Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filled up with 93 octane 2 days ago coz I wanted to see/feel if it makes a difference. I drive 25 miles each way, not too many traffic lights, so I can zoom if I'm watchful for cops. Since I filled up before work, I completely forgot about putting premium in when I headed home.

The next day on the way to work, I subconciously noted the car was especially more responsive and "fun-ner" to drive, the throttle lag was way diminished, and the power just came on smoother. It still did not come to mind that I had put premium in there the night before, so I don't think this was a "placebo effect". It just occurred on me today that the performance boost could be related to using premium gas.

Look, I'm not a car guy, so someone smarter than me about cars can argue that there will be no benefit from using premium vs regular, post scientific evidence, and they would most likely be correct.

I'm just saying, based on MY experience, and at least with MY car, there may be something about using Premium gas after all... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Came from the dealer with regular... I put premium in for the second tank... Big difference IMO. The car just runs better overall with Premium gas.

My 2.0T Sonata is exactly the same. Big difference with regular versus Premium.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same here rilagan, I brought a brand new vt it had only 225, because I live in Alabama and the dealership had to send someone to Mississippi to pickup the one I wanted. But, The dealership filled it up with e-gas 87octane. I never knew the difference until some guys at work was talking and their car getting better gas mileage with real gas or what the car guys call non e-gas. Well I fill my up with non e-gas 87 octane and I was like wow, more responsive, no lag in between gears and to top it off got 3-4 mpg than reg e-gas. To make sure it wasn't like you said a placebo effect, the next time I filled up it was with e-gas 87 octane and mpg went down, lagging in gears just didn't feel like a turbo, I couldn't drive it fast enough or more often to run the e-gas out so I could put more of the good juice in. Well, finally ran that tank out put non e-gas in back to normal. Now, if I'm not around a station that sells non e-gas and running low I will put some e-gas in just to get me to a non e-gas station. Which doesn't hurt the vt. That my story and I'm sticking to it. Oh and this is my first turbo car

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seems to make it worth it for me to spend the extra 3 buck per full tank... our little "econo-turbo" car is saving us money because it's so fuel efficient, I going to reward it by feeding it gourmet gas. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
F***.
And I just put regular in my first fill up today.
I had dont a bunch of research on this and eventual decided that it really wont make any difference.
Half the people swear if the engine is not meant for it, it won't do anything and the other half swear they can feel the difference.
Ughhhhhh.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
F***.
And I just put regular in my first fill up today.
I had dont a bunch of research on this and eventual decided that it really wont make any difference.
Half the people swear if the engine is not meant for it, it won't do anything and the other half swear they can feel the difference.
Ughhhhhh.
Best to do your own research... in the end, you're the one driving your car, so it's all about YOU :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Best to do your own research... in the end, you're the one driving your car, so it's all about YOU :)
My next fill up will be premium 93.
Only one thing worrying me.
Friends keep telling me it will mess with the variable valve timing ect since my car was NOT designed for premium.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think the manual says "Do Not Use Premium", I thinks it's put 87 ocatane gas or higher. So premium won't hurt, but some will argue it won't benefit you for paying extra for it. My experience with it says it will, and it's worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most turbo cars on the market require premium gas (Civic SI, pretty much all BMWs and Minis). Hyundai is one of the first to produce turbo cars that don't require premium gas. You can put premium in any car and it will affect mileage, performance, etc. I think it helps the car run cleaner too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well i'm roughly only 300 miles in and will probably wait until my car breaks in at around 600-800 miles to try premium.
Right now I don't think it's worth much.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The owner's manual says it only requires 87 octane, but the maintenance log says you can use 87 octane or higher.

It has always been my experience that higher octane runs better. I only used 87 during break-in and 93 for the last 3 fill-ups. So far I can't tell much of a difference in power or mileage. Since gas prices have come down I don't plan on going back to 87 until the price goes back up.

It is possible that myriad of sensors, GDI, VVT and servo wastegate are optimized for 87 and it won't make any more power with 93 in order to maintain the mpg and 100,000 mile warranty. But it is going to take many fill-ups after the first oil change to measure the difference in octane.

What I have noticed is the cooler weather is the VT's friend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The fuel economy researchers in Korea probably used "premium gas!" I to have found my new VT much more responsive and have had better mpg with premium....I just LOVE THIS CAR..... I used to have a Dodge truck with a hemi V8 that got 10 miles per gallon and was no where near as responsive or as quick off the start as this little car...it rocks!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
My car went over 1K miles this weekend. When I filled up, I put 93 premium in there since gas price has lowered so much since I last filled up. So far this morning, it felt the same. No noticible difference in power.

I'll report back in a week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So far, no noticeable power difference but I seem to be getting better mileage.
After hitting 700 miles, my friends and I decided to start testing it against his SI and my other friend's GTI (both tuned, SI putting 190 to the wheels, GTI putting 280 to the wheels).
Besides the fact that my VT lost terribly, I noticed I got a total of 310 miles on a full tank of 93 premium and that was after flooring my car atleast 20 times.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Until someone actually logs the ignition timing tables or does some dyno runs (preferably both) you won't know if there is an advantage to higher octane gas. The only way there would be is if the car advances the ignition timing to the knock threshold for the fuel being used.
In fact, if the car does not advance the timing with higher octane gas then you will actually be slower if you are running premium fuel. The lower octane gas is less stable and burns faster. Premium fuel is used when cylinder pressure's are high due to forced induction, high compression engines and aggressive ignition timing. It is more stable when compressed and gives you a slower, more controlled burn.
If the car cannot (or will not) take advantage of the higher limits in the gas you are wasting money and losing power. I don't care what your "butt" says.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Guys, Here in Australia our "regular" is 91 octane. Nearly all gas stations also have 95 octane "premium" and a lot also have 98 octane "super premium". Does anybody know if its safe (wont hurt the engine) to try the 98 octane.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Until someone actually logs the ignition timing tables or does some dyno runs (preferably both) you won't know if there is an advantage to higher octane gas. The only way there would be is if the car advances the ignition timing to the knock threshold for the fuel being used.
In fact, if the car does not advance the timing with higher octane gas then you will actually be slower if you are running premium fuel. The lower octane gas is less stable and burns faster. Premium fuel is used when cylinder pressure's are high due to forced induction, high compression engines and aggressive ignition timing. It is more stable when compressed and gives you a slower, more controlled burn.
If the car cannot (or will not) take advantage of the higher limits in the gas you are wasting money and losing power. I don't care what your "butt" says.
I will be doing both about a month after I get my car

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Guys, Here in Australia our "regular" is 91 octane. Nearly all gas stations also have 95 octane "premium" and a lot also have 98 octane "super premium". Does anybody know if its safe (wont hurt the engine) to try the 98 octane.
I am pretty sure your 98 octane is equivalent to our 93-94 octane. Its just a different scale. It won't hurt anything.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts