Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys maybe someone out there has experienced my issue and might have a solution.

Here it is. I have a 2013 VT automatic

Problem: when gas is punched and speed / response is wanted at the pedal for passing or just doing a speed pull, Rpm spikes due to full throttle request (at the pedal) to 7-8000. Then once top rpm has been reached vehicle chuggs/jerks, rmp immediately drops to 5000rpm and hangs there with the pedal to the metal. Car dosnt loose or gain any speed while this happens it just kinda rpm hangs. just seems like there's a power cut happening that limits performance. If i keep the pedal down while this is happening it will stay at that rpm until i release the pedal slam it back down then it will take off like i wanted it to originally. Easily climbing up to 180 no problem with full responsiveness. Is this a known issue?.. is this a safety feature? Please help. Looking for a fix or reason as to why this is happening when im trying to hammer down and want full throttle for passing or just for speed. This happens in both regular and sports mode. Dealers cant figure out whats wrong. T.I.A.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
This has been discussed for several years now. Most likely you have a binding fuel line.

Is the car tuned? It could also be overboosting.

Take it back to the dealer and you reproduce it with a tech in the passenger seat. If they try to tell you it’s normal, walk away and try another dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I brought it to the dealer yesterday and they suggested to do plugs and fuel induction/injection cleaning (hard to make out what the guy was saying) and to see if that fixes the prob..quoted $610 after tax. they said I needed to do maintenance repair process of elimination before they would get into warranty issues.

Can you elaborate more on the binding fuel line issue..(would spark plugs and fuel induction cleaning fix this issue?)
( I dont feel its a fuel issue because the hang seems computerised, as in if the RPM reaches its max something tells it to drop to 5000 exactly and hangs. until throttle is released and then reapplied and will climb to max desired speed afterwards.. that's why i was wondering if it was a safety feature because the issue seems to be too precise/computerised every time.. this happens every time instant demand for full throttle is applied both city and freeway speeds.)

The car is not tuned. i asked dealer if car is over boosting dealer says car is not over boosting or it would throw codes.. (I doubt they checked).

Also Had an issue recently that my turbo wasn't kicking in at all..let the car sit for 2 days and it started working again on my way to the dealer to figure out these two issues.

P.S issues i was thinking it could be (for brainstorming) : rev limiter fault/sensitivity .... governor fault.. ECU ?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Faulty wastegate solenoid is also a possibility, as well as a faulty crankshaft position sensor. Could be multiple things but binding/kinking fuel line is the usual suspect for this behavior. If the dealer can’t troubleshoot this common issue, find a different dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Could be. You’d think a dealer master tech would be able to troubleshoot a trans issue fairly easily.

A video with sound showing the tachometer while reproducing the issue would be helpful.

How many miles on this car?

Has the OEM trans fluid ever been changed?

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,151 Posts
Rpm changes upon sudden power onset with no speed changes is 100% transmission related. A video of the issue with the rpm and speed in the video would help here just to be sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts