Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Stiker-X's 2016 Veloster Rally Edition M/T build

13K views 50 replies 6 participants last post by  trdtoy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a Veloster Rally Edition and found this awesome forum so I figured I would share my build and future plans. I've been taking a lot of information from here over the last couple of months because I know barely anything about Velosters or Hyundai in general (I owned and was building an EG civic for 12 years before buying this car).

I bought the car, repaired title, from my dad's shop on the west coast and immediately drove 3000 miles back home to the east coast. The first owner did a whole heap of modifications and have been busy the last few months fixing and upgrading it. For what I paid for it though I'm not complaining. Its been a hell of a car so far. Pulls really hard... loud as shit... I love it!

I will keep editing this initial post with updates and continue to add posts on work that has been done with pictures, parts and whatever else relating to the build. For now here are a few pictures of the car after I got it home.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai Hyundai veloster
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Hot hatch
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hyundai veloster Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Center console

Now onto what I've done so far. (This will constantly be updated)

Maintenance / Repairs:
Replaced the radiator fan assembly - having an ongoing issue with overheating...
Replaced the AC compressor and hoses
Replaced the clutch master cylinder
Replaced the clutch slave cylinder / throw-out bearing
Redline MT-85 transmission fluid
Cerma MT additive
Cerma engine treatment
Cerma fuel treatment
Motul Xcess Gen-2 5w40 motor oil
OEM Hyundai oil filter
OEM Denso coil packs
Straightened all four rims
Replaced washer fluid motor

Performance:
SXTH Element Stage 1 ECU calibration
SXTH Element IC hot pipe
Injen short ram intake
Injen super-nano web dry air filter
Borla axle-back exhaust
HKS M45XL iridium spark plugs
BOV vented to atmosphere
Mishimoto 2-port baffled oil catch can
Mishimoto magnetic oil drain plug
Mishimoto oil filler cap
EBC Green Stuff brake pads
Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires 225/40-18
KSP 20mm f/r wheel spacers
Aasco 6-puck ceramic clutch
Aasco lightweight flywheel
(stock) B&M short throw shifter*
(stock) sport suspension kit*

*These came with the Rally Edition trim from the dealer

Interior / Exterior Appearance:
DG Motorsports carbon fiber rear spoiler
No-name (ebay) front splitter with tie rods
Turbosocks anti-sag brackets
Rallyarmor UR mudflaps
G2 gold caliper paint
Spec-D headlight housings
6000k HID conversion
3000k fog light bulbs
Roof wrap in satin black
Mishimoto 4" black weighted shift knob
K&N cabin air filter

See less See more
#3 ·
Any chance you could take photos of the back hub of the wheels for us?

#6 ·
Thanks!!

#7 ·
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a Veloster Rally Edition and found this awesome forum so I figured I would share my build and future plans. I've been taking a lot of information from here over the last couple of months because I know barely anything about Velosters or Hyundai in general (I owned and was building an EG civic for 12 years before buying this car).

I bought the car, salvage title, from my dad's repair shop on the west coast. The first owner did a whole heap of modifications that I am still trying to figure out exactly what has been done to the car. Just a week before I flew over to buy the car someone keyed it so the paint has one long scratch that wraps 3/4ths the way around the car... but it shall be repaired eventually. Also the clutch has been absolutely trashed... so my first line of business before any further performance mods is to replace that with the Pierce Motorsports clutch kit and possibly the flywheel if the one on the car cannot be resurfaced. I've already fixed quite a bit but for what I paid for it I'm not complaining. Its been a hell of a car so far. Pulls really hard... loud as shit... I love it!

View attachment 105534 View attachment 105535 View attachment 105536 View attachment 105537 View attachment 105538 View attachment 105539

What's been done so far (that I know of):
Injen SRI
BOV (not sure what brand, haven't checked yet but its substantially loud)
Borla catback exhaust
3" turbo downpipe
Carbon fiber rear spoiler
Aftermarket headlights (?)
Aftermarket clutch kit (I will replace this ASAP)
Car has been tuned and feels well past its stock hp.
Black vinyl wrap on the roof
Rally Edition's factory suspension is pretty solid already, but I will need to replace shocks soon.

What I've done so far:
Mishimoto weighted 5" shift knob
Replaced the radiator fan assembly
Replaced the AC compressor and hoses
Replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders
New Pirelli Pzero Nero tires
Redline MT-85 transmission fluid
Cerma MT additive
Mobil1 full-synthetic oil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plans for the build:
I am going for a clean-looking rally build that is quick with good handling for the occasional track day or spirited back-country twisty roads. I'm kind of inspired by the Hyundai i20 rally car's looks. I drive the car daily to work (roughly 70 miles round trip) so it may take a while to finish everything with barely any time to take it apart. I plan on doing as much of the work myself as possible, but I am not a trained mechanic so the more intense stuff will be done at the shop.

Exterior:
Roadruns R grille
Rallyarmor mudflaps black / red logo
Front cf splitter with tie rods
Fog light bright yellow upgrade
OPT7 Aura underglow kit
Custom rally pod light set (matte blue)
Custom rear spoiler, matte blue or cf wrapped (WRC style, like the i20)
Matte blue paint (fix)
Matte black trim

Suspension / Brakes / Wheels:
Keeping the Ray's GramLights 18x7.5
20mm f/r wheel spacers
Red caliper paint
Muteki SR48 red lug nuts (already purchased)
Stainless brake lines
EBC S9 brake kit f/r black slotted rotors
Pierce rear torsion bar
Pierce strut brace
Pierce front tie bar brace

Performance:
Pierce performance clutch kit
AEM water/meth injection kit
Throttle body upgrade from Elantra
HKS M40 spark plugs
SXTH fuel pump feed kit
Tune by SXTH or Tork to my specs
The headlights are from Spec-D Tuning. I have the same pair. They look amazing but the projectors leave more to be wanted in terms of brightness. I bought a set of HIDs (haven’t installed yet) to replace the stock bulbs.

#9 ·
Yeah I'm not a fan of the brightness on the headlights, I'm trying to find a good replacement for bulbs but I haven't done any research into lighting yet. Which did you go for headlights and fog lights? I want those bright yellow ones!!

#13 ·
Had some spare time this weekend to work on the car and I've been having issues with the radiator fan not blowing recently.. its been overheating a lot since we've had damn near 100 degree weather every day for the past three weeks. I've narrowed it down to possibly the harness or a relay not working. It only overheated when I was sitting long enough at a drive thru or while driving in the city which I don't do on my normal commute. Been heatsinking it by blowing hot air through the cabin vents which seems to work for now. I'm going to try and rewire a new harness this week. I suspect the original harness was damaged in the accident and never replaced.

While I had the bumper off I figured I'd replace some bulbs! Fog lights from Alla lighting are installed and look dope as hell! Then I moved onto the headlights...

The Auxbeam lights with the massive heatsinks will not fit into the Spec-D headlights. The housing for the bulb is not centered in the hole so the heatsink cannot fit in properly. This isn't a fault from Auxbeam but from Spec-D.. My friend and I spent over an hour trying to get it to fit somehow, pretty much taking apart the entire headlight assembly but stopping short of cutting stuff open, I figured it wasn't worth it so I am going to try the HID Xenon lights next because from the pictures they do not appear to have those massive heatsinks and should fit the Spec-D light's housing without modification.

Business card Logo Box Brand Label
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Bumper
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Car

#14 ·
Just noticed the rays wheel says 5x100 instead of 5x114 lol

#17 ·
it happens. they were probably 5x100 blanks, hyundai struck a deal and there we go.

#18 ·
So I actually measured the bolt pattern and it is 5x114.3 not 5x100. The replacement wheels come as 5x114.3 as well which makes sense I had a guy from Turbosocks look them up for me when I asked about the spacers. Must be a misprint.

#20 ·
well of course they are 5x114 lol

Reactions: Striker-X
#21 · (Edited)
Well I had ordered a few more exterior upgrades I was going to try and install last weekend until I started throwing a cylinder 4 misfire code. Being close to 50k miles my first thought was spark plugs but I decided to swap the coils for cylinder 1 and 4 and while doing so I found oil residue on the coil pack. From what I understand this could be a failing rod or cylinder head..? Or the valve cover gasket? I was doing this diagnosis while late for work and in my rush I also sheared the head off of one of the ignition coil bolts so I also need to replace that... 🤦🏻‍♂️
Ended up taking the wife's car to work instead lol.

Update: I snapped a few pics of my f-up.

Technology Measuring instrument Electronic device Electronics Electric blue
Auto part Engine

#22 ·
What all specific mods related to power do you have? What fuel do you run? What oil? Did you get the overheating addressed yet? When did the misfire code pop up(under what conditions)?

#23 ·
Injen 3" intake, not sure what brand turbo downpipe, borla axleback exhaust, as far as I can tell everything else is stock including BOV but just vented to atmosphere. I only run Shell 93 octane fuel. Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. Radiator fan wiring harness is cause of overheating issue but temps have cooled down here and since I only drive highway I haven't overheated in the last 30 days, I just haven't had time to replace it yet.

Misfire code popped up after the car sat for two days in the garage without use.

#25 ·
I assume OEM for plugs and coils, 49k miles as I have not changed them yet since owning the car. I will check the gap when I pull them but I am going to swap out for the HKS M40XL plugs regardless. Not sure of tune as I didn't install any of the current mods, is there a way for me to check that? Code popped up on startup and hasn't gone away. I haven't cleared it yet because I wanted to swap the coils cyl 1 and 4 to check if it was a bad coil. I would've cleared it today to test it but I snapped the ignition coil bolt so I never got a chance.

#26 ·
Swapping in the HKS M40XL is pointless as same heat range as the oem. HKS M45XL would be the way to go if upgrading. I have those in stock for $110 shipped if you need them.

The 16 coils do not usually show issues at 49k miles like the 13-15 VT coils may but anything is possible. If you need coils I can get them for $200/set.

Tune can be pulled to see if stock or not or the car can be datalogged to determine that pretty quickly.

#28 ·
Giving a quick update: cylinders 1 and 3 both have a small amount of oil leaking into the ignition coil chamber (odd because cyl. 4 was the one misfiring). I will be replacing the valve gasket cover, cleaning out the chambers and replacing the spark plugs. Luckily I took some time off work this week so I'll have time to do this and all the other stuff I had planned :ROFLMAO:
Auto part Engine Metal
Auto part Engine Pipe Fuel line Vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.