Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i preface this question by saying my VT has no mods and only 400 total miles on it........no sure if this is a GDI thing or not.....i noticed today for the 1st time that while on the express way attempting to pass someone the turbo was spooling building boost and making an unusual sound that sounded like a playing card in the spokes of your bicycle. It goes away under full boost... I may not of noticed in the past as i was always driving w/ the radio on. Now i'm obsessed w/this noise as it sounds like the turbo wants to swallow a piece of paper....not good....i have owned a MKV gti and had a bad recirculating valve that made a similar noise under boost....I set an appointment to check it out as i feel confident i can replicate the noise.....Any one notice else notice this??

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That is not normal. Mine is super quiet and smooth so far for the first 1,000 miles.

It sounds like maybe the wastegate servo is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
407 Posts
When you drive it next and it does this, press the pedal to the floor. If it goes away then it is the ECU just trying to keep boost levels under control at partial throttle. In mine at 3/4 throttle you can feel a little bit of the car surging as the ECU tries to keep the appropriate amount of boost pressure.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I am still getting that subtle surging - and I don't like it. But it definitely does not make any noise like you are describing.

Thanks for the surging tip Toonster. I'm going to try that and see if that is how mine is behaving too. My theory was the ECU was limiting my turbo until I got past 1,200 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you drive it next and it does this, press the pedal to the floor. If it goes away then it is the ECU just trying to keep boost levels under control at partial throttle. In mine at 3/4 throttle you can feel a little bit of the car surging as the ECU tries to keep the appropriate amount of boost pressure.
thats was in the back of my mind as a possibility. Your probably right.... ehhhhh lets see what the stealership says....worst case senerio i can put some miles on one of their car :) ...thanks for the feedback..

·
Registered
77 Posts
"...the turbo was spooling building boost and making an unusual sound that sounded like a playing card in the spokes of your bicycle..."
Glad I saw this post because that is EXACTLY the same sound I heard just once when I had about 1,000 miles on the odometer. I had the windows down and sunroof open when I did a quick stomp on the accelerator to pass as freeway speed. Upon initial boost that exact sound lasted for only a microsecond and I was confused because I wasn't sure if the sound came from my car or something outside around me. At any rate I now have 2,700 miles on the odometer, have most certainly done some hard accelerations since that incident and have never heard that sound again. Maybe my Turbo is like me. It farts once in a while. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
I still have yet to fart in my car and it's been just over two months now.
I gave up on the new car smell ever since I found out the toxics from the port and manufacture are horrible for you. Plus, I practically have my sunroof open all the time now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts