Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been very interested into buying a VT since just recently my 08 WRX has been totaled. I live in a city where we get snow for about 4-5 months. I've looked at a few 2013 VT's here and will be building one up when its in my name. My one question is that if I did a catback exhaust downpipe and cold air to start, will I need too get the car tuned. I know with my Subaru as soon as you touch the downpipe its time to go to the tuner and was wondering if it was the same with the VT's. Also any general information I would need to know or other mods that would help build it up would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Welcome. You should search the site as all your answers are here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tuning these cars is a PITA. You have to remove the ECU and tune it directly. In order to achieve substantial gains, you will have to tune. Also, we don't have access to pre-programed hand held tuners like Subaru does with COBB. Aftermaket stuff for our cars is quite limited and relatively expensive. Lastly, don't buy a 2013. Get a 2015 or newer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tuning these cars is a PITA. You have to remove the ECU and tune it directly. In order to achieve substantial gains, you will have to tune. We don't have access to pre-programed hand held tuners like Subaru does with COBB. Aftermaket stuff for our cars is quite limited and relatively expensive. Lastly, don't buy a 2013. Get a 2015 or newer.
Any reasoning behind getting a 2015 or newer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine components and factory tunes are improved. The 2013 models have weak connecting rods and have a tendency to grenade. One other thing, get a manual transmission, don't get the automatics/ DCT.
Thank you for the insight and yes I do plan on buying a manual transmission. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Like trdtoy stated, do some research here and draw your own conclusions. This forum is a downright cornucopia of information, all of it archived and at your fingertips.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Tuning these cars is a PITA. You have to remove the ECU and tune it directly. In order to achieve substantial gains, you will have to tune. Also, we don't have access to pre-programed hand held tuners like Subaru does with COBB.
this statement is so 2018 lol we do have plug in tunes... a few of em.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What I'm saying is there aren't any dedicated devices for our cars that allow you to change parameters on the fly. Yes, I'm aware that you can tune through the OBD port but that requires a computer, the program, & a special dongle that one typically has to rent out. I'll admit however I am a little behind on what's happening ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The amount of torque in a VT combined with its light weight might make it a bit of a pain in the snow, especially if you are used to AWD. I would definitely recommend getting out and test-driving one now if it's still snowy, even if you aren't going to buy yet. To answer your original question though, according to someone at SXTH Element, a tune is not imperative for bolt-ons, you just won't get the best performance out of the mods. You also can do a tune on an unmodded VT and get performance gains and then do the mods later and get a "more efficient powerband".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I've been very interested into buying a VT since just recently my 08 WRX has been totaled. I live in a city where we get snow for about 4-5 months. I've looked at a few 2013 VT's here and will be building one up when its in my name. My one question is that if I did a catback exhaust downpipe and cold air to start, will I need too get the car tuned. I know with my Subaru as soon as you touch the downpipe its time to go to the tuner and was wondering if it was the same with the VT's. Also any general information I would need to know or other mods that would help build it up would be much appreciated
I suggest you do not pursue this investment, I owned a 13 VT aroind 80.000 -100.00 mile mark all hell came out, the turbo lost boost periodically, crankshaft sensor went out twice, airbag sensor on the steering wheel quit working.
I took my car to the dealership the warranty didn't cover the crankshaft sensor, since.ita not considered a internal part. I've read 2013 VT have issues with the turbo not engaging.
My VT was a daily driver I maintained it well and it fell short of a quality product.
I traded the POS for a different vehicle not a Hyundai.
Please take my advice stay away from the 13 VT go newer or go back to a Subie

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 Vt with automatic transmission with 39,000 miles. Just read everything I had to deal with.
1- Bent #2 connecting rod
2- Cracked #1 piston
3- Wipers not returning to home position.
4- Broken tailgate switch
5- Broken shift lever bushing
6- Burned heater control switch.
7- Striped Battery positive terminal.
8- Sometimes the key remote entry doesnt work right.

Im glad I'm a mech. If you have mechanical skills then welcome to our club. After that I can tell is a fun ride and a good looking little car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts