Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as time has gone on here on these forums the first thing everyone asks is, "What is the best performance Mod i can buy first?" or "What should i buy first for my VT?". Well you will soon find out the number 1 issue new vt owners experience is the "Wiggly back end" or "My ass wiggles over bumps so bad". So the very first thing all VT owners should buy even if you do not want to fix up your car is a Rear Torsion bar. I would say that over 98% of the people on these threads or people that have bought this part would agree. Its one of the cheaper mods to buy money wise and will make the car feel a lot more stable. It really is necessary and will also increase the safety factor by making the car more stable in day to day driving.

SO here are your choices:

Pierce Motorsports Rear Torsion bar
$155.00
Pierces Rear Torsion has been re engineered to be a more robust bar at its mounting points. These bars have a very high stress load at the mounting points and other brands have seen many failures in these locations. This bar will cost you an extra $20 over competitors but worth the money and has a much better Diameter/rate over others which further increases the overall handling.

Go here or PM PierceMotorsports: Hyundai Veloster Piercemotorsports Rear Torsion Bar

Whiteline Rear Torsion Bar $135.00
This Bar is $20 cheaper and works well, but has a less desirable Diameter/rate than the pierce bar. Whitelines bars have also been known to brake right at the mounting points. Whiteline bars are available by almost all the vendors here include Pierce Motorsports.

In summery both bars will improve the handling of your VT and get rid of most the rear end wiggle. The Pierce bar seems to do this a bit better because of the different diameter/rate. Although both companies will replace these bars if they break, the Extra $20 for the Pierce Bar removes the hassle of having to get another bar sent out. Over all in my Opinion The Pierce bar is the better option and why most people driving VT's have one..

Hope this helps you guys with the question about what one of the first things you should do to your VT...Of course there will be some debate on what you should by first, but i feel 90% of the members would agree with me. Members please feel free to add your input, also feel free to add anything i left out.. Happy Modding!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'll expose my ignorance and ask two things... 1. How hard to install? 2. Any warranty implication?
Probably on a 1-10 a 3 or 4. You need jack stands or a lift to do it preferably. No warranty worries.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Probably on a 1-10 a 3 or 4. You need jack stands or a lift to do it preferably. No warranty worries.
I did mine completely on the ground. Granted I'm stock springs and all that.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
So my recommendations are:
0. If you bought a manual, the first purchase should be shifter link bushings....period.
1. Pierce Strut Bar (front end suspension best bang for buck)
2. Pierce Rear Torsion Bar (rear suspension best bang for buck)
3. Rigid Collars (cheapest cost effective suspension purchase)
4. Intercooler resonator delete ("tork" pipe) (cheapest cost effective performance upgrade)

These are the things that have made the most notable improvements on the car for me. I could throw the short throw as #5 (no pun intended) but unless you're driving places where you're slamming gears a lot, there's better things to put on the list...like tires...Lol. I have yet to replace mine.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yes! Rear torsion bar and rigid collars a must. I'd follow up with a front upper strut brace. All items are money well spent.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Please please tell me where I can get the shifter link bushings...I really hate how the shifter feels going into 3rd sometimes...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Where did you get your bushings from?
TWM Performance. I think I was actually the first person to get them. They had to redo a set due to Hyundai changing end links on the cables.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I first drove the VT home from the dealer, I had a chance to launch from the pole at a light. 1-2 hard shift and BANG!

So for me, the choice was simple: 65A bushings for the lower rear motor mount, which was ~$30. This also reduces wheel hop a good bit.

The second thing I noticed was the unstable wandering steering. Rigid collar kit for $55 alleviated that almost completely.

It wasn't until later when pushing the car around turns over pavement ripples that I noticed the rear end get nervous.

Summary of my top three must-do initial mods:
1. 65A/75A rear motor mount bushings (~$30)
2. Rigid collars ($55-80)
3. Pierce rear torsion bar ($155)
I have all the same mods, but did it in the exact opposite order.. All these things are good cheap mods.. When i left the dealer i hopped on the freeway straight to 80mph around the curve and the ass was so unstable. As soon as i got home i looked online to see what was available to fix this and i found the Rear Torsion bar.. I had the car less than 24 hours before i put bought and put it on.. Then i noticed that the body felt detached from the suspension.. ALmost like they were not completely connected, the Rigid collars and some lower chassis bracing fixed this.. The engine mount i bought to try it out and loved it... However for me i dont drag race or do hard pulls from a dead stop. I do mostly highway driving and drive about 200-300 miles a day which is why i did mine in the order i did.. But for about $250 you can have all three and highly recommended!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll expose my ignorance and ask two things... 1. How hard to install? 2. Any warranty implication?
I also installed on the ground with no jack stands when i had stock springs. Its not to hard, its literally 4 bolts and can be installed with in about 30min to about an hour depending on your mechanical skill. As far as warranties most companies will replace these if they ever break. As far as factory warranty issues there is none.. You will still be covered 100%

·
Registered
567 Posts
Get the rigid collars, engine mounts, or replacement bushings, strut brace, rear torsion bar. I believe in getting the suspension dialed, then go after the power.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My suspension is this:

PMS Rear Torsion bar
PMS Lower 2pt Tie bar
PMS Race Version Strut bar
PMS Front Sway bar
TurboSocks Rigid collars
Ksport Coilovers
PMS Rollcage (Adds stiffness to the chassis and does make a difference in the way the car feels)
PMS Rear Camber/Toe kit (does help the suspension set up work to its fullest)
Professionally measured alignment and corner balanced by a race alignment shop

But! I do feel the biggest improvement was the Torsion bar even for the driver that doesnt want to fix up their cars which is why i posted this thread.. Everything everyone is saying on here holds truth and all these parts will make a substantial difference on how your car behaves. All of which are great depending on the budget and what you are trying to accomplish with the car (Or driving habits). However what you will see in this thread is that everyone has a Rear torsion bar regardless of where it is in the their list... Thanks for all the Input guys/gals!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
man.. When i start to try and list the stuff i have done to the car... I didnt realize i have spent so much money on this thing... To think i told myself when i bought this that i was going to leave it stock!!!!! LOL opps

One of these days i may do a build thread...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting stuff. So for $250.00 I can buy all those mods? Wow...way cheaper to mod these things. Just need someone to install them. Any suggestions in the Maryland area?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts