Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi VTorg,

I've recently got my hands on a 2013 Veloster Turbo and have found the ride to be incredibly harsh over anything but a smooth roads. When I go over potholes, sewers, or train tracks I experience loud bangs even on low speeds. In my opinion I would describe the sensation feels like I'm crashing into the ground itself and I can feel it in my spine. Now I have never driven any other sports car or even sporty-ish cars but I was wondering if this is normal for sports cars in general, normal for the veloster turbo, or my car is in need of some kind of repair. I'm aware of the bump steer (horizontal) that occurs on 60km/h+ turns and have accepted the nervous rear end for what it is. But I'm more concerned about the vertical component of harsh ride.

Is this considered normal for the veloster turbo suspension?

Any recommendations on how to solve this issue? (pierce rear torsion bar, rigid collars, new tires, different springs??)

Info about my car:
My car is entirely stock (stock kumho tires)
Purchased in canada
48,000 km
As per previous owner's service history there was a bolt/nut loose in the sway bar that was fixed

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Get rid of the 18 inch wheels and step down to 17's, obviously replacing the rubber while you are at it. Going from 215/40/18 to 225/45/17 makes a HUGE difference in ride quality. The stock wheels are nearly 27lbs each too which makes it hard for the suspension to control the ride, anything 20lbs or less would be ideal.

Aftermarket springs would only make your car ride worse.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Stock tires suck.....
Lol umm... thanks for the input?

I had a similar problem on my previous car and it was that it needed new struts. Does the banging continue after for a bit as if the suspension is bouncing up and down?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts

I had a similar problem on my previous car and it was that it needed new struts. Does the banging continue after for a bit as if the suspension is bouncing up and down?

Your welcome.... pretty simple answer... easy to change out as well.... and with the mileage i am sure they are worn out as well....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's input, I'm new to the community and appreciate such prompt responses.

Are you lowered or stock height? Your struts are either bad or you need lowering struts if lowered.
I'm at stock height. I'll have to bring it in to have someone look at the struts just to be sure then.

Your welcome.... pretty simple answer... easy to change out as well.... and with the mileage i am sure they are worn out as well....
I'm not too sure if this is sarcasm because I thought something like a strut would be more reliable than breaking down at 48,000km. But then again, I have very limited experience with cars in general since this is my first car purchase.

Get rid of the 18 inch wheels and step down to 17's, obviously replacing the rubber while you are at it. Going from 215/40/18 to 225/45/17 makes a HUGE difference in ride quality. The stock wheels are nearly 27lbs each too which makes it hard for the suspension to control the ride, anything 20lbs or less would be ideal.

Aftermarket springs would only make your car ride worse.
I'll definitely look into this option as well as check the tire pressure as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I don't recall the car bouncing up and down after the initial hit. Just feels like I hit a wall and stopped for large pot holes. For smaller holes, I notice a slightly more up and down bouncing that you mentioned.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Replacing the current tyres with another ones with softer side walls will smooth the ride, but if you take a pothole you will lose both the tyres and rims. However changing the rim size to 17 and using soft side wall tires will make the ride more smooth and the rims will be more protected against potholes due to the higher tyres profile.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't recall the car bouncing up and down after the initial hit. Just feels like I hit a wall and stopped for large pot holes. For smaller holes, I notice a slightly more up and down bouncing that you mentioned.
I wasn't as clear as I had hoped to be. The car doesn't necessarily move up and down it just sounds like the suspension is bouncing around in the back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wasn't as clear as I had hoped to be. The car doesn't necessarily move up and down it just sounds like the suspension is bouncing around in the back.

Rear Torsion bar would work. Read that it helps a lot. I have yet to buy one.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Torsion bar will help the wonky rear end. Better tires will smooth out the ride, 17s would do it even more. If ya wanna go crazy you might be able to fit Veloster springs to soften the ride even more. Not sure if it would work but from what I've seen the specs are the only differences between them from what I can tell.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Torsion bar will help the wonky rear end. Better tires will smooth out the ride, 17s would do it even more. If ya wanna go crazy you might be able to fit Veloster springs to soften the ride even more. Not sure if it would work but from what I've seen the specs are the only differences between them from what I can tell.
Are the NAV springs softer? I thought both cars have the same suspension.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts