Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing a new writeup here on this topic, since the discussions I've seen about it are several years old and a lot of the links are broken, etc... and since I posted a video on one of the FB groups showing myself playing music videos on my OEM HU while driving, I've been inundated with "bro, how'd you do that" questions, so following is a complete parts list of what I used, as well as my own permanently-hosted download link for the software to re-enable test mode so that the Regulation Mode Parking code can be entered.

The Disclaimers:
Attempt at your own risk, and use at your own risk. I do not condone watching music videos or movies or anything else that can distract you while driving; also of course be aware that it's probably super illegal to have videos playing on your screen while driving. I had police behind me yesterday while driving and I switched over to navigation display real quick because I didn't feel like finding out the hard way whether or not my video was illegal. The upside is, the following setup keeps all OEM operation, so -for instance- I can be playing a music video and switch to navigation display while the music is still playing, and switch back to the video without having to reload software or anything goofy.

2. The following steps worked perfectly on my own HU, on my 2015 (build date October 2014) VT M/T Tech, updated to FW 5.3.63.4, BT 4.4.3, System 5.2.09, Map NA.13.47.47
I make no assertions that the following steps will or will not work on anyone else's head unit, of any other year or even the same year, because I don't know if your Aux port is working properly, or if your adapter is the correct one, or if your HU has already been hacked or updated or downdated, or anything else.

3. I do not support this. I am presenting information, parts, and resources that worked for me; if they don't work for you, then start Googling as I did to get here. It took several trials and errors in equipment selection and about 5 total hours of research for me to find what worked on my HU; if the following steps don't work on your HU, I have no insight to offer other than to start Googling.

4. The HU display is low-resolution... that's just the reality. You're not gonna get HD quality out of it. This whole thing is a gimmick, no question... but I think it's a neat one because I'm a nerd, and I like taking full advantage of the vehicle's capabilities even if they're arguably silly.

5. Finally: this does not let you play videos through the USB port. I know that years ago there were software hacks that might have enabled that, somehow, but it seems like they involved other steps that required you to load special software every time and might also disable other aspects of your HU's operation. I am not after that; I wanted all my HU operation to be proper - ie, I want to automatically be playing music videos when I start up, and I want them to keep playing when my ebrake is disengaged and I'm in gear, but I want my backup cam to switch over as expected and the lines to still work when I put it in reverse, and be able to switch to navigation and back, etc etc. The following steps accomplished that for me.

The Parts I Used:
You need the Hyundai OEM Aux port adapter, full stop. I tried 5 other adapters; they don't work. The OEM adapter has different spacing between the tip segments (Audio Left, Audio Right, Video) than any other adapters I tried, and that's very important. The Hyundai OEM Aux adapter PN is 96190-1F220, called "Jack-Cable Assy-AV". I found one used on eBay for about $16 that worked, but you can also still get one new from Hyundai for around $40 if you don't feel like gambling on eBay stuff. Albert Hwang, unfortunately, cannot get them... I asked.

2. Once you have the adapter, technically you can plug all sorts of things into it. I chose a 5V-powered media player: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOAAHG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are lots of versions of these... I can't speak to any others. I chose this one for the 5V power (it comes with a 120VAC - 5VDC power supply, but you're not going to want to use that) and its compact size + full-size remote.

3. This cable will plug into the above media player and power it directly from USB (NOT your HU USB port... use a USB adapter in one of your 12V accessory plugs, and power it from that): Amazon.com: IBERLS Universal 5V DC Power Cable, USB to DC 5.5x2.1mm Plug Charging Cord with 10 Connector Tips(5.5x2.5, 4.8x1.7, 4.0x1.7, 4.0x1.35, 3.5x1.35, 3.0x1.1, 2.5x0.7, Micro USB, Type-C, Mini USB): Industrial & Scientific

You might ask why not just power the media player from your AC outlet in the car (assuming you have one like I do), and there are several reasons: First, it's horribly inefficient in principle; you're taking 12VDC, using the car's inverter to convert that to 120VAC, then using the power supply that comes with the unit to convert 120VAC down to 5VDC. Ridiculous, and you end up using WAY more power than you need to because of all the inefficiency there. Second, the inverter in these cars (those that have one) is a modified-sine inverter, which produces a square sine which power supplies don't really like and electronics like even less, and you're extremely likely to see interference and weird lines in your video. Finally, I didn't want to use the built-in household plug because it doesn't auto-start, you need to switch it on every time... which is not the OEM "this is the way it's always worked" sort of behavior I was going for. The way I have it set up now, it comes on and starts playing my videos as soon as I start the vehicle, no interaction required.

Connection:
This is fairly obvious. Plug the OEM Aux adapter into the Aux port, connect the media player to the Aux adapter using the media player's included coax connectors, plug the 5VDC power cable linked in item 3 above directly into the media player (the original plug is the correct one, you don't need any of the alternate plugs) and connect the other end to a USB port that is NOT the USB port built in to the vehicle. In my case, I have 4 extra USB ports wired in, so I had plenty. If you don't, you might consider something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795D7KBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now you're all connected and, using your flash drive or SD card loaded with movies or music videos or whatever you want (for legal reasons, I make no suggestions regarding how to get your videos onto the flash drive or SD card, 3 seconds on Google will get you there) you can power on the media player, press the "Media" button next to your head unit and select "Aux" as the input. So long as you're in Park (or Neutral on an M/T) and your ebrake is pulled, you should see the main menu of your media player on your HU screen (it will be hard to read) and you can navigate through it, selecting your video, and start playing. The resolution won't be good, and the aspect ratio will almost certainly be wrong... which is another reason I chose the media player I did: the remote control has a "zoom" button, which nicely fills the screen.
Here's the tricky bit, though: as soon as you drop the ebrake, you'll see a popup on your screen saying "video disabled while driving" or something like that. So now...

The Tricky Bit:
This is assuming your HU test mode has already been disabled by an update sometime in your HU's life. How do you know? Press the "Setup/Info" button once to get to the "Setup/Info" screen, then press and hold the button again for 10-30 seconds. If nothing happens, your test mode has been disabled and you need to follow the next steps. If you get an "entering test mode" screen, then skip to step 11.

Assuming that you do not get the "entering test mode" popup:

1. Get a flash drive, 1GB or higher

2. Format it FAT32. I don't care if it's blank already... just do it

3. Download this ZIP file; it is permanently hosted on my own cloud: Veloster VIM.ZIP - Shared with pCloud

4. Unzip the file. There should be 9 files inside the unzipped folder. If there are more than 9 files, something went wrong; I've heard that some MacOS unzippers add a file to unzipped folders... not sure what the deal is there. These are the files you need:

5. Copy the files themselves to the root directory of the flash drive that you formatted in step 2. DO NOT copy the entire folder; you want the 9 files IN the folder onto the root directory of the flash drive

6. Take that flash drive, go to your car, turn car on (accessory is fine) and wait for the HU to fully start up - dismiss your navigation disclaimer, dismiss the damned BlueLink popup if you still have that, etc

7. Once your HU is fully booted up and ready to go, insert the flash drive with the 9 files on it into the HU's USB port

8. Installation of the software on the flash drive should take about 1-2 seconds, and you'll see a popup saying "installation successful, please remove USB drive, turn vehicle off, and wait 5 minutes". If you do not see that popup, something else has happened and you need to start Googling

9. If you DO see that popup, then follow the instructions. Remove the USB drive, then turn the car off, then wait 5 minutes

After 5 minutes, turn the vehicle back on, wait for the HU to boot up, then press the "Setup/Info" button once to get into the "Setup/Info" screen, then press and hold for 10-30 seconds until you see a screen that says "entering test mode"

11. Press OK

You'll see a screen that is asking for password

13. Enter 90019001 and press OK

You should see a popup that says "Regulation Mode Parking"

15. The screen will return to asking for password

16. Press the return/back arrow button at the upper right hand corner

17. The screen will return to "entering test mode"

18. Press Cancel

The screen will return to the normal "Setup/Info" screen

20. You're done

Once again: I only know that this worked perfectly on my own HU, I cannot speak for anyone else's, nor will I offer conjecture. I know that the newer HUs around '16 and up or so are running a different OS, and I don't even know if the Aux port on those ones can take video input or if so, what the steps or codes might be to get them to work. Nor do I know if every HU '15 and under will use the same codes, etc. etc. Google is your friend, as well as the vast amount of information previously posted on this subject in this forum and others.
There are also a bunch of settings you can do in the media player I reference, including changing video format output (don't, by the way), changing autoplay/resume play options, etc etc... but the media player comes with a manual, so you can read it to find out the options.
One unintended bonus of the media player is that it has its own volume control, so dial that bad boy up to 100% and it will get you another ~25% volume from your system because it works as a preamp... so that's pretty cool.

·
Read Only
128 Posts
Great write up! I have experimented with this a bit myself and stopped for a while. I have a 2016 with Tech package and it actually supports video input without any software mods or additions (it has a video player icon that appears when a video adapter is connected). I got as far as trying to rig an adapter due to not having the official adapter and I too learned that the spacing is just SLIGHTLY off of an adapter that I had from some drone FPV equipment. I believe my pin needs to be about .3mm longer for everything to line up. I am pretty certain I had the pinout right. I actually had an idea to use an FPV camera as a video feed atop the roof for seeing further ahead in traffic. I am going to review these steps and see if I can adapt them just for the aspect of getting into test mode which I have yet to accomplish with my HU. I have found a variety of steps to try and have not had any success. These things have a lot of potential that can be tapped into and it is almost taunting me. I am a software engineer and an Android enthusiast that has been cracking and rooting Androids for almost 10 years now. I can obviously tell you are working with a HU that has Windows Mobile though based on the types of files in that zip. If anyone is looking at the writeup and wondering if it might work for their HU, the first thing you need to confirm is if you have an Android based HU or Windows Mobile. Man, I did some crazy stuff back in the day with PocketPC devices. I wonder how much of that could be adapted to a HU running Windows Mobile.

Edit: For reference, this is the cable for HU and I was trying to rig something else:
AmazonSmile: Jimat Kia Hyundai 30-Pin Aux, USB AUX iPod iPhone Connector Audio Music Interface AUX-IN Cable Adapter | Data Sync Transfer & Charging | for Apple iPod iPhone 3 3G 4 4S |

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great write up! I have experimented with this a bit myself and stopped for a while. I have a 2016 with Tech package and it actually supports video input without any software mods or additions (it has a video player icon that appears when a video adapter is connected). I got as far as trying to rig an adapter due to not having the official adapter and I too learned that the spacing is just SLIGHTLY off of an adapter that I had from some drone FPV equipment. I believe my pin needs to be about .3mm longer for everything to line up. I am pretty certain I had the pinout right. I actually had an idea to use an FPV camera as a video feed atop the roof for seeing further ahead in traffic. I am going to review these steps and see if I can adapt them just for the aspect of getting into test mode which I have yet to accomplish with my HU. I have found a variety of steps to try and have not had any success. These things have a lot of potential that can be tapped into and it is almost taunting me. I am a software engineer and an Android enthusiast that has been cracking and rooting Androids for almost 10 years now. I can obviously tell you are working with a HU that has Windows Mobile though based on the types of files in that zip. If anyone is looking at the writeup and wondering if it might work for their HU, the first thing you need to confirm is if you have an Android based HU or Windows Mobile. Man, I did some crazy stuff back in the day with PocketPC devices. I wonder how much of that could be adapted to a HU running Windows Mobile.

Edit: For reference, this is the cable for HU and I was trying to rig something else:
AmazonSmile: Jimat Kia Hyundai 30-Pin Aux, USB AUX iPod iPhone Connector Audio Music Interface AUX-IN Cable Adapter | Data Sync Transfer & Charging | for Apple iPod iPhone 3 3G 4 4S |
Yep, mine is running Windows CE; I think '15 is the last year of the CE models?

·
Read Only
128 Posts
Yep, mine is running Windows CE; I think '15 is the last year of the CE models?
I believe so. I think I even read that they changed from CE to Android at a certain point in the year, or maybe it was that they continued Windows CE into 2016 for a portion of the year.
Please forgive my aging memory. I meant "Windows CE" when I said "Windows Mobile" and that technically is an inaccurate reference. What can I say, I have seen more versions of Windows than the average person even knows have existed. 😆 :geek:

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe so. I think I even read that they changed from CE to Android at a certain point in the year, or maybe it was that they continued Windows CE into 2016 for a portion of the year.
Please forgive my aging memory. I meant "Windows CE" when I said "Windows Mobile" and that technically is an inaccurate reference. What can I say, I have seen more versions of Windows than the average person even knows have existed. 😆 :geek:
Hahaha I hear you... I remember being excited about my 12-disk upgrade to Win 3.11 back in the day :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,080 Posts
omg i have that from work back in the day, 15 years of IT for me.

Reactions: L3g10n

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just as an update to this thread, after well over a year of it working the head unit magically switched back to not allowing video to play without the parking brake engaged this morning :LOL: If that happens to anyone else doing that, just go back to step 10 and reenter the code. Not sure if there was just a glitch in my HU or if there's a timer in there somewhere, but it's easy enough to get it back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts