Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any benefit in using synthetic oil over conventional oil considering that it's more expensive?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I see no reason to even consider conventional over synthetic anymore. I was going to wait to change my fluids to Royal Purple but think I'll do it sooner

·
2,385 Posts
Like whoa! Oil changes are or can get quite expensive though, depending on what type of oil is being used, whether or not you do it yourself or go to a dealer or shop, AND how frequently you have it done.

Okay fellows, want the straight facts about quality oil ?

Check this (specifically Royal Purple) AMSOIL vs Royal Purple Motor Oil. Facts & Test Results! I did not invent these tests or perform them.

ttwotees :cool2:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ive only gone to valvoline, formally lube express, with my '01 elantra gt I only put synth and I change my oil every 3000 miles or close to it and I have over 300,000 miles on it so I'm happy

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
In general, the primary difference between conventional and synthetic oil is that synthetic oil has a much higher "smoke point" - the temperature at which the oil burns. Once an oil burns it is a big problem as it becomes thick sludge that can't flow through the engine and is full of carbon.

All engines have certain hot spots that are much hotter than the rest of the engine and turbos have a definite hot spot in the turbo itself. For this reason alone I wouldn't use conventional oil in the VT.

Then there is the modern engineering of the VT engine that gets 125hp per liter, 38 mpg and comes with a 100,000 mile warranty. I don't know what magic Hyundai is pulling with this engine but I have no intention of trying to outsmart them. The dealer was quite clear that the maintenance log was very important when it came time to make a warranty claim. You don't have to use the dealer for oil changes but you do need a solid maintenance log of using an oil that meets the specifications in the log.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I'm shocked that hyundai uses conventional oil in the car.. Id have no issue using synthetic. that being said I'll never put another drop of royal purple in any one of my cars

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I had my first oil change completed at my dealership I had them put in synthetic. I took my VT into the same dealership yesterday for its second service. When I get my car back I see that they used regular oil.

Any advice on what I should do regarding this error? Should I have to tell them each time that I want synthetic oil?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wonder if my dealer remembers what kind of oil I use ?

When I had my first oil change completed at my dealership I had them put in synthetic. I took my VT into the same dealership yesterday for its second service. When I get my car back I see that they used regular oil.

Any advice on what I should do regarding this error? Should I have to tell them each time that I want synthetic oil?

I highly doubt that they check your account before adding oil to your VT. It is most definitely your responsibility to tell them
what kind of oil you want in your VT unless you want them to use the same oil they use for all the other oil changes they do
every day. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the service manager about this and mention that you thought surely they would check
your record before changing your oil (but don't get mad when he starts FDLHAO. He might be a compassionate guy and give you a
break.

There is no danger of running the normal oil for a while since your car is new and it has not had time to build up any residue inside
the engine, but next time you get your oil changed, be sure to mention it to the service writer.

Good Luck and please forgive the mirth.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Amsoil

I'm not sure if it's the same across the board, but my dealership uses AMSOIL for their full synthetic.
There is no better synthetic than Amsoil, proven by certified testing labs. Others will argue attempting to pit Royal Purple or Mobile One,
but the test figures don't lie.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I put Amsoil 100% signature series full synthetic in mine. Of course I take mine to a friend's shop to change it. Easier on a lift.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Amsoil

I put Amsoil 100% signature series full synthetic in mine. Of course I take mine to a friend's shop to change it. Easier on a lift.

I also use the Amsoil 100% Synthetic Signature Series 10W-30 now myself. I used to use S2000 0W-30 which was a more expensive and higher grade, but they replaced it with Signature Series about 2 years ago. My brother is a wholesale distributor. I wish I had access to a lift. (sigh)

·
Registered
50 Posts
just checking the Hyundai service site.. make sure you use Hyundai oil filters. Aftermarket oil filters can cause problems. Conventional oil is better for the first two oil changes, then synthetic..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I highly doubt that they check your account before adding oil to your VT. It is most definitely your responsibility to tell them
what kind of oil you want in your VT unless you want them to use the same oil they use for all the other oil changes they do
every day. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the service manager about this and mention that you thought surely they would check
your record before changing your oil (but don't get mad when he starts FDLHAO. He might be a compassionate guy and give you a
break.

There is no danger of running the normal oil for a while since your car is new and it has not had time to build up any residue inside
the engine, but next time you get your oil changed, be sure to mention it to the service writer.

Good Luck and please forgive the mirth.

Ok, thanks for the input. Guess I'll just let it go and make sure I state that I want synthetic next time. Too bad synthetic is so much more expensive through the dealership. Hopefully it is worth the extra cost in the long run.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok, thanks for the input. Guess I'll just let it go and make sure I state that I want synthetic next time. Too bad synthetic is so much more expensive through the dealership. Hopefully it is worth the extra cost in the long run.
I change my own oil in my driveway using two ramps I bought at a discount store. I wouldn't ever go pay dealer prices and for those who think
Hyundai oil filters are so special, I use Wix filters.

Oh and also, it is not better to use two changes of regular petroleum oil, just run your break-in oil and then change to synthetic. Check your sources.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts