Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 12 months since I started distributing tow hooks and other trinkets, I have expanded my offering to include a large range of cosmetic and performance accessories. All of the Vendors who actively participate on social media, have managed to bring products to a platform that is still been ignored by the mainstream suppliers of aftermarket product.

Most of the parts I sell are manufactured to order. These products are manufactured to a high standard in ISO certified locations. Unfortunately there are times when a product may be damaged, lost in transit, doesn't fit or other reason which causes the part to be unsuitable for use by the customer. In these instances I will gladly work with you and offer a refund or replacement. I attempt to accurately describe the product with accompanying pictures of the item itself and also fitted. I clearly identify what is included, what IS NOT included and if any adjustments may be required. However a fellow member here decided to order something then try to not only return the item but justify that they didn't read the entire description.
They went as far as opening a claim to get all their money back. Most e-commerce sites have policies / terms & conditions on their website so as to inform the buyer and protect us from buyers wasting our time and resources. One of the policy items is a RE-STOCKING FEE. The purpose of this fee is to cover not only the incidental cost in returning this item but also to cover the holding cost of an item which may be held for a long time. This is the right of any vendor especially on custom parts ordered out of the country. So now this member has showed that being a small business owner I have no rights and my company policies don't mean anything.

So with that being said from this day forward it is now known that unless the item is damaged, broken, lost, doesn't fit correctly, SoCal Garage Works will enforce the 25% restocking fee. I will try to work with you and minimise any loss but this may not always be possible. It saddens me to say this but I have tried my best and when the customer returns a $500+ item because they didn't read the entire description then refuses to accept the refund minus 25% restocking fee (due to their mistake) that makes me not only want to no longer sell to that customer but also reconsider supplying parts to the community as a whole. That member has been blacklisted from our site and there name has been shared with other vendors that support this community to help protect them in the future.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. With the very small amount of vendors who are willing to supply parts for our cars and the difficulty they go through to get these to us (most of which we will probably never know about) I for one am truly thankful for what you do. You make me able to follow through on building a car that I love. I will always support the vendors like yourself who do this and hope that one bad apple doesn't ruin it for all of us. Thanks

·
Registered
935 Posts
IME restocking will only help you if customer agrees to work with you on a returned part. If he disputes the charge, requests chargeback with CC company, or simply refuses delivery stating not as described, not received in X time, etc... CC company will issue them a full refund on what was paid out.

Can help customer against shady shops, can hurt the shop with a stupid customer. Always situation dependent obviously.

Reasons I got out of moving parts years ago. To much BS associated.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
To add to that, the big companies like Wal-Mart and Amazon for example have these no questions asked refund policies, even on opened items. They have the backing and resources to handle these things (maybe because they happen so often) and if a consumer makes a mistake reading a description or just not liking the way it looks in person and has to send something back, it's very easy for them.

While I do not disagree with their refund/return policies, they do sort of "entitle" consumers in a way to thinking they can just buy it and if they don't like it or it doesn't fit they can just send it back and get their money back with no hassle.

Small businesses like ours can't afford to do this, much less do it often. It is our due diligence to make things as clear as possible to avoid returns and restock fees, but we all know that can't be avoided 100%
I have on my to-do list to setup the checkout process to have customers click a button that confirms they have read our Terms & Conditions page.

They should appreciate the effort you're doing to get them the part they want for their fairly un-popular car (in the grand scheme of aftermarket catered vehicles lol).

·
Super Moderator
3,193 Posts
there is always one... too bad we can't lynch said person.

Reactions: JKATT

·
Registered
735 Posts
IME restocking will only help you if customer agrees to work with you on a returned part. If he disputes the charge, requests chargeback with CC company, or simply refuses delivery stating not as described, not received in X time, etc... CC company will issue them a full refund on what was paid out.

Can help customer against shady shops, can hurt the shop with a stupid customer. Always situation dependent obviously.

Reasons I got out of moving parts years ago. To much BS associated.
Nature of online retail. I feel though that SC was either dealing with a very irrational customer or there is more to this story.

I did ecommerce for a long while and learned very quickly you have to ensure that you state clearly what is and is not included in an item and, if possible, display a picture of ONLY what comes with the item you're selling. Descriptions are not always enough and, if you can't reach a satisfactory agreement with the customer, these things happen. As gsrdude mentioned, many people get out of the business because you have to deal with this kind of situation sometimes.

Sadly, unless the customer comes in here to state his side of the story, we'll never know why these two parties couldn't come to a mutually agreeable resolution.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will detail my experience with socal garage works:
ordered injen sri and ark springs. product shipped exceptionally quick.
like a dumbarse, I ordered a nav intake, not vt intake. noticed this as I was installing and the parts didn't work. who reads the directions on these anyway :)

socal managed to find a buyer for nav intake. I paid shipping to send to new buyer.
socal ordered correct intake and shipped to my house no added costs.

ABOVE and BEYOND customer service and I do not have a single bitch about having to pay the shipping to the guy that got the nav intake.

hope the restocking fee is not needed as he really seems to be a vendor that wants the best outcome for the customer....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. With the very small amount of vendors who are willing to supply parts for our cars and the difficulty they go through to get these to us (most of which we will probably never know about) I for one am truly thankful for what you do. You make me able to follow through on building a car that I love. I will always support the vendors like yourself who do this and hope that one bad apple doesn't ruin it for all of us. Thanks

WHAT HE SAID. THANK YOU GREG AND THE COMMUNITY VENDORS!
(w/1 exception)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
To jump on punksurfer's coattails...

I also had a great experience buying from SoCal. I was one of the early adopters of the MOBIS suspension. The entire process was a bit complicated, but they kept all of us in the loop constantly, letting us know where the packages were, informing us of any delays, and properly setting expectations all the way through the deal.

There are few vendors of ANY stripe that you get this kind of service from. I really can't recommend you folks highly enough.

·
Registered
232 Posts
To jump on punksurfer's coattails...

I also had a great experience buying from SoCal. I was one of the early adopters of the MOBIS suspension. The entire process was a bit complicated, but they kept all of us in the loop constantly, letting us know where the packages were, informing us of any delays, and properly setting expectations all the way through the deal.

There are few vendors of ANY stripe that you get this kind of service from. I really can't recommend you folks highly enough.
I was too one of the early testers of the Mobis suspension. I have nothing but very good things to say about Greg and SCGW. They have always gone above and beyond as great vendors and have always been honest about their products and shipping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts