Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Veloster Rally Edition
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a Veloster Rally Edition and found this awesome forum so I figured I would share my build and future plans. I've been taking a lot of information from here over the last couple of months because I know barely anything about Velosters or Hyundai in general (I owned and was building an EG civic for 12 years before buying this car).

I bought the car, salvage title, from my dad's repair shop on the west coast. The first owner did a whole heap of modifications and I'm still learning what all has been done by inspecting and taking it apart to work on it. Just a week before I flew over to buy the car someone keyed it so the paint has one long scratch that wraps 3/4ths the way around the car... I will eventually have it repainted (same color) but its a bit low on my priority list as the car has a few issues. The clutch has been absolutely trashed, the flywheel is warped and the transmission may have some resulting damage to it. I've already fixed quite a bit since I bought it and drove it across the country back home but for what I paid for it I'm not complaining. Its been a hell of a car so far. Pulls really hard... loud as shit... I love it!

I will keep editing this initial post with updates and continue to add posts on work that has been done with pictures, parts and whatever else relating to the build. For now here are a few pictures of the car after I got it home.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200406171733954.jpg IMG_20200406_171901~2.jpg IMG_20200406_174718.jpg IMG_20200406_174701~2.jpg IMG_20200406_172024.jpg IMG_20200406_174809.jpg

Now onto what I've done so far. (This will constantly be updated)

Maintenance / Repairs:
Replaced the radiator fan assembly
Replaced the AC compressor and hoses
Replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders
Redline MT-85 transmission fluid
Cerma MT additive
Mobil1 full-synthetic oil
Straightened all four Ray's wheels (bent)

Performance Mods:
Injen SRI
HKS M45XL iridium spark plugs
Borla axleback exhaust
3" turbo downpipe
Carbon fiber rear spoiler
Spec-D headlights
Aftermarket clutch kit
Black vinyl wrap on the roof
EBC Green stuff brake pads
Pirelli P-zero Nero tires

Appearance Mods:
Mishimoto black weighted shift knob
Alla Lighting 3000K fog lights
Rallyarmor UR mud flaps
KSP 20mm f/r wheel spacers
G2 Gold caliper paint (after painting them I don't really like the gold so I'm going to go blue)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plans for the build:
I am going for a clean-looking "street version of a rally car" build that is quick with good handling for my aggressive driving style. I'm kind of inspired by the Hyundai i20 rally car's looks. I drive the car daily to work (roughly 70 miles round trip, all highway) and run a small business from home so it may take a while to finish everything with barely any time to take it apart. I plan on doing as much of the work myself as possible, but I am not a trained mechanic so the more intense stuff (like the clutch replacement and transmission work) will be done at a shop. The first stage of work will be fixing the major mechanical and drivability issues while doing minor visual upgrades. Then I'll start getting more into the performance mods.

Appearance:
Roadruns R grill
Front splitter with tie rods
OPT7 Aura underglow kit
HID upgrade (purchased, need to install)
Fix matte blue paint
Matte black trim
Powder coat wheels (satin dark graphite)
Custom rally pod light set, painted matte blue, based off of the i20 rally car (detachable)
Custom rear spoiler, matte blue or cf wrapped (I do like the one I have, but later on I might get a larger WRC style wing made)

Suspension / Brakes / Wheels:
Stainless brake lines
EBC S9 brake kit f/r black slotted rotors
Pierce rear torsion bar
Pierce strut brace
Pierce front tie bar brace
BC racing coilovers or equivalent

Performance:
Pierce performance clutch kit - top priority right now
Throttle body upgrade from Elantra
SXTH fuel pump feed kit
SXTH hot pipe upgrade
Borla cat-back exhaust
Tune by SXTH or Tork to my specs, aiming for around 275hp.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
3,903 Posts
Cool find and can't wait to see what you do. Let us know if you want/need and parts and tuning recommendations. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
Any chance you could take photos of the back hub of the wheels for us?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I second this although I've seen them before

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup will do I'm gonna work on car a bit this weekend I'll snap some pics!

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2016 VT M/T
28 Posts
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a Veloster Rally Edition and found this awesome forum so I figured I would share my build and future plans. I've been taking a lot of information from here over the last couple of months because I know barely anything about Velosters or Hyundai in general (I owned and was building an EG civic for 12 years before buying this car).

I bought the car, salvage title, from my dad's repair shop on the west coast. The first owner did a whole heap of modifications that I am still trying to figure out exactly what has been done to the car. Just a week before I flew over to buy the car someone keyed it so the paint has one long scratch that wraps 3/4ths the way around the car... but it shall be repaired eventually. Also the clutch has been absolutely trashed... so my first line of business before any further performance mods is to replace that with the Pierce Motorsports clutch kit and possibly the flywheel if the one on the car cannot be resurfaced. I've already fixed quite a bit but for what I paid for it I'm not complaining. Its been a hell of a car so far. Pulls really hard... loud as shit... I love it!

View attachment 105534 View attachment 105535 View attachment 105536 View attachment 105537 View attachment 105538 View attachment 105539

What's been done so far (that I know of):
Injen SRI
BOV (not sure what brand, haven't checked yet but its substantially loud)
Borla catback exhaust
3" turbo downpipe
Carbon fiber rear spoiler
Aftermarket headlights (?)
Aftermarket clutch kit (I will replace this ASAP)
Car has been tuned and feels well past its stock hp.
Black vinyl wrap on the roof
Rally Edition's factory suspension is pretty solid already, but I will need to replace shocks soon.

What I've done so far:
Mishimoto weighted 5" shift knob
Replaced the radiator fan assembly
Replaced the AC compressor and hoses
Replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders
New Pirelli Pzero Nero tires
Redline MT-85 transmission fluid
Cerma MT additive
Mobil1 full-synthetic oil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plans for the build:
I am going for a clean-looking rally build that is quick with good handling for the occasional track day or spirited back-country twisty roads. I'm kind of inspired by the Hyundai i20 rally car's looks. I drive the car daily to work (roughly 70 miles round trip) so it may take a while to finish everything with barely any time to take it apart. I plan on doing as much of the work myself as possible, but I am not a trained mechanic so the more intense stuff will be done at the shop.

Exterior:
Roadruns R grille
Rallyarmor mudflaps black / red logo
Front cf splitter with tie rods
Fog light bright yellow upgrade
OPT7 Aura underglow kit
Custom rally pod light set (matte blue)
Custom rear spoiler, matte blue or cf wrapped (WRC style, like the i20)
Matte blue paint (fix)
Matte black trim

Suspension / Brakes / Wheels:
Keeping the Ray's GramLights 18x7.5
20mm f/r wheel spacers
Red caliper paint
Muteki SR48 red lug nuts (already purchased)
Stainless brake lines
EBC S9 brake kit f/r black slotted rotors
Pierce rear torsion bar
Pierce strut brace
Pierce front tie bar brace

Performance:
Pierce performance clutch kit
AEM water/meth injection kit
Throttle body upgrade from Elantra
HKS M40 spark plugs
SXTH fuel pump feed kit
Tune by SXTH or Tork to my specs
The headlights are from Spec-D Tuning. I have the same pair. They look amazing but the projectors leave more to be wanted in terms of brightness. I bought a set of HIDs (haven’t installed yet) to replace the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
2016 VT M/T
28 Posts
The headlights are from Spec-D Tuning. I have the same pair. They look amazing but the projectors leave more to be wanted in terms of brightness. I bought a set of HIDs (haven’t installed yet) to replace the stock bulbs.
Here’s a pic of my led fogs and the spec-ds-

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm not a fan of the brightness on the headlights, I'm trying to find a good replacement for bulbs but I haven't done any research into lighting yet. Which did you go for headlights and fog lights? I want those bright yellow ones!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had some spare time this weekend to work on the car and I've been having issues with the radiator fan not blowing recently.. its been overheating a lot since we've had damn near 100 degree weather every day for the past three weeks. I've narrowed it down to possibly the harness or a relay not working. It only overheated when I was sitting long enough at a drive thru or while driving in the city which I don't do on my normal commute. Been heatsinking it by blowing hot air through the cabin vents which seems to work for now. I'm going to try and rewire a new harness this week. I suspect the original harness was damaged in the accident and never replaced.

While I had the bumper off I figured I'd replace some bulbs! Fog lights from Alla lighting are installed and look dope as hell! Then I moved onto the headlights...

The Auxbeam lights with the massive heatsinks will not fit into the Spec-D headlights. The housing for the bulb is not centered in the hole so the heatsink cannot fit in properly. This isn't a fault from Auxbeam but from Spec-D.. My friend and I spent over an hour trying to get it to fit somehow, pretty much taking apart the entire headlight assembly but stopping short of cutting stuff open, I figured it wasn't worth it so I am going to try the HID Xenon lights next because from the pictures they do not appear to have those massive heatsinks and should fit the Spec-D light's housing without modification.

IMG_20200816_143510.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200816155656186_COVER.jpg 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200816181632378.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
Just noticed the rays wheel says 5x100 instead of 5x114 lol

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
it happens. they were probably 5x100 blanks, hyundai struck a deal and there we go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I actually measured the bolt pattern and it is 5x114.3 not 5x100. The replacement wheels come as 5x114.3 as well which makes sense I had a guy from Turbosocks look them up for me when I asked about the spacers. Must be a misprint.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I have a set of OG Ray's Volk SE37K wheels and they have both cast into it but also have 2 sets of holes as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
So I actually measured the bolt pattern and it is 5x114.3 not 5x100. The replacement wheels come as 5x114.3 as well which makes sense I had a guy from Turbosocks look them up for me when I asked about the spacers. Must be a misprint.
well of course they are 5x114 lol

Reactions: Striker-X
1 - 20 of 39 Posts