Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,294 Posts
There is a difference between "old guy" and "young guy" insurance.

I have "old guy" insurance with $0 deductible comprehensive coverage and a long history of no tickets (driving school!) and no "at fault" major claims. So I would claim this damage under my insurance. If my rates went up I could switch carriers and get back to my low rates.

If I was a young guy, I would think twice about claiming this on my insurance, because they will get that money back and more with increased premiums.

The nose on the VT is probably not cheap to fix if you have to replace it, because it is so new and rare. And the handful of VT's in junkyards surely have smashed noses, so a used part is not an option.

There is another option though. A lot of body shops can repair the vinyl wrap-around bumpers on new cars. It is not an ideal fix, but it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new bumper.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a difference between "old guy" and "young guy" insurance.

I have "old guy" insurance with $0 deductible comprehensive coverage and a long history of no tickets (driving school!) and no "at fault" major claims. So I would claim this damage under my insurance. If my rates went up I could switch carriers and get back to my low rates.

If I was a young guy, I would think twice about claiming this on my insurance, because they will get that money back and more with increased premiums.

The nose on the VT is probably not cheap to fix if you have to replace it, because it is so new and rare. And the handful of VT's in junkyards surely have smashed noses, so a used part is not an option.

There is another option though. A lot of body shops can repair the vinyl wrap-around bumpers on new cars. It is not an ideal fix, but it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new bumper.
Will look into this thanks any other suggestions

· Registered
149 Posts
My old AU had a next to impossible to source front bar on it - when it got smashed on the lower right we were looking at over $3500 to replace it, cost less than $800 to get it repaired back to new including paint - all for a $200 excess on my insurance. I'd claim.

· Registered
3,080 Posts
That's what the deductible is for so Id for sure use it. Like Stone Axe said, if your premium goes up just switch. I had to use a $250 deductible once to have my entire car repainted after it was keyed on every panel. My rates didn't go up.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
I'd get some quotes before I made a claim, it will make this decision easier to assess.

My last claim was several years back, and I had finally gotten 5+ years of no tickets and no wrecks and reasonable insurance rates.

I was in Florida on business and jacked this rental car up pretty good on my way to a meeting. I was alone and desperate and needed to get to this meeting. I called Geico and they rocked and sent a wrecker and offered me either a cab or another rental car and it was over in less than 2 hours. When I got to the rental car place they were cool and said that Geico was already on top of it and I didn't owe them another penny.

I tore off the front bumper, but it was still intact, popped out the grill, which I collected from the highway, crushed a headlight bucket and dented a fender really hard. I figured that I did $3-4,000 worth of damage and didn't hesitate to start the claim and get Geico to hook me up roadside. A few weeks later the claims adjuster called and told me I was going to owe my $500 deductible plus about $300 in other charges Geico didn't cover. He told me that the car was being repaired by the rental car company's shop and I assumed that they would pad the bill by another $1,000 or more. But when I saw the actual bill it was only like $1,300, and I had paid $800. Had I known that beforehand, I would have covered the extra $500 out of my pocket and not made a claim just to keep my record clean.

See what the repair is going to cost first - both a new bumper and a repaired bumper. And then decide if it is worth making a claim or not. If the repair is not much more than your deductible I would not make a claim.

· Registered
149 Posts
Hmmmm, if the grille is only $90 it's almost worth getting one just to see what can be done about the brick - I have a friend who fabricates parts for Mazda Rotaries that might be able to do something clever.

· Registered
2,187 Posts
You could easily do a brick delete, simply by cutting the cutting out the brick and then cutting the frills from the spare grill and fiber glassing them there the brick was. would require a repaint tho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.