Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title states; I'm thinking of moving from So-Cal to the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. I'm curious as to what places are good to look for an apartment and which I should avoid. Anyone out in that area have some suggestions? :)

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Hey psyhamster. I live in Fort worth but am very familiar with the entire DFW area. First thing, what brings you here? Work? that is usually the main reason people move to another location. If so, where is work located in the DFW? I can give you a good idea of where is the ritz and where is the hood. It is important to orchestrate your living location to your work location. I know when people think traffic, people think NY. But here in DFW, a fast growing metro area, these streets can not keep up with the population.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heya MyDianaZ06, thank you for the reply. I am moving for a change of location but work limits me to certain areas. There are two different locations I'm considering; First choice is near University Park Village, Second is near Southlake Town Square. Wasn't really too concerned with traffic, but judging from your explanation it would be worse than LA traffic?

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Heya MyDianaZ06, thank you for the reply. I am moving for a change of location but work limits me to certain areas. There are two different locations I'm considering; First choice is near University Park Village, Second is near Southlake Town Square. Wasn't really too concerned with traffic, but judging from your explanation it would be worse than LA traffic?
Southlake area is real nice. it is ritzy. a little more to the west near the trophy club area is real ritzy.

If you are thinking of the University Park Village near TCU, in the middle of Fort Worth, it is nice there. it isn't ritzy per say, but very hysterical. the only thing keeping it from being "ghetto" is TCU being down the street. and up the street, closer to downtown, you can tell it i trying to become more upscale. But it isn't too me. it is just cluttering everything up there.

The thing about Fort Worth, unless you live on the outskirts or in downtown area, everything is old. You are always close to a "hood" neighborhood. However, When I saw "hood" and "ghetto" I really just mean OLD neighborhoods with Low income people/families. That is just the way it is with most big cities. I don't necessarily mean gun shots and robberies. But I am sure LA has those too.

If you can afford either, between University and Southlake, I would take Southlake all day. Southlake is of a upscale city. they hardly have any crime.

DFW is very nice. Traffic can be nasty. There are TONS of construction everywhere. Once it is all done, though, it will help the traffic. If you never been here, it gets HOT. And it get COLD. Weather here is horrible unless you like heat waves.

I hope I am not discouraging you to come here. I love it here. It is cheap, friendly,and has some of my favorite things here you can not get anywhere. I don't know what your income is or how old you are. But if you can afford a home in the 110k+, you can find a nice home in a great area. I can give you great advice about buying a home (me being a house inspector). If you are young, like me, it is still nice here. A lot of time, if you can afford an apartment, you can probably lease a home out here. That is what I am doing. The wife and I are renting a home. We are saving up to buy a home though. but we are in our 20's. But even if you are older, if you have or can get a decent income, it doesn't take much to get going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree... I stay in Fort Worth as well and I stay close by tcu . You have some areas that are really nice and some that are not so nice... South lake is cute but it's Alil far if u plan on going to ft worth a lot but close to dallas.. Dfw is a great place to live..

I stay in south ftw and there aren't many vt.. I've seen maybe one or two .. A white vt who stays two block a way I think and a basic v ..

·
Registered
484 Posts
im originally from that area too, low living cost (relatively) cheap gas, wide stretched roads, all is great! it gets super hot and dry during the summer...real easy to get a tan lol. there is a big texas/mexican food (texmex) culture there and its so good. In FW, there is a lot of excellent BBQ place. riskey's barbeque all you can eat beef ribs for $10 is the best i've gone to, im sure you can find alot more. dallas downtown is very nice too. I can only think of good things about there although it was about 10 years ago.

I was raised in Irving area. that place is very safe and children friendly. Very fond memories there.

edit: I just realized I didn't answer any of your questions, but these things are good to know, right? haha

·
Registered
83 Posts
20150207_222004.jpg

All you can eat is 12.99 now. Went to Riscky's last night lol. DFW is the shiz. The cost of living will give you a breath of fresh air. Should be a no-brainer if you happen to be hispanic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
BTW we could use another member down here, as the VT community is non-existent. Only turbo owners I've met are in my car club North Texas KDM.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. I've seen some affordable houses and apartments to rent near Keller and around the northern area of FW. Travel time isn't a big thing to me. I'm used to driving 30 mins or so to get to work as it is. Areas i have seen on google maps look pretty nice so far. I wish I could travel out there to see in person first but don't have the time atm. I'm hoping to make the move around April but it all depends on when I'm offered a position. Where I am, greater palm springs area, I see a few VT's here and there but none seem to be on the forums. Can't wait to help add to the VT community out there!

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
View attachment 42540

All you can eat is 12.99 now. Went to Riscky's last night lol. DFW is the shiz. The cost of living will give you a breath of fresh air. Should be a no-brainer if you happen to be hispanic.
Riscky's is hit or miss honestly.

BTW we could use another member down here, as the VT community is non-existent. Only turbo owners I've met are in my car club North Texas KDM.
Never heard of them

Cool. I've seen some affordable houses and apartments to rent near Keller and around the northern area of FW. Travel time isn't a big thing to me. I'm used to driving 30 mins or so to get to work as it is. Areas i have seen on google maps look pretty nice so far. I wish I could travel out there to see in person first but don't have the time atm. I'm hoping to make the move around April but it all depends on when I'm offered a position. Where I am, greater palm springs area, I see a few VT's here and there but none seem to be on the forums. Can't wait to help add to the VT community out there!
There are TONS of affordable houses/apartments relative to LA's house/apartment prices. It just all depends on where you want to live and want you want to pay. let me know if you have any questions. I am a native DFW resident.

The best Dallas/Ft Worth 'burb is Austin.

*snicker*

:haha:
BARF. You can keep your Austin and matthew mcconaughey university.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
ALL Texas roads sucks! If you plan on having extremely low profile + nice wheels, slammed car with lip kit/ground effects, good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the dfw area now but have lived all through so cal, high desert, inland empire (military). I like the dfw area and it is cheaper than most of so cal. My sister lives in Keller and likes it. If your looking for affordable (by dfw standards) want to be in a good area and near ft worth and south lake, check out the H.E.B. area. Hurst, Euless, Bedford. You could be 30 min from most anything.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
HEB is a decent area, too. It is cheap to live here. But like anywhere else, even DFW has areas where its cheaper to live and areas where its more expensive. Of course, the cheaper, the more ghetto. The more expensive, the more ritzy it is.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for replies! I've started to focus on areas a little north of HEB and between Southlake and Frisco. Hopefully I'll get some good news soon and know when I am heading out!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it's official. I'm going to be transferring to Frisco and should be starting my journey from Cali on Monday. Waiting to hear back from a couple of places for rooms or apartments within the next couple days. Pretty excited to move and experience my new home!! :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts