik Tyme Performance or SXTH element engineering.

·
Registered
2015 Hyundai Veloster R-Spec
5 Posts
New OEM plug wire set and problem was gone.
Question for you. My 2015 VT manual has been doing this, hesitating under load. I have changed plugs, ignition coils, and even fuel injectors. I wondered if it could be wiring and your response here seems to confirm that. How difficult was it for you to change the wire harness? I called in and they said the ignition coil harness is part of the engine harness. Was it an easy fix for you or was it pretty involved? Thanks in advance for your answer.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,080 Posts
you need to give us more information, like the parts you used, were they oem or aftermarket? plug type? and yes the coil harness is part of the engine harness. did you break the clips?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, all OEM parts, plugs, ignition coils all Hyundai specified and recommended. I actually took it to the dealership and they checked everything made sure they were within specs (which they were), finally suggested replacing the fuel injectors. The car definitely has more pep after fuel injector replacement, but sputtered like crazy today. Always while under load when in 3rd or 4th gear. If I accelerate slow, doesn't happen. Today it had a chittering sound when it happened, like an electrical snap, which made me think cable. I haven't checked the clips on the harness yet.

·
Administrator
6,258 Posts
If misfire codes this can have many potential causes. If no codes or a fuel pressure code it will be oem fuel line related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The check engine light flashed for about 30 seconds. Did this once before. I know they checked the fuel line, vacuum pressure, etc. I used to work on my old Nissan Se-R SpecV, but haven’t worked much on the VT. Haven’t needed to until now. Have any of you changed the engine harness cables? Wondering how much work that will be.

·
Administrator
6,258 Posts
What were the codes? Flashing is usually misfires. If misfires it can be many causes and It is not usually the harness at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What were the codes? Flashing is usually misfires. If misfires it can be many causes and It is not usually the harness at all.
That makes sense. I don't know, I'm panicking. My car has been amazing. Just put a ton of money down for a home and then the car starts acting up. That's life, right? I think you are on the right path, It feel like misfiring. I think the code was a misfire on 3. And it's only when I depress the accelerator past halfway. Idles fine. Slow acceleration is fine. It's when its under demand. I know they rotated the coils and plugs to see if they would throw a code, and it didn't. It ran amazing after the injectors were changed. One of my plugs had a crack in the ceramic one time, so maybe it happened again? I'll start there.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, BTW.

·
Administrator
6,258 Posts
You need to start with proper maintenance, parts, and fuel first and foremost. Proper may not mean do what the dealer suggests or what came on the car or in the owners manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need to start with proper maintenance, parts, and fuel first and foremost. Proper may not mean do what the dealer suggests or what came on the car or in the owners manual.
It's always had 91 octane and has had all the required maintenance. I know I had some aftermarket plugs in it before and it ran fine, but then I was told you should only run the plugs Hyundai recommends. It was the recommended plug that go the crack. After getting the new injectors last week, I put some fuel cleaner in with my next fill up. I just found this forum, so I'll need to do some reading.

·
Administrator
6,258 Posts
You need to list all of your mods, tune, plugs, gaps, coils, miles on each item, maintenance regime, etc then I can point out everything that was done wrong and what to do to correct.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts