Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving on the hwy 80 mph heard a "wap, wap, wap". Kinda like if you watch Nascar and they show an in car camera when a tire is coming apart. At first I thought it was a tire, but as I started to slow down I felt the loss of power and knew right away what it was. Dealer said #1 rod broke off "grenading" the the inside of the engine. Ended up putting two holes in the block. Replaced short and turbo. I have read here a possible connection to cruise control and blows. Well I don't use cruise, but I commute 90 miles daily. Mostly hwy (St. Pete FL, 275 over the Sunshine Skyway) and I maintain a very steady 80 mph. The good news - I bought the car used, so 60,000 mile warranty. This happened with 55,000 on it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well i was tuned cant really say if its fully hyundai but theres is something wrong with the 13 because when it happened to me i didnt even floor it it just started sounding with a clunk clunk sound took it to hyundai and after engine was open only thing that bent was a rod nothing else was damaged .i believe the rods are to week .thats why theres better ones on the later models.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thank god for a building a motor

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
This is really sad that Hyundai doesn't just schedule recalls on this for all the 2013 owners. Reminds me of the RX8 motors at this point
funny you mention that. those renesis motors were very finicky. i even saw a whole FAQ page of DOs and DONTs on keeping them from going south. too much work for too little car is you ask me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I read never buy the 1st year of a new car model or GEN

·
Registered
511 Posts
My dealership BADLY wanted to put me in a Boston Red 13' they had sitting around but I told them I don't buy first year model runs. That extra $800 I spent for the 14' was well worth it, seems like a better and better choice all the time. :smile:

Still wish it was blue- but you can't have everything right?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sounds like another example of LSPI if you ask me. From what I've read on here (mainly from -X-) the moment these engines are at their most vulnerable is when you lightly accelerate while cruising around 2-3K RPM. This is why I've done all I can to address the problems in my GF's '13 VT that contribute to this.

Reactions: orbeavhawk

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thanks for the clarification -X-...I just have been in the habit of downshifting a gear or two before I accelerate in her car from a cruise to get the revs up above 3k whenever I'm in 5th or 6th.

Reactions: orbeavhawk and -X-
1 - 20 of 42 Posts