Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Had a chance to finally get my VT on a track about an hour out of Toronto this past Monday, and I've got a few thoughts on the experience in general, as well as some questions for those of you who've got a little more experience.

Thoughts:

1) With bolt-ons and a tune, the car PULLS. Even with paddle shifting an auto, I found myself keeping up with cars I never expected to keep up with.

2) Past the limit, the understeer is REAL. Could also be my stock suspension and all General G-MAXs (a solid all season, but still an all-season).

3) Fuel cut on low fuel is a thing on these cars... or at least that's what I think it was. When fuel got lower than a quarter tank, I found myself constantly getting power cut at a certain portion of the track. At first, I thought it was more tune or electrical stuff. But after I filled the tank to half and got out there, the car was perfect until fuel got low again, and power started cutting once more.

4) Cooling didn't seem to be an issue. Now, I do have a different grille on the car, and it was about 55F out there that day, but I found the car very well composed after more than a few consecutive hot laps. 230F was about a hot as I saw it get, but it mostly stayed in the 210-220 range.

5) Good brake Pads and fluid are a MUST. One of the other aspects of the car that exceeded expectations was the braking. With Pierce's Porterfield pads and Motul fluid, I can honestly say braking held up perfectly, lap after lap. There was a little smoke after the first 4 laps, but after that, They keep the car perfectly in check, all with

Questions:

1) What do you track guys use for coilovers? I wanna get something that can be a balance between more responsive on track, but still retain some comfort on the road. Same for tires, any suggestions? So far, thinking Michelin's PSS, but open to other thoughts.

2) Has anyone tried control arm bushings for our cars too? I found the car could be a little more direct on turn-in. Then again, non-ideal tires... stock suspension.

3) Is there anyone else who's felt the fuel cut on these cars past a quarter tank in hard cornering? Is there anything that can be done for that? Does anyone sell a better pump maybe?

4) What are the coolant/transmission temps you guys are seeing? Also, is there a more accurate thermometer solution for our cars? The one we have now is utterly useless past daily driving.

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys,

Had a chance to finally get my VT on a track about an hour out of Toronto this past Monday, and I've got a few thoughts on the experience in general, as well as some questions for those of you who've got a little more experience.

Thoughts:

1) With bolt-ons and a tune, the car PULLS. Even with paddle shifting an auto, I found myself keeping up with cars I never expected to keep up with.

2) Past the limit, the understeer is REAL. Could also be my stock suspension and all General G-MAXs (a solid all season, but still an all-season).

3) Fuel cut on low fuel is a thing on these cars... or at least that's what I think it was. When fuel got lower than a quarter tank, I found myself constantly getting power cut at a certain portion of the track. At first, I thought it was more tune or electrical stuff. But after I filled the tank to half and got out there, the car was perfect until fuel got low again, and power started cutting once more.

4) Cooling didn't seem to be an issue. Now, I do have a different grille on the car, and it was about 55F out there that day, but I found the car very well composed after more than a few consecutive hot laps. 230F was about a hot as I saw it get, but it mostly stayed in the 210-220 range.

5) Good brake Pads and fluid are a MUST. One of the other aspects of the car that exceeded expectations was the braking. With Pierce's Porterfield pads and Motul fluid, I can honestly say braking held up perfectly, lap after lap. There was a little smoke after the first 4 laps, but after that, They keep the car perfectly in check, all with

Questions:

1) What do you track guys use for coilovers? I wanna get something that can be a balance between more responsive on track, but still retain some comfort on the road. Same for tires, any suggestions? So far, thinking Michelin's PSS, but open to other thoughts.

2) Has anyone tried control arm bushings for our cars too? I found the car could be a little more direct on turn-in. Then again, non-ideal tires... stock suspension.

3) Is there anyone else who's felt the fuel cut on these cars past a quarter tank in hard cornering? Is there anything that can be done for that? Does anyone sell a better pump maybe?

4) What are the coolant/transmission temps you guys are seeing? Also, is there a more accurate thermometer solution for our cars? The one we have now is utterly useless past daily driving.

Thanks in advance!
I've done my first track day about a month ago as well. I will be going back to the track in November but I can try to answer your questions as best as I can from my experience.

1. I am currently using CX Racing Coilovers. The reason for this being that I use a Rear Torsion Bar (WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND) and the CX Racing Coilovers is compatible with it. The held up fine on the track but I would like to upgrade soon to better coilovers as I will probably be doing more track days and widebody as well. As for Tires, I don't think you can go wrong with PSS. I have heard from other owners that have used PSS on the track that sometimes it gets a bit greasy. I am personally using 235/40/18 Nitto NT05.

2. I don't have Control Arm Bushings but I do have 75a Lower Engine Mount Bushings and Rigid Collars (Though didn't get to use them on the track). I think they help out with power delivery and turning confidence. With the Turn-in it likes to be direct when you're not on the throttle and it likes to power out.

3. You could upgrade the fuel lines and see if that solves the problem. That's also a future upgrade for me as well.

4. I don't believe I've experienced any overheating issues. Can't speak on that.

5. Stainless Steel Brake Lines and Motul RBF600 worked great for me. Used stock pads and rotors and didn't feel that much fade.

Hope that kinda helps lol

· Registered
2,635 Posts
Well glad you got it on the track!!

First yes the understeer is always a thing with a FWD car.. I would get the Pierce Motorsports track package. Suspension is a must for the track to help with this.. There are a ton of set up tricks and tips we can get into..

Glad you got Pierce's brake package and you may want to get the Braided lines if you did not already..

Before this page gets derailed about fuel lines i want you to know that this car in high speed turns does have a fuel starving issue. If pulled a tank apart and there is room in there to do some modding to help with this but its not cheap.. Fuel line is a whole other issue.. In some cars we have seen the fuel cut become an issue at anything under 1/2 gas. Other cars like mine i start having issues at about 3-4 bars depending on the track.. So just be sure to have atleast 1/2 tank before every session.. I will most likely switch to a fuel cell at some point to save on weight and will solve this fuel starve issue.

As for Coilovers many of us are using the Ksports.. With that said the rears are a bitch to adjust in a hurry, but the Ksports seem to be holding up to alot of abuse

I dont know anyone running the bushings at this time that tracks the car..

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I do have a fuel line, but was hoping for a pump or something to get more fuel to the motor during high speed corners and lower gas levels. I guess keeping it at half tank is the answer for now.

Haven't gotten the braided lines yet, but that'll likely be a future purchase. Are the rotors a high priority as well? I feel like they aren't but who knows.

Keep the thoughts coming! Any other mods that have gone under the radar that are crucial for track days?

· Registered
152 Posts
Not VT specific here, but generally with the bigger the fuel pump, the more likely fuel starvation will be at low levels. To run really low, you'll either need to build a sump into the bottom of the tank, or use a separate surge tank.

· Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,272 Posts
you are severely overdriving your tires.

fuel cut is a real deal with a low tank. i learned my lesson after my 2nd track day always start the day with a full tank!

cooling on track isnt an issue in new england weather, should not be a problem in toronto.

im glad you had good luck with the VTRS pads, i will be moving onto something else when mine burn up. i autocross more than track, so i need a little more forgiveness, something that bites hard that doesn't need alot of heat. but on track yes i would agree they are fantastic.

i'm using ksports that are cornerweighted my car is setup properly for autocross / sprint on r-comps, i get very little understeer on the track due to not having the tires to compensate (run star specs on track) .

i'm hoping to get W/L caster correcting bushings at some point

i never bothered to monitor my temps i just watch the gauge as a just incase but never seen it creep up. however waiting in the grid at autocross i've seen my IATs in the 160-170 range dead of summer. and that cuts lots of boost. im running the factory coolant.

Reactions: Bauss

· Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are severely overdriving your tires.

fuel cut is a real deal with a low tank. i learned my lesson after my 2nd track day always start the day with a full tank!

cooling on track isnt an issue in new england weather, should not be a problem in toronto.

im glad you had good luck with the VTRS pads, i will be moving onto something else when mine burn up. i autocross more than track, so i need a little more forgiveness, something that bites hard that doesn't need alot of heat. but on track yes i would agree they are fantastic.

i'm using ksports that are cornerweighted my car is setup properly for autocross / sprint on r-comps, i get very little understeer on the track due to not having the tires to compensate (run star specs on track) .

i'm hoping to get W/L caster correcting bushings at some point

i never bothered to monitor my temps i just watch the gauge as a just incase but never seen it creep up. however waiting in the grid at autocross i've seen my IATs in the 160-170 range dead of summer. and that cuts lots of boost. im running the factory coolant.
Thanks for sharing.

Yeah the pads were a life saver, but they're a little more dusty and squeaky than stock for sure. Also they suck cold so they only bite after 10 minutes of driving. All trade offs I'm willing to make for their stopping power once warm.

Seems like most people use k sports. Those are compatible with the pierce bar?

And I'm not sure who the tires comment was for, but my tires are shot after that day.

· Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,272 Posts
it was for you lol

· Registered
693 Posts
I have a very similar suspension set-up as you. Stock springs/shocks and a couple Pierce bars.
I also have the pads and fluid.

Here are a couple of tricks I use because I daily my car and at least a few times a month am out on some dirt roads visiting family that live out in the country. So I'm putting off lowering the car as long as possible.
Tires, Tires, Tires. I see you have aftermarket wheels. This is perfect, get some track tires put on the stock wheels. SoCal Garage Works sells the Federal RSR and RSRR they are fantastic and will actually help with your understeering a bit.
A big thing with handling the understeer is learning to trail brake. Now, with those tires getting overheated and overwhelmed it is more difficult but learning this technique will do wonders.
I have tracked this car in the dead of a Texas summer and have only had 1 instance of a possible cooling issue. Hyundai has done a pretty good job with keeping the temps stable in stock form. Of course an oil cooler, new intercooler, and radiator wouldn't hurt but the car does well in stock form.

I have yet to see a fuel starvation issue others have seen. The track I frequent is a smaller, slower track so this may be why.

· Registered
723 Posts
Slapshift's VT got a shock bent up putting -1.9 degrees of camber in to the right front so now we're looking for some good autocrossing coilovers too if the road manners are not much worse than stock.

As for tires, I run Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs for autocross and they are fantastic for that application. Don't know if they make them in the VT's size or how they work for track use but I have found them to have a lot of grip for my Sky's application.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
It seems like more of us are taking these little fellas out to the track, I wouldn't recommend Federal as a lot of guys I know have had issues where the tread separates from the tire. Google for pics, it's pretty crazy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,635 Posts
It seems like more of us are taking these little fellas out to the track, I wouldn't recommend Federal as a lot of guys I know have had issues where the tread separates from the tire. Google for pics, it's pretty crazy.

This was an old issue.. I havent seen any of the new Feds have this issue YET! However they have the same seams so its possible... I have a set of Rsr rr sitting here for next season. Also ive been on the Fed Evo for about 10k with no issues

· Registered
2,635 Posts
And I'm not sure who the tires comment was for, but my tires are shot after that day.

That damage to the tire is not do to the track nor are those tires trashed.. Those marks are from the tire contacting the Metal edge near the screw holding your bumper on in the wheel well. This is why i had to pull and roll the fenders.. Take a look under there and you'll see what im talking about. I see this on alot of cars at the track as the suspension gets a full range of motion work out that it does not see on the street.

This is an issue on many many FWD cars

· Registered
1,098 Posts
This was an old issue.. I havent seen any of the new Feds have this issue YET! However they have the same seams so its possible... I have a set of Rsr rr sitting here for next season. Also ive been on the Fed Evo for about 10k with no issues
Jim just recommended them to me too. Are you guys in cahoots!?

· Registered
2,635 Posts
Jim just recommended them to me too. Are you guys in cahoots!?

haha... He is at the track all the time and most guys are running these tires right now. Its a fast and good budget tire that most guys/gals are using unless they have sponsor deals with other companier.. Federal this last May released these new rated tires and addressed the issues they were having. Since that time they have proven to be a good tire... When someone wants a good tire for a cheap price Federal will be the brand most recommend at the moment..

Another tire we will both say are a good tire for the price and both have a good experience with is the Kumho V720..

Im not sure if Jim is selling the Feds, but i know Socal Garage Works has a pretty good deal on them... I bought my Feds from SOcal and my V720 from Pierce Motorsports

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.