Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 2014, 112k miles, more highway than city. My problem is that sometimes the clutch pedal sticks to the floor. Obviously the car won't shift when this happens. I have to physically take my foot, hook it under the pedal, and pull it up. It sounds like the pedal is spring loaded and pops back into place when I do this. What's causing the pedal to stick? The clutch engages pretty close to the floor. I'm thinking either the clutch is starting to wear (but that won't cause pedal to stick ) or there is air in the line (which would cause pedal to engage close to the floor).

Are the clutches in these cars hydraulic or cable? I've searched the site for "sticking clutch pedal" and came up with zero results. Anyone have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction on what the culprit is and how to fix? This is really the first time i've been able to get on the forum and look around.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
they are hydraulic pedals, unfortunately the clutch master cylinder is in the trans...

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
How often have you changed the brake/clutch fluid and when was the last time it was changed? Is the reservoir full now?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How often have you changed the brake/clutch fluid and when was the last time it was changed? Is the reservoir full now?
Never and Never. I definitely neglected the maintenance aspect, but now am trying to catch up. I couldn't even find the reservoir in the engine bay. maybe I should try looking again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doh!!! I thought that was the brake master cylinder. What would that have to do with the clutch? From what I've been reading, it would appear that the slave cylinder is the culprit for the low pedal engagement, and possibly the pedal sticking to the floor and not returning to the up position.

Is there a how-to or step by step to pulling the trans and replacing the slave cylinder?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brake and clutch share the same fluid. Might as well start simple and bleed the clutch line first, more than likely the fluid needs to be replaced anyway.
I know the fluids are the same, but are the systems/cylinders linked in some way? Is that what you are trying to say?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I know the fluids are the same, but are the systems/cylinders linked in some way? Is that what you are trying to say?
The bleed valve for the clutch is under the air intake, so pump the clutch pedal, bleed the clutch valve, get the feeling you prefer in the pedal then top up the brake fluid tank. The systems are only linked by means of using the same fluid. But as I said the fluid likely needs to be replaced anyway requiring every corner to be bled

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had the same issue. It was after i had a mechanic replace my clutch. He had mentioned that the clutch probably still would need additional subsequent bleeding. It hasn't happened for quite awhile now. Anyone know what fluid is best for it- DOT 3, DOT4..?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
The majority of racing brake fluids are DOT4; find one with a high wet boiling point that meets your budget and availability requirements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve already replaced these fluids and I’m having the same thing happening to mine. Do I need to replace my entire clutch? Although my breaks are giving me issues too with new break pads. If they’re connected I don’t understand why they’re having a problem since they’ve been replaced. I have a 2016 veloster turbo r spec with 70k miles.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,260 Posts
I’ve already replaced these fluids and I’m having the same thing happening to mine. Do I need to replace my entire clutch? Although my breaks are giving me issues too with new break pads. If they’re connected I don’t understand why they’re having a problem since they’ve been replaced. I have a 2016 veloster turbo r spec with 70k miles.
Welcome to the forum

What issues are you having exactly?

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
Sounds like you need to rebleed everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome.

My clutch petal gets stuck usually while I’m trying to shift gears. Doesn’t appear to correlate with any particular gear or RPM range either. My breaks were just replaced and work well however, sometimes they will act up and become extremely gushy to where I can have my foot to the floor and there is minimal actual breaking happening. I run into the breaking issue far less often than the clutch getting stuck in.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Brakes can be the brakes themselves or the fluid not to spec or too hot. Clufch may need adjusted, bled, or changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brakes can be the brakes themselves or the fluid not to spec or too hot. Clufch may need adjusted, bled, or changed.
Alright thanks. I’ll check a little deeper into that, especially the clutch. I know I have the right fluid and I just changed the break pads but you might be onto something with it getting too hot. I live in an extremely hot area so maybe that’s my issue. Is there anything you’d suggest to keep it cooled down?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Brakes and fluid can get too hot when used heavily. This can degrade the fluid making it less effective and can warp the rotors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts