Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not sure I want to jump into this... but I did just want to add that the VT in question is a 2013 which (correct me if I'm wrong) has been shown to allow more boost than following years.

I don't have any fancy data-logging gear... but with a bluetooth OBDII and torque pro I've seen 20 psi or even slightly over on my 2013 with the stock tune so this doesn't seem unreasonable to me? :crazy:

·
Registered
170 Posts
You are correct, the 13's pushed more boost.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,282 Posts
Not sure I want to jump into this... but I did just want to add that the VT in question is a 2013 which (correct me if I'm wrong) has been shown to allow more boost than following years.

I don't have any fancy data-logging gear... but with a bluetooth OBDII and torque pro I've seen 20 psi or even slightly over on my 2013 with the stock tune so this doesn't seem unreasonable to me? :crazy:
Correct, under certain conditions the 13 can peak past 20 psi, but none of them hold 20 psi like the OP stated. I have seen a stage 0 peak at or over 20 psi but not hold it. The stage 1 I've seen will generally go 21-22+ psi area and hold around 20 psi. Which is why I questioned if stage 0 or 1 to begin with.

However with tork saying boost target varies on a given stage tune with different cars, it could be what they consider a stage 0 on a car that makes higher boost than others. But since I do not just assume things I asked for clarification which was taken as something else due to others assumptions.....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Update factory boost solenoids & add a TORK ECBS & Xe XPVS to get rid of boost spikes. I’m on TORK stage 1 & that worked amazingly well

Haven’t seen any yet since install

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Still waiting for confirmation on if this is a stage 0 or stage 1 tune? Also any idea what's causing the KR being reported? I've seen this before on a few cars and notice trends but have not 100% identified the cause on all of them.
Why do I have to tell you what stage tune he is running? Who, are you to request confirmation (also, first post says what tune he is running).

Stage 0 for anyone else who is reading this.

Any idea on why knock is getting recorded? Well, here is the short list:

1. Fuel octane
2. Current miles on oil
3. Additives in the fuel (MFG specific stuff)
4. Heat range of spark plugs could be wrong
5. Driving style
6. Slipping clutch
7. Dual mass flywheel is worn
8. Valves need to be cleaned
9. Previous damage from other tune
10. Weight of oil is wrong, causing VVT to make noise
11. Loose engine mounts
12. Should I continue?

I am happy to hear you have seen this on cars before, if you tuned for a living, owned a dyno, and had the proper software for datalogging you would be able to identify false knock, from real knock. I have been doing the 1.6 gamma engine for 5 years now, going on 6. I will never identify 100% of the reason for knock. Reason being, every car is so very slightly different that even a 2lb difference in torque on the knock sensor can cause different readings. It would be impossible to find a common cause.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
I do not expect anyone to believe me nor do I care if they do. I just try to provide facts and not make any assumptions. And I'll always respect someone's opinion. I never intend to be mean to anyone, especially a vendor. Sorry if it comes across that way. I also do not target people or vendors in any way. I question anyone on anything mostly for the forum/community benefit that the one being questioned will provide useful info to the community. Yes, I did what I did so one or both would come in and clarify things and further build the community knowledge base. Not to come in on the deffensive making false accusations based on assumptions and everything that goes with it.

I'm just asking questions in many cases that the general customer would not know to ask. Many of which do not get answered in one way or another but that's ok, as I understand both sides and it does not bother me. I can see this causing you a headache on the customer support side, but hey, we're all here to help and provide info to the community right?

"To each their own" here, means everyone has their own opinion on what they feel is safe for the car, which is ok. It was not to cast doubt or make a dig at anyone or any vendor. All this is assumed the same as other negative you have to say about me or my comments. It all comes down to trusting your tuner in this case. If the customer is fine on how the car performs and is happy then that's what matters in the end.

Bring up more about what tork has done for customers/community, and not on their dime, vs posting all the assumptions and other things about not caring, not here to be friends, and other things and you would have a much higher bottom line and likely less haters out there.

I asked for a tune way back when and you declined doing so which was fine with me as you have that right. I do not buy parts from anyone if I can help it as i can usually make something better. Nothing against any vendor at all. I do what I can to refer anyone in the community to the vendors here vs the big name companies.
I agree with most of that, but who are you to being asking the questions? I mean seriously, what makes you the expert to ask these questions?

I don't run on opinion, I run on facts and experience. Proof, and evidence are my tools when I have something to say.

Its good to see that you are in here, "helping" but if you don't have a 300, 400, or 500 HP Veloster, than what is your experience? I know a lot of people who have been getting tunes from you, and I do not ask those people to share their experience with the community (they should, but its not my place to request that). Just because you think you are helping, doesn't mean that you are.

I am sure my comments are going to offend someone, and I apologize for that. I have a unique way of resolve on the forums and social media, people either love me, or hate me. I have very few that just like me. I do not like to be the voice of reason, and nor do I like to question another persons intentions. TrdTroy has a way of asking questions that border on casting doubt, and that is why I have decided to post up in this thread to remove any of that doubt.

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Correct, under certain conditions the 13 can peak past 20 psi, but none of them hold 20 psi like the OP stated. I have seen a stage 0 peak at or over 20 psi but not hold it. The stage 1 I've seen will generally go 21-22+ psi area and hold around 20 psi. Which is why I questioned if stage 0 or 1 to begin with.

However with tork saying boost target varies on a given stage tune with different cars, it could be what they consider a stage 0 on a car that makes higher boost than others. But since I do not just assume things I asked for clarification which was taken as something else due to others assumptions.....
Taken as something else?

Again, who are you? And, why do we have to answer your questions?

OP stated, "stage 0"... yet, you just couldn't resist to make a comment about Stage 0 and Stage 1 boost levels and "bat out of hell" comment. So, you say you don't like to assume things... yet, you assumed that since the car ran like a bat out of hell, it must be something other than a Stage 0 tune? And... just because you have "seen" doesn't mean that you "know" everything we do (again another assumption).

You can try to dismiss your assumptions and "ask for clarification" but really, its just your pathetic attempt to cast doubt and question what we do for the members of this community.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Why do I have to tell you what stage tune he is running? Who, are you to request confirmation (also, first post says what tune he is running).

Stage 0 for anyone else who is reading this.

Any idea on why knock is getting recorded? Well, here is the short list:

1. Fuel octane
2. Current miles on oil
3. Additives in the fuel (MFG specific stuff)
4. Heat range of spark plugs could be wrong
5. Driving style
6. Slipping clutch
7. Dual mass flywheel is worn
8. Valves need to be cleaned
9. Previous damage from other tune
10. Weight of oil is wrong, causing VVT to make noise
11. Loose engine mounts
12. Should I continue?

I am happy to hear you have seen this on cars before, if you tuned for a living, owned a dyno, and had the proper software for datalogging you would be able to identify false knock, from real knock. I have been doing the 1.6 gamma engine for 5 years now, going on 6. I will never identify 100% of the reason for knock. Reason being, every car is so very slightly different that even a 2lb difference in torque on the knock sensor can cause different readings. It would be impossible to find a common cause.
Thanks for confirmation on it being a stage 0. Good to hear it does well on the car for him.

Thanks for providing a list of potential reasons that could cause knock being recorded. This could potentially help members here down the road.

Cars I've seen this on the most tend to be higher mileage, wrong oil, long OCI, or poor maintenance history. Also some that have had motors replaced. So that could be a few things on the list. I've seen the difference with the knock sensor tq as well. These things are sensitive.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
I agree with most of that, but who are you to being asking the questions? I mean seriously, what makes you the expert to ask these questions?

I don't run on opinion, I run on facts and experience. Proof, and evidence are my tools when I have something to say.

Its good to see that you are in here, "helping" but if you don't have a 300, 400, or 500 HP Veloster, than what is your experience? I know a lot of people who have been getting tunes from you, and I do not ask those people to share their experience with the community (they should, but its not my place to request that). Just because you think you are helping, doesn't mean that you are.

I am sure my comments are going to offend someone, and I apologize for that. I have a unique way of resolve on the forums and social media, people either love me, or hate me. I have very few that just like me. I do not like to be the voice of reason, and nor do I like to question another persons intentions. TrdTroy has a way of asking questions that border on casting doubt, and that is why I have decided to post up in this thread to remove any of that doubt.

Thanks,

John
Did not know I could not ask questions. I mean you say just ask a question and you will answer it, which I did in my first post in the thread, but then ask me who am I to ask a question. What exactly does all of this contradiction even mean?

Did not know I had to be an expert to ask questions. I'm not an expert by any means and never claim to be. Did not know I had to have a 300, 400, or 500 HP veloster to have any experience. If this were the case it would only be a handful of people in the world to ask any questions to each other regarding the car.

I only mess with the VT as a hobby because I drive one, not for a business. Have resolved issues on many cars both mechanical and including other tunes, modded many cars, and tuned several but nothing near on the level you have. None of which are left with a tune reporting any KR or unsafe aspects such as boost spikes or lean conditions. Many not pushed super hard either. Any I tune I really do not want them telling others as I'm only doing it as a hobby on a dozen cars or so, not as a business in any way. Do not want to be flooded by people, lol!

As far as I know I have the quickest VT with stock motor, stock turbo, stock charge pipes, stock intercooler, stock fuel pump, 93 pump only, etc and on 225 all season tires and spinning. Quickest VT on a stock tune as well. Only ones quicker that I know of are 2 built cars with way more mods, octane, and power on wider tires of better quality or slicks. Have beat local VT's tuned by the major vendors from a roll or a dig and that was on 93 only. Been using and tuning E85 for over 8 months now in my car with no issues. Running in other cars no issues as well. I guess none of this counts for anything?

Sorry you think I have something against your company and think I'm trying to cast doubt on things. This is not true at all. Guess I need to learn how to ask questions to not make you feel a need to be on the deffensive all the time.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Taken as something else?

Again, who are you? And, why do we have to answer your questions?

OP stated, "stage 0"... yet, you just couldn't resist to make a comment about Stage 0 and Stage 1 boost levels and "bat out of hell" comment. So, you say you don't like to assume things... yet, you assumed that since the car ran like a bat out of hell, it must be something other than a Stage 0 tune? And... just because you have "seen" doesn't mean that you "know" everything we do (again another assumption).

You can try to dismiss your assumptions and "ask for clarification" but really, its just your pathetic attempt to cast doubt and question what we do for the members of this community.
I am just a Joe blow that messes with VT as a hobby. You do not have to answer questions from anyone including me.

Only brought up stage 0 or 1 due to boost being reported by the OP. Wanted clarification on the tune and accuracy of boost as I was not sure what he was going by to get the boost reading. Also when he said holding 20 psi is another reason why I asked for clarification since I had not seen or heard a stage 0 holding that high yet. I never mentioned "bat out of hell" at all.

So no, I have not assumed anything or attempt to cast doubt on thing you did. I do ask questions though to get clarification and info out there for the community benefit.

I have not seen or know near everything y'all do, never claimed any of this. So that's not an assumption on my part just more false accusations and assumptions being made and belittling me for whatever reason on your end.

I'm not here to belittle you or your business, what you do for the community, or take business away in any shape or form, yet I'm being treated as such based on your assumptions of my intent when I post things. Makes no sense at all other than you're letting your assumptions get the best of you. I'm not one of the people out there trying to cause you or your company any harm so go target someone else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2013 Boost values...

I have a 2013 VT manual trans with 60mmTB mod, full borla exhaust, Tork Tube resonator delete, FMIC, CAI, BOV, and what I think is a factory tune (not sure what prev owner has done to it)....and it sees 20psi boost often. It DOES hav massive lag & then in your face powerband coming up in RPM's, and still fighting turbo limp mode when long boost pulls up in 4th, 5th & 6th gears. Need to see the dealer for the Fuel line service recall before I get too diagnostic on that. It sucks though.

From what I've read and seen from the Tork guys on dyno proven results, diligent dyno pulls and tuning efforts for the Velsoster, and customer service- I am absolutely going to go with them for the tune they best recommend for my car.

And, for the record, after reading the banter form the guy giving them neg type feedback on this post- I just stopped reading his posts after the 2nd one. It's not value added content.

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts