Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me begin by saying this is not just a review of Tork's tune but a review of my experience with Tork Motorsports. A couple of weeks ago I posted on a thread Tork had started years ago about engines blowing on the 2013 veloster turbo. I was very concerned about KR I was getting at partial throttle and WOT while running a tune from a different vendor. It was happening quite often. I contacted the vendor about it and also talked to many people on the forums as well. I did everything that was suggested and I had many tune revisions but nothing seemed to resolve the issue. I was also left with a tune that was barely better than stock and I was very dissatisfied with. I choose not to share the name of the vendor out of respect for them.

Then I got a private message from Tork Motorsports!! They indicated this was very likely a tune issue and had seen enough of this vendors tunes to know what the issue was. They offered to give me a tune. I told them I was very interested but having already spent hundreds of dollars on the first tune I was very reluctant to shell out hundreds more if I was going to have the same issues. Granted I know the risks involved and there are no guarantees. The response I got is what I consider to be exemplary customer service!! They offered to give me a Stage 0 tune at no charge. All they asked me to do is send the ECU with a return shipping label and they would review the current tune, let me know what was going on and send it back with the new tune. They also made a few other suggestions as well which I have since done. So I decided at this point what do I have to lose! I sent the ECU overnight with all my current mods and necessary information and a few days later got it back! I would be lying if I said I hadn't read many negative reviews about Tork Motorsports and John. In fact it was the reason I chose another vendor to begin with. Having said that let me say at this point I was extremely satisfied and Tork had a new customer regardless of the results of the tune.

Now let's get to the best part! The tune review! I'm certainly no car guru or mechanic. This stuff is a hobby for me. After getting my ECU back I managed to slip out of work for an hour and run home. Just enough time to swap out ecu's and put the tune in. I have about a 15-20 mile drive to work with some highway and back roads which I knew would give me the opportunity to see what she could do. From the moment I pulled out of my driveway I could feel the difference! There was an immediate throttle response which was so gratifying I couldn't wait to get out of my neighborhood. A couple of more turns and I shifted to 2nd and gave it about 3/4 throttle. My boost gauge shot up to 20 psi and I took off like a bat out of hell with a big smile on my face winding through the gears!! I couldn't believe the response all throughout the rpm range. I never had this smooth power transition from any of the tunes with the previous vendor. I always hated partial throttle because the car felt like it was hitting a wall or holding back. Now acceleration seemed very linear. On the highway I could just drop it down from 5th to 4th and shoot by cars. I have to admit I never went WOT the entire way to work because the way boost shot up so quickly I thought it was spiking. However, that was not the case at all and since then I've gone WOT numerous times and my boost peaks right at 20 psi and holds there. Here comes the best part. Since the tune has been in my car I've only had KR a couple of times on the torque app. I'm convinced it was phantom knock because it happened right when I let off the clutch and I didn't quite give the car enough gas. Absolutely no KR at WOT!!

Overall I have to say if you are considering a tune I would highly suggest contacting Tork Motorsports. Please understand my situation was unique and the direction that they chose to go in is perhaps not what they would do for others. Thanks Tork Motorsports!!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo M/T

PERFORMANCE- Tork tune, SXTH SRI 3.5" intake, Maganaflow catback exhaust, Pierce high flow catted downpipe, XORCP, 60MM Throttle body with spacer, XWEK, XORHP, XPVS, Tork fuel line, HKS M40 plugs, Forge BOV, Turbo Tech Racing lower engine mount, PUP 5W30, Amsoil HD coolant, Cerma engine, nano and transmission treatments

HANDLING- Pierce motorsports rear torsion bar, Pierce 2 point lower tie bar, Pierce chromoly strut brace, Uniq rigid collars

BODY- Diode Dynamics 6000k hid low beams, Diode Dynamics led fog lights, Premium Auto Styling rear deflector and amber headlight tint, garage line 15 mm/20 mm spacers

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Awesome! Glad you are happy and glad we could help you out with this! Let us know what else we can do for you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Offered you free of charge? Why?

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,260 Posts
So a free stage 0 tune, that puts out what seems to me like stage 1 boost/power levels, that does not report KR, but does report KR, which the other tune did as well?

Confused here.....

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
So a free stage 0 tune, that puts out what seems to me like stage 1 boost/power levels, that does not report KR, but does report KR, which the other tune did as well?

Confused here.....
Wait... the only thing got from his post was:

1. Boost and power levels seem to be stage 1
2. KR counts

That is all you took from his whole post?

What "seems" to you... is moot, because you have no idea what our Stage 0 and our Stage 1 tune makes on the dyno. Why are you even in here? You have built a following on this forum, which I respect, but who are you to question what we did for a member of this forum, not only that... to but to question the results he is getting, and having zero proof of what you are saying is insulting. Not only insulting to us, but the forums as a whole.

You are likely confused, because it has nothing to do with you. If you are making an attempt to doubt our work or question what we did for this member, do it elsewhere.

Thanks,

Tork Motorsports

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What "seems" to you... is moot, because you have no idea what our Stage 0 and our Stage 1 tune makes on the dyno. Why are you even in here?
It probably has something to do with the reported 20 pounds of boost, aggressive performance improvements, and apparent non-zero KR counts.

You're right. We don't have dyno numbers. We only have what it "seems" to your customer, in the form of a very satisfied review. That's wonderful.

We also have your website-published numbers of "+20 WHP and WTQ" for a stage 0, and " 40-70 WHP and 40-80 WTQ" for a stage 1. Does 20 WHP make your car "take off like a bat out of hell"? Is any lingering KR count acceptable?

Thanks for taking care of Clw. Sounds like his car runs much better, I'm glad everything turned out. But Trdtoy didn't "attempt to doubt" with anything but the information presented. You can cut the passive-aggressive victim routine.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
It probably has something to do with the reported 20 pounds of boost, aggressive performance improvements, and apparent non-zero KR counts.

You're right. We don't have dyno numbers. We only have what it "seems" to your customer, in the form of a very satisfied review. That's wonderful.

We also have your website-published numbers of "+20 WHP and WTQ" for a stage 0, and " 40-70 WHP and 40-80 WTQ" for a stage 1. Does 20 WHP make your car "take off like a bat out of hell"? Is any lingering KR count acceptable?

Thanks for taking care of Clw. Sounds like his car runs much better, I'm glad everything turned out. But Trdtoy didn't "attempt to doubt" with anything but the information presented. You can cut the passive-aggressive victim routine.
Who are you?

There is a small history between me and TRDTroy, so that is why there is the passive-aggressive routine.

The target boost levels for the Stage 0 vary from year to year, so making an assumption of the boost and power levels... well, shouldn't have been made. Aggressive performance improvements? To answer that, maybe his tune was just that bad before :)

I am confused now, "We"? Do you work with TRDTroy, or am I missing something? What seems to be an improvement, can only be based off the previous tune, stock or otherwise. So, a big improvement over what he had, would "seem" drastic, especially if it was really bad.

1. First, we must ask. What is a "bat of out of hell".
2. What 20 HP feels to one person, vs the next... well, could feel like a bat out of hell :)
3. You must have missed the "+" in front of that 20 WHP :) Some cars, will pick up 20, others 40... are we bench dyno testing today :)
4. Well, factory tune has lingering KR counts... so you tell me if its acceptable :)

Since we are assuming everything at this point, I can assume that TrdTroy was making an attempt to build doubt, and accuse us at the same time being confused. See, just because I am a vendor, doesn't mean I am not allowed to form an opinion like everyone else :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Who are you?

There is a small history between me and TRDTroy, so that is why there is the passive-aggressive routine.

The target boost levels for the Stage 0 vary from year to year, so making an assumption of the boost and power levels... well, shouldn't have been made. Aggressive performance improvements? To answer that, maybe his tune was just that bad before :)

I am confused now, "We"? Do you work with TRDTroy, or am I missing something? What seems to be an improvement, can only be based off the previous tune, stock or otherwise. So, a big improvement over what he had, would "seem" drastic, especially if it was really bad.
I'm just another Veloster driver. The people who ask questions don't always have be in cahoots. As far as "We", well... you presumed to say the entire forum should be insulted, so I presumed to speak for us. It may have been presumptuous of me. :)

Identifications aside, you do have some good points about the relative performance and KR counts, and I'm certainly not going to press any further. Thanks again for getting a community member fixed up, and for the thoughtful reply.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
I'm just another Veloster driver. The people who ask questions don't always have be in cahoots. As far as "We", well... you presumed to say the entire forum should be insulted, so I presumed to speak for us. It may have been presumptuous of me. :)

Identifications aside, you do have some good points about the relative performance and KR counts, and I'm certainly not going to press any further. Thanks again for getting a community member fixed up, and for the thoughtful reply.
LOL, fair enough.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If i may jump in here please I didn't post this review to start an argument!! i merely felt the review was warranted based on the results of the tune and the fantastic customer service!! As I stated earlier I'm no car guru so perhaps "bat out of hell" means something different to me than you. Would it be better if I said the car is "really quick" now? Stage 0, Stage 1, who cares!! All that matters is I'm extremely pleased with the tune and the way I was treated!! I believe in this case my opinion is the only one that really matters. Correct?

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
In 15k miles I’ll be picking up a tork stage 0 when my factory warranty is up. New plugs too. All stock everything. Like... 8-10 months.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I did not get in here to argue with anyone, build doubt, put down anyone, or a vendor, but rather to get clarification from Tork and/or clw due to clw contradicting himself regarding KR. Also claiming stage 0 tune provided but boost and felt power reported seemed to me to be that of stage 1 area or possible boost gauge being off, so wanted clarification on that. Boost does not always equal power when tuning these cars and most on this forum do not know that. I do know that around 20 psi, sometimes higher, is around what many report here and what I have seen on data logs from a stage 1 tuned car.

There is some assuming going on here and putting down a vendors tune but I'm not the one doing so..... Less of this would make for much friendlier conversations and overall better forum experience and outcomes.

If anyone is ok with a tune having "lingering KR", then to each their own. Not something I would personally be ok with, especially on a car with the weaker internals. But here again, to each their own.

What matters is that the customer is happy. And also good to see a vendor such as tork here helping someone out for shipping only. You do not see this very much.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I did not get in here to argue with anyone, build doubt, put down anyone, or a vendor, but rather to get clarification from Tork and/or clw due to clw contradicting himself regarding KR. Also claiming stage 0 tune provided but boost and felt power reported seemed to me to be that of stage 1 area or possible boost gauge being off, so wanted clarification on that. Boost does not always equal power when tuning these cars and most on this forum do not know that. I do know that around 20 psi, sometimes higher, is around what many report here and what I have seen on data logs from a stage 1 tuned car.

There is some assuming going on here and putting down a vendors tune but I'm not the one doing so..... Less of this would make for much friendlier conversations and overall better forum experience and outcomes.

If anyone is ok with a tune having "lingering KR", then to each their own. Not something I would personally be ok with, especially on a car with the weaker internals. But here again, to each their own.

What matters is that the customer is happy. And also good to see a vendor suck as tork here helping someone out for shipping only. You do not see this very much.
*such

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts

What matters is that the customer is happy. And also good to see a vendor suck as tork here helping someone out for shipping only. You do not see this very much.

I don't believe you, and that is how I feel and my opinion. You rarely have anything nice to say, and question everything we do. I mean... seriously, how would you like the OP to answer your questions? We had to come in here and address them, and you knew that was going to happen.

Stage 0 vs Stage 1... how many of our tunes have you datalogged? Never mind that, the question is rhetorical. How many of our tunes have you had on the dyno? Never mind that... again a rhetorical question :) I am tired of seeing your "questions" that only create more questions for the consumer. If you have a question, just ask it. Don't be cryptic, don't hit us with the one liner assumptions. Ask, and we will answer.

You may not be the one putting down the vendor, but what was the purpose of your comment? I am not here to be your friend, I am here to help the forum members and answer the question about our products for people who may be interested in buying them. Lets be honest, you are not interested in buying any of our products. So, please quit wasting our time.

And what is that suppose to mean? "to each their own". How is that not casting doubt of what we are doing? You claim you want to have a better "outcome" yet cast stupid comments like "to each their own". Yea, you are here for a better outcome, NOT!!!

That is what matters, and the customer is happy. Also, you wouldn't believe how often we do free tunes for people who have not been able to get a tune sorted.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Still waiting for confirmation on if this is a stage 0 or stage 1 tune? Also any idea what's causing the KR being reported? I've seen this before on a few cars and notice trends but have not 100% identified the cause on all of them.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I don't believe you, and that is how I feel and my opinion. You rarely have anything nice to say, and question everything we do. I mean... seriously, how would you like the OP to answer your questions? We had to come in here and address them, and you knew that was going to happen.

Stage 0 vs Stage 1... how many of our tunes have you datalogged? Never mind that, the question is rhetorical. How many of our tunes have you had on the dyno? Never mind that... again a rhetorical question :) I am tired of seeing your "questions" that only create more questions for the consumer. If you have a question, just ask it. Don't be cryptic, don't hit us with the one liner assumptions. Ask, and we will answer.

You may not be the one putting down the vendor, but what was the purpose of your comment? I am not here to be your friend, I am here to help the forum members and answer the question about our products for people who may be interested in buying them. Lets be honest, you are not interested in buying any of our products. So, please quit wasting our time.

And what is that suppose to mean? "to each their own". How is that not casting doubt of what we are doing? You claim you want to have a better "outcome" yet cast stupid comments like "to each their own". Yea, you are here for a better outcome, NOT!!!

That is what matters, and the customer is happy. Also, you wouldn't believe how often we do free tunes for people who have not been able to get a tune sorted.
I do not expect anyone to believe me nor do I care if they do. I just try to provide facts and not make any assumptions. And I'll always respect someone's opinion. I never intend to be mean to anyone, especially a vendor. Sorry if it comes across that way. I also do not target people or vendors in any way. I question anyone on anything mostly for the forum/community benefit that the one being questioned will provide useful info to the community. Yes, I did what I did so one or both would come in and clarify things and further build the community knowledge base. Not to come in on the deffensive making false accusations based on assumptions and everything that goes with it.

I'm just asking questions in many cases that the general customer would not know to ask. Many of which do not get answered in one way or another but that's ok, as I understand both sides and it does not bother me. I can see this causing you a headache on the customer support side, but hey, we're all here to help and provide info to the community right?

"To each their own" here, means everyone has their own opinion on what they feel is safe for the car, which is ok. It was not to cast doubt or make a dig at anyone or any vendor. All this is assumed the same as other negative you have to say about me or my comments. It all comes down to trusting your tuner in this case. If the customer is fine on how the car performs and is happy then that's what matters in the end.

Bring up more about what tork has done for customers/community, and not on their dime, vs posting all the assumptions and other things about not caring, not here to be friends, and other things and you would have a much higher bottom line and likely less haters out there.

I asked for a tune way back when and you declined doing so which was fine with me as you have that right. I do not buy parts from anyone if I can help it as i can usually make something better. Nothing against any vendor at all. I do what I can to refer anyone in the community to the vendors here vs the big name companies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"I was very concerned about KR I was getting at partial throttle and WOT while running a tune from a different vendor. It was happening quite often. I contacted the vendor about it and also talked to many people on the forums as well. I did everything that was suggested and I had many tune revisions but nothing seemed to resolve the issue. I was also left with a tune that was barely better than stock and I was very dissatisfied with. I choose not to share the name of the vendor out of respect for them."

@trdtoy You already know that I have relied on your knowledge in the past on this forum. You've been very helpful and I appreciate it. However to say that I'm putting down a vendor is very unfair. I copied and pasted above part of the first paragraph from my original post. That is hardly putting someone down!! For your edification I have plenty of respect and no ill will towards the original vendor who did my tune. They worked very hard and spent a lot of time with me trying to get things right. I simply spent my hard earned money on something that I wasn't satisfied with so I decided to try someone else! That is my right!

How am I contradicting myself in regards to KR? Once again refer to above where it says I was getting KR quite often at partial and WOT. When I say quite often I mean every day, every time I drove the car I got multiple KR readings in different cylinders. I've only recorded two instances of KR since the Tork tune has been in the car. Once on the first day I put the tune in and once on the second. Nothing since then. I think that's pretty straightforward and not contradictory.

The last thing I'm going to say is I honestly find it to be quite offensive that you have chosen to hijack this thread over an obvious personal vendetta/beef you have with Tork Motorsports. As you so eloquently put it "maybe less of this would make for much friendlier conversations and better forum experiences."

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
"I was very concerned about KR I was getting at partial throttle and WOT while running a tune from a different vendor. It was happening quite often. I contacted the vendor about it and also talked to many people on the forums as well. I did everything that was suggested and I had many tune revisions but nothing seemed to resolve the issue. I was also left with a tune that was barely better than stock and I was very dissatisfied with. I choose not to share the name of the vendor out of respect for them."

@trdtoy You already know that I have relied on your knowledge in the past on this forum. You've been very helpful and I appreciate it. However to say that I'm putting down a vendor is very unfair. I copied and pasted above part of the first paragraph from my original post. That is hardly putting someone down!! For your edification I have plenty of respect and no ill will towards the original vendor who did my tune. They worked very hard and spent a lot of time with me trying to get things right. I simply spent my hard earned money on something that I wasn't satisfied with so I decided to try someone else! That is my right!

How am I contradicting myself in regards to KR? Once again refer to above where it says I was getting KR quite often at partial and WOT. When I say quite often I mean every day, every time I drove the car I got multiple KR readings in different cylinders. I've only recorded two instances of KR since the Tork tune has been in the car. Once on the first day I put the tune in and once on the second. Nothing since then. I think that's pretty straightforward and not contradictory.

The last thing I'm going to say is I honestly find it to be quite offensive that you have chosen to hijack this thread over an obvious personal vendetta/beef you have with Tork Motorsports. As you so eloquently put it "maybe less of this would make for much friendlier conversations and better forum experiences."
You never put down a vendor that I could tell. That is another assumption being made here. Yes, you have that right to choose another tuner and glad it was sorted to a point that makes you happy. That's all that matters in the end.

Regarding the KR, if it worried you on the other vendor tune, or on the stock tune, then why does it not worry you on the current tune? Just because other aspects of the tune are better? Just because it has occurred less? It appeared contradicting to me to be worried about KR on other tunes but not on a current one. Here again, as long as you trust the tuner and you're happy that's all that matters.

Also I did not hijack the thread. Nor do I have any personal vendetta/beef with tork at all. They done nothing to me but decline to tune me years ago, no biggie. They have that right and I respect that. I simply wanted clarification on things and instead of simply clearing things up, tork jumped in on the deffensive, based on current and past assumptions and false accusations about me and my intentions, which hijacked the thread.

I'm not out to get anyone, trash talk anyone, be mean to anyone, bash anyone, etc like some may be lead to believe.....

So yes, less assumptions, which lead to false accusations, would make for much friendlier conversations and better forum experiences.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts