·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hahahaha

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Now here is my .02... Never buy the first year (and sometimes even the second year) of a new or redesigned model as they often have problems and kinks.
That was absolutely my first thought about getting the new gen.

·
Registered
427 Posts
These things have shit resale value. I picked my 2016 (see sig for details on my ride) up a few months back with just shy of 4k miles for 18k. I've heard of better deals than that as well. That said.... the 2018 may still be the same old body style. Given the time of year it is now, it may not be until 2019 before the Gen2 Veloster.

Now here is my .02... Never buy the first year (and sometimes even the second year) of a new or redesigned model as they often have problems and kinks.
Be it 2018 or 2019, the next gen is probably worth waiting for over buying the current gen. The current gen VT is cheap to but you'll be moving from one sh*tbucket to another sh*tbucket and that's insane if your monthly note will be higher. I implore you to test drive, test drive, test drive as many other cars you are even remotely interested in your price bracket, like the wonderful GTI, before jumping onto the VT train. Or just wait and see what the next two years hold for the Veloster...

The VT's a decent car mostly because it looks cool as hell and is cheap, but it's hardly an aspirational one unless you enjoy cabling in your car's roof to rattle along with the dash, seat, and crap interior plastics.

·
Registered
467 Posts
GTI is 37.6k in Canada, vs. 29.9k for a VT (both prices in CAD with taxes included)
BRZ is 35k. Most other car comparisons yield the same 35 to 40k prices. Best bet would be used.

I'm in the same boat as what others are saying, buy this thing used. The depreciation is so bad. I bought my 2013 used for 17k 2 years ago. You're just throwing away 10+k by buying new, all for the satisfaction that you "broke her in" yourself.

You'd be better off buying a "better" car used or just going for a used VT instead of going new.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm glad I bought my car when I did back in 2014 but I definitely would not buy a new VT now; it is an outdated platform. The civic turbo hatch seems like a way better option quite frankly. Sorry. Now that new Vt....I guess we shall wait and see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm glad I bought my car when I did back in 2014 but I definitely would not buy a new VT now; it is an outdated platform. The civic turbo hatch seems like a way better option quite frankly. Sorry. Now that new Vt....I guess we shall wait and see.
Right now I'm waiting for the 2018 VT model to come out to see if its what I want for the price. I only test drove the 2016 to get familiar with the platform, it was a great drive and I would be interested in the new model. But since other 2018 models are coming out or hitting the news I think if I were to get a 2018 VT I'd lease.

Something else I'm looking at now is the Elantra GT Sport, after reading up on it its basically the VT but more for a family. Is anyone else thinking about this car? I think if both were same price and same specs with some minor differences example being head room and length, I'd personally take the VT over the Elantra. I'm single, friends also got nice cars so they wont get in mine, most people I know are shorter than me so headroom isn't much of an issue.

For some reason I think the Elantra GT Sport looks like a wagon hopefully my opinion changes when I see one in person, anyone else think this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My local dealer did not have a manual turbo on the lot ( although they advertised one on their website, which is why I went to there in the first place ) and they basically pushed me into test driving the DCT model. NOPE! I had already read about the hesitating gas pedal/ transmisson issues... so I when I went for the test drive, at the first red light that turned green... gas pedal input gave no movement to the car for about 2 seconds.... I turned around and said, thanks, but no thanks... came here to drive a manual, and you dont have one, so see ya...

of course they at that point, said... ok, come back tomorrow we will have you a brand new manual to test drive... asked me what color, what model specifically i was looking for.. and the next day they had it. 98 miles on it from driving it from another dearlership.

point is, if i hadnt been watching for that hesitation, i would have missed it. Be sure you do your due diligence of researching reviews and owners experiences with the car your looking to buy. i love my tech pack manual turbo in red :) i love it so much, its still stock after 6 months of ownership just because .... i am researching what mods will complement best the way the engine was originally designed to operate.. and which mods are truly a waste of money.. aftermarket doesnt mean the most expensive is the best..

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
As a VT owner I can't bring my self to buy a new Elantra Sport. Its heavier, makes the same power, doesn't look nearly as good and because I'm not tracking it or have much time on back roads, I'm not really gonna have fun with the suspension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My local dealer did not have a manual turbo on the lot ( although they advertised one on their website, which is why I went to there in the first place ) and they basically pushed me into test driving the DCT model. NOPE! I had already read about the hesitating gas pedal/ transmisson issues... so I when I went for the test drive, at the first red light that turned green... gas pedal input gave no movement to the car for about 2 seconds.... I turned around and said, thanks, but no thanks... came here to drive a manual, and you dont have one, so see ya...

of course they at that point, said... ok, come back tomorrow we will have you a brand new manual to test drive... asked me what color, what model specifically i was looking for.. and the next day they had it. 98 miles on it from driving it from another dearlership.

point is, if i hadnt been watching for that hesitation, i would have missed it. Be sure you do your due diligence of researching reviews and owners experiences with the car your looking to buy. i love my tech pack manual turbo in red :) i love it so much, its still stock after 6 months of ownership just because .... i am researching what mods will complement best the way the engine was originally designed to operate.. and which mods are truly a waste of money.. aftermarket doesnt mean the most expensive is the best..
I also checked for this in the veloster I drove, it was a CDT and did the same thing you spoke of. I figured out you had to manually gear down in some cases to prevent this. Kinda stupid that the DCT never automatically put the car in the right gear. Was on the highway testing acceleration, went from 100km/h to stop waited a few seconds then tried to launch it. It just sat there until I let off the gas about half way then the car kicked in, then I floored it which I could tell the car responded.

Thats something I quickly figured out but again that delay is like a huge tease. With knowing the car you can adjust for it but like you said it was there on first impression so it seems really disappointing. My fiesta does something similar in the sense that the acceleration from start is kinda funky. If I'm approaching a stop sign at the top of a hill and my fiesta is trying to change gears, my car will literally keep the RPMs the same until it gears up or I apply the brake. This is freaky because you expect gravity to slow the car down but going up a hill the car wants to keep going and you see your RPMs jump slightly. Took me a few times to notice what exactly was going on but after I did I learned to compensate.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm kinda curious now, is there such a thing as a good budget DCT? It seems like in most cars below the 30k dollar mark the DCT is nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Curious? This car is your confirmation. No, no there is not.
I must say I didn't fully enjoy the dct, after I understood the issue with it the drive became fun. But I don't think it'd be something I'd get, unless I needed to loan out my car on occasion to family members.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts