Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for work, I spend around 6 months of the year abroad. I park my Veloster on my family farm. Its partially covered from the weather but the barn it is in is only 2 walls and a roof.
When I came back this year the flys had nested in the door sills around the rubber which were disgusting.

Anyone got any recommendations for storing a car over the summer for a long period of time. Ways to stop moisture affecting metalwork or the interior?

Also, anyone got any cover recommendations.

Also Im new to the forum, so HI everyone. Got a 2014 Veloster turbo in white with only 36k milles on the clock. I'm in the UK which makes my car rare as only 2600 were sold in the UK.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I love the rare part! Welcome!

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it were me, I'd put the car up on jacks so you don't get flat spots on the tyres. If you're unable to do this, over-inflate the tyres. Use a synthetic oil and change it prior to leaving. Fill the tank with high octane fuel, again just before leaving. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Get a quality outdoor car cover. Wash the car just prior to putting the cover on. Maybe put some rat poison in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Having a similar situation years back with one of my cars I tried using a car cover but even then there would be bugs and flying critters that would still nest between the cover and car. Where the cover was loose was the main areas affected.

You'll also have to use a fuel stabilizer to keep the fuel from going bad. Sta-bil fuel stabilizer works best for this purpose as does SeaFoam fuel treatment.

Everything @Incognito mentioned I would also do and did to my car.
5 years later I finally cranked the car again and started right up. I was amazed.

The car cover would be a great idea as long as you secure it all the way around the car. There should be provisions on the cover to secure the sides and I made some of my own to secure the front and back of the car as best as I could.
I had mostly problems with spiders and wasps trying to nest but never had issues with anything getting into the door seals or under the hood.

Good luck. ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
You need to watch out for electrical problems caused by small vermin eating the tasty wire insulation.
The insulation is made with something that is plant or cellulose-based and the little rodents just love it.

Can cause odd electrical gremlins, and has been known to result in shorts between wires.

I live in rural Texas and there is nothing which seems to stop the little beasties. They get my car anywhere it is parked, inside or outside.
Have those green mouse blocks all over the garage and around the tires on the driveway so they will hopefully get eaten before the wiring is.

And you CAN take care of the mice with a .357, but you need to have a very good aim when they are NOT on the car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts