Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am finally getting around to doing this. Writing my review of Tork Motorsports' Short Throw Shifter. I was going to pair this with a DIY, but I didn't take any pictures. In all honesty, the Hyundai Tech Info site covers everything you'll need. (Body > Interior > Console & Manual Transaxle System > Control System > Shift Lever) The whole center console comes out in about 5 minutes. There are latches on the shift cables you have to pull to release the cables from the shifter base. Everything else is like 10 screws and some Lego action.

So first, pictures...

After opening...

So the first thing that I noticed, is that, yes it is a full shift assembly as advertised, but it is really just a new shifter in a stock assembly. I was kinda of expecting a completely newly designed assembly. No complaints there, just making the statement. I am certainly happy to not having to disassemble the assembly and replace the shifter. So what changed....pictures...

As you can see from the pictures above, the shifter has been extended further into the base, provided the shorter actuation distance without changing the height. It does make installing the shifter a little bit tricker than the stock as you have to sort of assemble the shifter without it mounted in order to get the right angle on the ball joint.

Performance
-------------
Note of disclaimer: as stated in the original thread by John, break-in period is about 200 miles. Now I'm going to say that's 200 miles of mixed traffic, highway and city. Obviously driving 200 miles down the interstate isn't going to amount for lots of shifting. I rolled through all the gears car-off repeatedly to wear it in and then did so every so often along with my normal driving. It absolutely is stiff as hell in some gears until it wears in. It does absolutely get better, much better. The shifter now just clicks gear-to-gear without hesitation (second disclaimer is that I also have the TWM Performance bushings already installed which amounts for a lot, get bushings too or it won't be worth it, I think John is selling those too). Improvements for 49% reduced shifting = awesome.

Price
--------
A stock assembly w/leather knob is $114.14 online. So that+R&D+disassembly+reassembly+awesome = well worth the price tag John has put on the product. For those of you highly patient and mechanically inclined, you may be able to talk him into just the shifter, not sure. The ease of installation though receiving a whole assembly makes life much better. I had the entire thing installed and on the road in like 20 minutes. I don't know if John is taking cores, but possibly worth asking.

Other thought... The only thing that would be nice in a shifter for us would be to find an alternate method to use the reverse lockout and allow us to throw on some custom knobs/boots although I do like our stock knob. Would it probably be worth the cost? Doubtful, but some of you guys throw money at the cars like tomatoes at a bad act...unless you're the guy that just buys parts and doesn't even have the car yet...

Final suggestion: buy it! (unless you have an automatic : disappoint : ...with the exception of those driving daily through dense traffic)

Reactions: JGunz18 and -X-

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very nice!

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade over stock.

Can you really row through the gears noticeably faster with the upgrade now?

I want!

·
Registered
563 Posts
it's hard to tell from the pics, but is the shifter knob still at stock height?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would love this mod. We have a really short shifter on our shop Porsche and its awesome.

Is that $114 just the new price from Hyundai or John's final price?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Yes, it is noticeable over the stock. When you run through gears.

2. Shifter knob is still at the stock height.

3. The $114 is what it would cost to replace the OEM assembly which is what John is building it from. I believe he is tagging them at $200. I checked his thread and that's the only number I saw. Hopefully he can chime in on that.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm glad he kept the shift knob at stock height. I have pretty short arms, any shorter and I'd be sitting closer to the steering wheel or I'd have lean forward a little when shifting.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I'm glad he kept the shift knob at stock height. I have pretty short arms, any shorter and I'd be sitting closer to the steering wheel or I'd have lean forward a little when shifting.
Animation Snout Organism Animated cartoon Photo caption

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I was actually hoping that this unit would accommodate aftermarket shift knob options easier than the stock one.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I am interested, but hopefully there is some kind of core return program. because I would rather not have my old shifter sitting next to my old exhaust that I will probably never use again, but don't want to just throw away lol. I personally like the stock knob it has clean sleak look IMO

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
I am interested, but hopefully there is some kind of core return program. because I would rather not have my old shifter sitting next to my old exhaust that I will probably never use again, but don't want to just throw away lol. I personally like the stock knob it has clean sleak look IMO
Dude, buy the time you are done you'll have half a new car sitting in need of a chassis.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
1. Yes, it is noticeable over the stock. When you run through gears.

2. Shifter knob is still at the stock height.

3. The $114 is what it would cost to replace the OEM assembly which is what John is building it from. I believe he is tagging them at $200. I checked his thread and that's the only number I saw. Hopefully he can chime in on that.
$249 is our target release price.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
We are looking into this as an option.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I was actually hoping that this unit would accommodate aftermarket shift knob options easier than the stock one.
I think the reverse lock out is hindering us from using after market knobs. I don't mind the oem one.

What's the difference if the top of of the stick is shortened as well?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Dude, buy the time you are done you'll have half a new car sitting in need of a chassis.
lol i already have too many half cars i dont need another lol.

We are looking into this as an option.
great hopefully you can make it work, i cant wait to have an even shorter throw.

i drove my cb7 this weekend, and it has a short throw for a stock 93, but after having the VT i felt like i was swinging a baseball bet to shift lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok so this vendor use to be in the caliber srt4 forum that I'm at and he has the same design for the caliber srt short shifter and my friend bought it from him ..and it does work don't get me wrong ...but I will never pay that much money for sown thing I can get done for cheaper ...and same or better quality ...so me and my buddy measure the extension he did to the shifter and I when to a local welding shop and they did it for 20 dollars so yes if u guys measure the extension piece he welded u can take ur shifter to welder and it will literally be done in a few hours the most a day...the caliber was 4 inches ...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok so this vendor use to be in the caliber srt4 forum that I'm at and he has the same design for the caliber srt short shifter and my friend bought it from him ..and it does work don't get me wrong ...but I will never pay that much money for sown thing I can get done for cheaper ...and same or better quality ...so me and my buddy measure the extension he did to the shifter and I when to a local welding shop and they did it for 20 dollars so yes if u guys measure the extension piece he welded u can take ur shifter to welder and it will literally be done in a few hours the most a day...the caliber was 4 inches ...
Rican,

I am fairly new to this forum but I as well as others I am sure would agree that taking a shit on someones product isn't a polite way to get your point across. TorkMe has taken the time to do R&D on his products and has invested his time and money to get us a quality product.

I myself will be looking at this short shift kit as 1. it's easy to install 2. it's a complete assembly. and 3. looks factory

Thanks,

Phil

1 - 20 of 55 Posts