Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to see whether you guys suggest an SRI vs. CAI for a 2016 VT manual with 44,000 miles. I know there will be a very small incremental increase until I change the exhaust system out.
This leads me to another question: I want an exhaust system that is free flowing but silent. I do not want a loud intake. What would you suggest?

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
292 Posts
That honestly depends on what priority you place on volume vs performance. If you want a quiet intake, swap the stock panel filter in the airbox with a better flowing one. Almost all aftermarket CAI's and especially SRI's are quite loud, to the point where they nearly drown out the engine sounds with a stock exhaust. To get a good idea, I need to turn the radio in my car up to about 12 or 13 to mostly drown out the sound of the intake, and it's inaudible after 16.

If volume can be compromised, then the sxth element enclosed airbox is likely to be the quietest, because it's enclosed. It's very pricey though.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,411 Posts
Depends on your budget and power goals.

Intake wise you can do free or cheap mods to flow better without much more noise or spend a lot more for even better air flow without a huge hit in intake noise.

On the exhaust side you can gut both cats and it will flow much better and still be quiet or you can spend much more $ for a 3" turbo back setup that flows even better with very little noise.

For intake and exhaust free/cheap vs $$$$ may result in ~10 hp difference when pushing the car hard on the oem turbo.

·
Registered
2013 Vitamin-C Veloster Turbo M/T
17 Posts
I have a cold air intake and sucked up water the other day by accident lol. Almost destroyed my engine. Be careful with em. My AEM CAI isn't super loud, but I imagine that a SRI with a decent heat shield might be fairly tame. I only really hear mine if I'm doing pulls or with the windows down. Even then, if I'm driving normally it's not super noticeable IMO. As for an exhaust, you'd probably have to pay quite a bit more for something aftermarket that isn't super loud. The cheaper end exhausts like MBRP(~$5-600) and such seem pretty loud from everything I've seen. Magnaflows seem to have a lower growl and nice tone but I havent heard em In person so take that with a grain of salt. Magaflows also will run you closer to a grand. You can find a fair amount of Veloster exhaust videos to get an idea of what you want.
Font Auto part Automotive exterior Elbow Event

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,160 Posts
the borla touring is a perfect fit and has two mufflers built in. it is without a doubt the quietest aftermarket system for our cars. with the half-gut cat, i get some pops and burbles at high rpm deceleration.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had an aem sri for a while. It was very loud at cold starts. People would turn and look nearly every time I left work. 10% of the time it was really cool, 45% of the time I could take the sound or leave it, 45% of the time it was annoying/embarrassing.
Now I have a drop in filter, front snorkel removed (some times), and I opened up the side of my lower airbox. Total cost was like $50 including a brand new OEM lower air and a killer deal on my filter. Its a little loud on cold starts but my exhaust is louder.

My evilla mid pipe without resonator and with a stock muffler sounds great and isn't loud other than, once again, cold starts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts