Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying i've worked the trouble for a few years it used to come and go but now it's more permanent.

112000 miles. all of it's life on shell 93. dealer oil changes conventional quaker state every 3000-3500 miles.

i used to have a p0456 and p0442 but the p0456 was remedied with a new canister close valve. the old valve did look a bit chewed.

i've tested the pcv, and the valve above the throttlebody as well as the vacuum hose with the check valve. and the new CCV with a vacuum gauge. the CCV filter is mostly clean.

fuel filler cap has been replaced and recently i flipped the gasket on it and sanded smooth the filler neck.

i've double checked all my vacuum hoses and made sure the ones to the catch can were tight and sealed, and the can holds vacuum.

i'm not really sure what else to check to be honest :) i've read up on stuff online to check emissions but everything short of a smoke test seems OK. the car runs fine even with the code for several thousand miles. literally great (maybe a small issue with the bov again which i'll fix eventually, only getting 15-16lbs of boost).

what do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the car also has ZERO history of misfires. original coils. 3rd set of OEM plugs gapped properly.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Was there a TSB or something for this from the dealers?

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car has had the knock sensor update, fuel line replaced and some evap recall done at some point.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
See if dealer can help. I think there was a flash to help this or something similar

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm going to build a DIY smoke machine today.

dealer won't touch the car without paying the diagnostic fee.

Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Any updates?
Why not pay the diagnostic fee?

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll have updates soon. i need a few more parts for the machine. i love doing stuff like this and i'll use it on the kia too (which is codeless for now!)

i had a great rapport with my local dealership for many years but early last year they replaced the entire service writer staff, moved them to a newer dealership about 25 minutes further away. long story short, i came in for this shortly after that for an oil change and mentioned the purge valve and i was curious if that was one of the culprits... they just went ahead and diagnosed it and tried to charge me the fee when i picked up the car - then told me it would be about thrice that for the part and labor LOL. made no mention that i wanted it diagnosed just wanted to know if it was. i knew already the purge valve was hosed which i told the writer and later that week i replaced it myself but it was a WTF moment for me and i've been very precise about words and my needs since.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Sneaky

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d think if the map sensor was having trouble I would have a different code or issue. I don’t see anything related to evap there. But it’s a thought I’ll check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
345 Posts
I’d think if the map sensor was having trouble I would have a different code or issue. I don’t see anything related to evap there. But it’s a thought I’ll check it out tomorrow.
The reason I asked is that on the Cavaliers if the gas cap was loose it was the map sensor in the gas tank that sent code because it saw a leak in the system.
It was also a cause for evap codes and replacing it would fix the problem at times.
I haven't personally looked
For one on the Hyundai but I'd figure this was a common practice on many cars to read pressure in the fuel tank via a map sensor.

Anyway good luck with it. Hope it's an easy fix. 🙏🏽👍

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i gotcha! i'll check the manual and see if there is something im missing.

anyways the smoke machine is semi ready. just need a new glass jar with a plastic cap. i had one with a metal cap and drilled into it before i realized what i was doing, lol

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just need a hose and fashion a grommet for the intake tube to check there then I’m ready.
Long story short the cotton will smolder inside and full with smoke for about 10-15 seconds. then you use an air pump to push it through the system.
I’ve seen it done. Should be fine haha

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mostly final product testing Sunday! I’ll do the intake/pcv and after the catch can.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This worked out fine! However there was no leaks to be found up front. I need a better intake plug and I may try again.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
after about 600 miles happy to report atleast the P0456 has not come back lol

car still operating normally. no weird smells, no power being pulled, getting good acceleration and boosts. will have time next week to do a deeper dive.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally bit the bullet after testing and retesting and scheduled a dealer visit for next Wednesday for $135.

I explained everything to the advisor and he wanted me to write everything down I’ve tested and changed and the mileage.

they are just going to diag it as I’m not spending $350 to end up having them replace a damn purge solenoid control valve lol hoping it’s something I can’t see. Their machines are better than what I have on hand for testing anyways. I can’t hook anything up when it says “plug in the computer and run the test” in the Fsm.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well then... free diag and part. I’m just as surprised as you are. Hopefully this is it !

So what I missed was that the charcoal canister won’t load up unless the car is moving, evap doesnt run unless conditions are met and the gas tank needs to be between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Since I had no way to check it in the garage, and there was no smoke or vacuum going into it, it seemed OK. I should have removed it from the car and taken a closer look.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
345 Posts
Well then... free diag and part. I’m just as surprised as you are. Hopefully this is it !

So what I missed was that the charcoal canister won’t load up unless the car is moving, evap doesnt run unless conditions are met and the gas tank needs to be between 1/4 and 3/4 full. Since I had no way to check it in the garage, and there was no smoke or vacuum going into it, it seemed OK. I should have removed it from the car and taken a closer look.

View attachment 105462
View attachment 105463
So I would think that by the sound of this it's good to change this charcoal canister every 100k miles to prevent this from happening?
I'm a believer in preventative maintenance and replace something before it goes out.

Good find and another problem solved in the memory banks. 👍

1 - 20 of 24 Posts