Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 466 Posts

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, engine blown issues and had a little light turns on. - Page 3

After some lengthy searching I came upon an answer.

People aren't going to like it but this shoots to the top of the list for culprits.

We are not the only DI Turbocharged motors blowing up. It is rampant. Every manufacturer is dealing with it.

Google: Low Speed Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injected Motors

Best article on it: Low Speed Pre-ignition (LSPI), an Unintended Consequence of Gasoline Direct Injection Turbo-charged (GDI-T) Engine Technology | Passenger Car Engine Oil

Watch this video:

http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com...95LSPI animations/130132-LSPI-w-IntroNOV.html

Some GDI engines also have an unwelcome tendency toward pre-ignition, or spontaneous combustion before normal spark ignition, especially at lower speeds coupled with higher loads and high cylinder pressures. This unwanted phenomenon is called low speed pre-ignition (LSPI). Click here to view a video illustrating LSPI. Combustion events occurring before they are wanted or expected can hammer the mechanical internals of gasoline engines (evident with severe knocking), because pistons and connecting rods are rising when this downward combustion “bang” occurs. In the worst case, ongoing pre-ignition can lead to broken piston rings, damaged ring lands, and/or bent connecting rods. The mechanism of GDI pre-ignition is not yet fully understood. Multiple parallel strategies to mitigate GDI pre-ignition involve lube oil/lube additives, engine mapping (spark ignition and fuel injection event timing), and mechanical changes.

Low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) can in severe cases lead to engine damage such as a broken piston as shown above.

The engine operating area where LSPI occurs is very close to where fuel economy, performance, and drivability are optimally balanced. Operating at relatively low RPM and constant load such as highway cruising the engine can slip into the LSPI zone where potential engine damage may occur.

READ THAT LAST PARAGRAPH AGAIN!!

Sounds familiar.

Key words: Low Speed, High Load.

This describes every engine failure.

All I can say is EUREKA!!!

Takeaways it is a random event. There is no predictability to this happening.

Causes are largely unknown. Several theories but the common factors are low speeds and high loads.

Apparently a research facility in Texas Is working on it. Ford and a bunch of manufacturers are throwing chunks of money at it but the condition is random.

The best solution so far is to run a high quality PAO based synthetic oil. The microscopic oil left in the cylinder wall to lubricate the piston can ignite on a non PAO based oil.

This ignition of the air and fuel happens before the spark plug fires, preignition. In a low speed high load environment it can lead to catastrophic failure.

Discuss...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been reading the Blown Engine thread over & over.The one comment I keep going back to is the comment on the high silicon levels in engine oil.Commentor states the silicon levels are a byproduct of dirt that aftermarket air filters(CAI/SRI)allow to pass unfiltered.I have noticed that either an SRI(in MOST cases)or CAI are ALL common to affected vehicles.Do SRI's especially allow that much unfiltered dirt to enter the intake system & is it possible for these high silicon levels to contribute to PI or another symptom of major engine failure?

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've been reading the Blown Engine thread over & over.The one comment I keep going back to is the comment on the high silicon levels in engine oil.Commentor states the silicon levels are a byproduct of dirt that aftermarket air filters(CAI/SRI)allow to pass unfiltered.I have noticed that either an SRI(in MOST cases)or CAI are ALL common to affected vehicles.Do SRI's especially allow that much unfiltered dirt to enter the intake system & is it possible for these high silicon levels to contribute to PI or another symptom of major engine failure?
More bone stock motors have blown than modded motors.

Carbon is the enemy not silicon particles. The commenter you mentioned is not the most trustworthy source.

·
Registered
106 Posts
More bone stock motors have blown than modded motors.

Carbon is the enemy
So the best way to protect our engines is Top Tier fuel,pure synthetic oil,a hi tech engine treatment like the CERMA & regular use of a good fuel additive(CERMA or AMSOil?).Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
582 Posts
. He explains LSPI but skip to about 5:00 he starts talking about oil quality as one of the possible issues and mentioned a new GF-6 oil standard.

Reactions: 13rooks and -X-

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
. He explains LSPI but skip to about 5:00 he starts talking about oil quality as one of the possible issues and mentioned a new GF-6 oil standard.
Yes that is the first video I found.

He is an Amsoil dealer so I didn't want to post that first. People might assume he is just trying to sell a product.

That video really lays things out nicely.

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the best way to protect our engines is Top Tier fuel,pure synthetic oil,a hi tech engine treatment like the CERMA & regular use of a good fuel additive(CERMA or AMSOil?).Did I miss anything?
Not just Pure Synthetic.

PAO Synthetic.

Only a few exists: Amsoil, Motul and a few others.

The reasoning is the PAO based synthetic is more resistant to preignition.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So.. I'm due for my second oil change.. Talking about top tier oil and I'm living in a cold area.. What should I go for with this new info?

·
Registered
40 Posts
More: use catch cans (ok) or an air/oil separator (better), do routine valve cleaning (DIY: CRC cleaner, Service: BG), use methanol/water injection, get a new Tork tune that uses 2015 mappings.
What r 2015 mappings??

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boy,..we sure have come a long way from people calling it snake oil huh?

I think HYUNDAI owes John some royalties.
There is a good chance Hyundai figured it out. That's why 2015 ECUs are different. Have better maps.

It is all about getting the timing, etc. just right to lessen the possibility.

I have the new 2015 timing maps in my ECU. So far everything looks better and car runs way better.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
There is a good chance Hyundai figured it out. That's why 2015 ECUs are different. Have better maps.

It is all about getting the timing, etc. just right to lessen the possibility.

I have the new 2015 timing maps in my ECU. So far everything looks better and car runs way better.
Other than it being a boost puss,..I can't imagine the car running any better.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Wait until you get the new timing maps. :)

Tork is doing awesome stuff.
Agreed,...mine still is a sissy,...keeps shutting itself down. I have to use like some lame fuel. Can't wait for him to find that last boost limiter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great find. Guess I just need hammer on the car all the time. :wink:

Isn't Mobil1 PAO based? Thought that is what I had read.

Jason

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
So if I ever get pulled over by the police and they ask, "Why were you speeding." And I respond, "To prevent LSPI". Will that save me from getting a ticket?:haha:

Seriously, great information. Hope the folks at Hyundai start listening some more. Or are they waiting for another legal action?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So for those of us that got Tork tuned at the HanFest last month, did we get mapped the 2015 maps?

1 - 20 of 466 Posts