Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
When does the turbo really kick in... what RPM range?
Almost forget what you know of "kick-in" at a higher rpm ...this Turbo has strong acceleration from the git-go. Feels like a nice big torquey easy-breathing 6-cylinder from zero to whatever gets you the speeding ticket. no lag, no slow-starts. IMHO ALL Velosters should have the 201hp standard and the R-Spec could go to 250hp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... I am just not feeling that punch like I did when I just got her. Could there be something wrong? Never had a turbo before so I may just be jumping to worst case but when I just got her (after about 1,000 miles) and really got on the gas I could feel that boost of power just after 3000RPM or so... now not so much?

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
this turbo starts spooling almost instantly when you get on the gas.. once i fix my phone, I can get logs of when it is fully spooled.. What I will try to do is start off in second gear from a stop and pull to the top of 3rd gear to give people an idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My butt dyno says its kicks in pretty early. The car has decent torque and pulls right away, which is not how a 1.6 liter engine behaves pulling nearly 3000 pounds of car. I feel it peaks around 4500 rpm. This car has way more torque than my 2000 Mr2 Spyder which was a 1.6 liter 140 hp motor. I am guessing you are just used to it. I find my 2012 Cayman S feels twice is fast as it used to now that it has been relegated to a weekend driver.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well I assume this car "learns" your throttle habits like most new cars do and it may be reacting to your driving style.

In my limited experience the turbo comes on smoothly about 1,000 RPM after you hit the gas pedal more than half way. If I'm on the gas it is pulling good by 3,000 RPM, but if I'm loafing around in a higher gear at 3,000 RPM and hit the gas it feels gutless and takes a second or two and kicks in smoothly by 4,000 RPM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts