Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my 2013 VT has been giving me a strange series of CE lights repeatedly over the last few months and im stumped. So the codes I get are p0136 p0299 and I think occasionally another one but I can't recall what it is atm. So the mods I have are dual catch can, fuel line, intake, downpipe, cat back, hot pipe, bov, waste gate and bov solenoid and the hks racing sparkplugs.

The problem im experiencing seems to happen when the turbo is under a serious load, and then it just shuts off. The car keeps running but the turbo is no longer boosting. And most of the time when this happens I just have to pull over and turn the car off for a few minutes and back on and it runs normal again. And if it throws a code I can clear it and it will be fine, it doesn't always throw a code.

I dont have a tune yet idk if that may be the issue, I've also read it may have to do with the solenoids. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,382 Posts
P0136 is defined as an Oxygen Sensor Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2).

P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

·
Registered
2013 VT
75 Posts
I literally had P0136 forever before I got tuned (not an issue if you plan on tuning, I believe it gets removed) and it shouldn't do what you're describing. 0136 specifically means the ECU isn't picking up a signal (burned wires, etc.. nothing to do with o2 spacing or the downpipe). I'm gonna guess P0299 is your main culprit and would personally further investigate starting with that code only

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I literally had P0136 forever before I got tuned (not an issue if you plan on tuning, I believe it gets removed) and it shouldn't do what you're describing. 0136 specifically means the ECU isn't picking up a signal (burned wires, etc.. nothing to do with o2 spacing or the downpipe). I'm gonna guess P0299 is your main culprit and would personally further investigate starting with that code only
Yes p0299 is my main issue, I've read that replacing the solenoid will resolve this issue but I've already replaced it

·
Registered
2013 VT
75 Posts
I do believe you can only run the upgraded BOV solenoid on the stock tune and you should keep the OEM wastegate. Once you're tuned is when you add the wastegate solenoid to settle boost surging or it will cause the issues you're describing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do believe you can only run the upgraded BOV solenoid on the stock tune and you should keep the OEM wastegate. Once you're tuned is when you add the wastegate solenoid to settle boost surging or it will cause the issues you're describing.
Dude you know what I remember getting a p0299 a while back and I bought the upgraded wastegate solenoid then thinking mine as well get the better one. When I got under my car I saw my wastegate unit had came loose and was not properly opening. Causing the problem. But I installed the solenoid anyways.

I'm gonna get under there today and put tje old one back on ill let you know what happens.

Thanks for your time man, really appreciate it! 🙏

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,260 Posts
You have a boost leak most likely causing the P0299 which causes it to fall on it's face.

The P0136 probably means you have a spacer under the rear O2 sensor which is incorrect. Get the correct one in there if this is the case.

Do not go with a tune that tunes anything but the P0420 out.

The upgraded solenoids are a good thing if you have those in place already just be sure all are correct and hooked up properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a boost leak most likely causing the P0299 which causes it to fall on it's face.

The P0136 probably means you have a spacer under the rear O2 sensor which is incorrect. Get the correct one in there if this is the case.

The upgraded solenoids are a good thing if you have those in place already just be sure all are correct and hooked up properly.
I dont have any spacer i just put the oem o2 sensor back in when installed the downpipe, but I have read that it could be loose. But when that code comes up i can clear it and it just goes away until next it comes up.

As for the boost leak you may be onto somthing, befor i got the sxth elemnt dual catch i had a pretty janky can that was leaking. When i replaced ot i notices a huge difference, but still when im boosting heavy it failes. Sucks trying to race people or plan any trips lol. It also seems to fail going up hills.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

If I have a boost leak now im having a hard time finding where

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I only get the failure while under a pretty heavy boost load too, and it doesn't always throw a code

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It will not always throw a code as it has to happen so many times and/or for a certain time frame and be ~4psi less boost than what the car should be making based on what the ecu calculates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It will not always throw a code as it has to happen so many times and/or for a certain time frame and be ~4psi less boost than what the car should be making based on what the ecu calculates.
Should I get a boost leak test kit then?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The solenoid is okay according to sxth element i just msgd them on insta asking of the solenoid is okay to run un-tuned they said yep so it must be a boost leak somewhere

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Need to take everything apart that sees boost, clean all connections, then put together and cinch down good to ensure no leaks. Check and maintain/clean the BOV to ensure no leaks.

Issue will be in the hot pipe, BOV, or catch can somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Need to take everything apart that sees boost, clean all connections, then put together and cinch down good to ensure no leaks. Check and maintain/clean the BOV to ensure no leaks.

[/Q

How would I know if the bov is leaking, I got it within six months I was planning on maintaining it in January.
And I just installed the dual catch can like 2 or 3 weeks ago. But I'll get under today and take a look

1 - 20 of 28 Posts