Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i purchased a brand new VT with DCT in October last year. All my previous cars have been manual. I thought i would like the DCT gearbox but i don't. I hate it actually, and am craving to go back to manual.

I had planned to keep this car for 5 years but now at only 6 months in i honestly don't think i can live without a manual gearbox for that many more years. Should i try and trade my car in for an equivalent mileage and year manual VT (or even brand new and just cop the loss (prolly $5K or so))?

Or should i wait till next year when Hyundai might release a totally new Veloster? (realistically what year do ya'll think we will see the next Veloster model?).

·
Super Moderator
1,963 Posts
Use the garbage DCT issues as a haggling point. The first N will likely be an Elantra hatch. No word on if a revised VT with an N variant is planned.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Trade. The current DCT has shown to be inferior in pretty much every way to the manual. If someone tells me they are looking at a new VT auto I tell them "get a 2015 or older, learn to drive a manual or get different car."

·
Registered
511 Posts
Your car is only going to depreciate further. Trade it now. Why not go for the Elantra sport? As much as I like the VT the sort is just a superior vehicle. It has an independent rear suspension, a much stiffer chassis, better steering, and a usable back seat for adults.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully the fact my ecu is tuned won't affect my ability to trade in at a hyundai dealership. I plan to put all my stock parts back on like exhaust and intake etc, but the tune is something else...

·
Registered
511 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue unless it causes one, but maybe see if someone on here wants to trade a stock ECU for your tuned one. Not many other Australian members on here though with DCT's. Not sure how the US tune differs but I doubt it would swap in.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Hopefully the fact my ecu is tuned won't affect my ability to trade in at a hyundai dealership. I plan to put all my stock parts back on like exhaust and intake etc, but the tune is something else...
I've turned in a couple cars and have had friends do the same. Most of the time they only even pull it in the shop if your throwing a code. Otherwise they just look at the body, interior and service logs if any.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've turned in a couple cars and have had friends do the same. Most of the time they only even pull it in the shop if your throwing a code. Otherwise they just look at the body, interior and service logs if any.
Pretty much this. Hell when I traded my mini in for the veloster they gave me the top trade in value sight unseen and delivered the veloster / took the mini in the parking lot of my work. Never stepped foot on a lot. Though Im betting mine was a rare case. As long as theres no codes id never even mention the ecu.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Honestly. I wouldn't stay with this platform. If I came out of this VT I wouldn't go back to another one, no matter 6spd or DCT.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Are you stuck on Hyundai's, or do you have any other interest in any other car?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
So Saturday I spoiled the fun of a sales man who was talking to a potential buyer. Guy was looking at two VTs; a blue one or a VitC one which he wanted but it was DCT. After the salesman went inside I started talking to the couple and convinced them to find another dealer or ask them to find a VitC manual. Dude was very appreciative. Salesman kind of gave me the evil eye from across the lot. Lol.

Honestly. I wouldn't stay with this platform. If I came out of this VT I wouldn't go back to another one, no matter 6spd or DCT.
The beauty of the VT isn't in the performance but the value. So depending on what you value more there are lots of other options out there. Though I have to say, I was at a Hyundai dealer over the weekend and looked over the Elantra Sport and value wise, it's even better than the VT. I don't want one, but if I need a 4 door car right now... it's that hands down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you stuck on Hyundai's, or do you have any other interest in any other car?
I was looking at other cars to possibly swap with and honestly, the Veloster is the car i want. It's not worth trading in for a manual same car and losing so much money. I'll just keep it. I probably won't keep it for the original 5 years i had planned. Maybe 3 years and see if something else comes along that i like. Possibly the next Veloster will be out by then. I'll be sure to choose manual tho.

For this price, nothing else offers such great value. I'm happy to stick with Hyundai for this reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts