Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And they do it with this....

"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil SAE 0W-20 for Direct Injection Turbo Gasoline Engines"

I know, I know....it's the wrong viscosity for us (5W-30 or 5W40, per the manual).

But if your past your warranty, or have a built motor after blowing yours and being denied warranty coverage (cough...ahem...Talulu), or are concerned by a LSPI event more than warranty coverage, this may be for you.

So, what makes this oil specifically formulated for " Direct Injection Turbo Gasoline Engines"?

https://www.pressroom.com.au/press_kit_detail.asp?kitID=355&clientID=3&navSectionID=6

Lexus developed a new 0-20W viscosity lubricating oil without calcium content to remove the chance of engine knock at low engine revolutions.
So Toyota seems to think the Calcium (a common detergent additive in MOST motor oils) content increases the chance of LSPI.

According to the SAE papers linked by -X-, they may be on to something.

·
Super Moderator
3,301 Posts
Leave it to a company that uses 0 turbos in its vehicles to figure it out.
toyota has had ALOT of turbocharged cars in the past. maybe more than any other manufacturer.

Reactions: TylerPeterson

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Calcium is a detergent additive:
"The amount of calcium typically seen in an API SM engine is close to 2ooo parts per million. This comparatively high number is typically driven by the detergent additive."

My Motul Xcess used oil analysis shows 2,300 ppm of calcium, which means it's close to average.

0W20 is way, way too thin for a Veloster turbo. My contact at Hyundai Australia told me the reason for the upgrade from 5W30 to 5W40 was due to some prematurely scored main bearings. He thought the service campaign on the change of oil specification was world-wide including the USA.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Actually X and others fronted bodies of work that suggested add-packs were partially to blame,....this is just another dog with his nose in the wind. CERMA has NO traditional add pack. No calcium, no zinc.

-Neither does REDLINE's pure ESTER oil.
-PUP is the first 6 standard oil.

***Now you know why I am combining the 3.

***CB,...the pue PAO synthetic in all CERMA has the greatest resistance to "shear",..in reference to your scored bearing observation. Even in a scored damaged motor,..the Sic compund would fill the scoring, or point of friction/heat.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Very Interesting to see them say 0-20 is the magic fix, very different then what other manufactures have said and found to work. Toyota has also been a big fan of that weight oil for some time now

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
That is why I bought 0W-40 for my last Oil Change.....BUT.....my Hyundai Dealer was going to VOID my WARR if I had them put it in......I did though,,,,,not 4 long though ..... wnt to 5W40 the next day [most expensive oil change of me life]!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It is possible or probable that 0W won't adhere to the cylinder walls and rings when cold, and this is why 5W is specified. There is such a thing as oil that's too thin, and the Veloster has some strange, low-friction rings which may have something to do with this (or maybe it doesn't).

If Hyundai thought either 0w40 or 5W40 was suitable then they would have specified either, but they haven't so it's safer to go with what has been specified.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have read that BMW also specs that oil weight for their N20 4-cylinder DI Turbo motor. It probably has more to do with meeting CAFE regs than protecting the engine for the the life of the car beyond the warranty period.

Watch for 0W16 to become the new 0W20 as CAFE regs tighten the mileage standards.

I'll stick with 5W30 winter/ 5W40 summer. Would like to find a low Calcium oil though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as not being publicly available, as far as I know.
After a little digging, I find that the manufacturer of Lexus/Toyota motor oil is a company called Idemitsu...

Idemitsu Lube (S) Pte Ltd - We Care About Your Engine And Our World.

Its seems their standard synthetic oil (non-DI) is formulated with low(er) cacium already, according to UOA and VOA here....

UOA

http://http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3366196/Idemitsu_0W-20,_2138_miles,_20

VOA

Idemitsu 0w-20 | Virgin Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO | Bob Is The Oil Guy

They also make a 5W30 SN/GF5 and 5W40 SN/CF. Have no VOA/UOA on those weights though....

However, looking for a low Calcium oil I found this....

March 2013 - Test Results for AP

Admittedly out of date ( no GTL Pennzoil ), but interesting to see the add packs compared side to side.

In this comparison, Castrol EDGE and Mobil 1 have the lowest Calcium, with a honorable mention to Schaeffer's Supreme for their Moly ppm.

The search continues, 500 miles till I switch out the PP 5W30 with 'something' 5W40.....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Also this

From my understanding though Lubrizol hasn't (or isn't disclosing who) sold this to anyone that's using it yet.
Lubrizol strictly does the additives. They want to sell to the Penzoils & the like. They stay away from end users.

Amazing facility... dozens of cells, probably 15'x20' running engines non stop (some at WOT).
Last time I was in there they even had some crotch-rocket bike on a dyno that was doing pulls after completing testing.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I can't stand marketing fluff that gives neither details nor availability info, which Lubrizol is very good at.

The SAE LSPI articles also don't give details on exact oils used for testing, so that's frustrating as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts