Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace the turbo on their car? If so where did you source it from and what did you pay? It looks like the turbocharger is built in to the exhaust manifold on this car which probably limits what you can buy for it.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jarrod

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are rebuild kits for the turbo's on the VT's.
They make turbo repair kits for the Garretts GT1749V,VNT15, GT15, GT-18, and GT-20-22 which should fit your particular turbo. You can do a search on EBay for the results.
Instructions do come with them and I did buy one from ebay for about $27. I've not rebuilt one yet but when I finally source a turbo motor for my build I did plan on rebuilding the stocker and putting it to use until I get a stuffed turbo or something a bit more potent.
Hope this helps and good luck.
(y)

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Uncle JJ, what do you want to swap the turbo?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trdtoy,
I just want the darn thing running again. My friend owns an auto shop and he is pulling the manifold and turbo off for me. I will evaluate whether I think I can rebuild it with a kit or just buy a new turbo and manifold assembly. I found a repair kit for around $210 and a whole new assembly for $583. Not sure which path to go yet. I hate the integrated turbo in the exhaust manifold. What a pain!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,982 Posts
There are rebuild kits for the turbo's on the VT's.
They make turbo repair kits for the Garretts GT1749V,VNT15, GT15, GT-18, and GT-20-22 which should fit your particular turbo. You can do a search on EBay for the results.
Instructions do come with them and I did buy one from ebay for about $27. I've not rebuilt one yet but when I finally source a turbo motor for my build I did plan on rebuilding the stocker and putting it to use until I get a stuffed turbo or something a bit more potent.
Hope this helps and good luck.
(y)
i haven't done any research personally but the stock turbo is a borg warner i'm not sure if the garrett stuff would fit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i haven't done any research personally but the stock turbo is a borg warner i'm not sure if the garrett stuff would fit.
? We'll fins out when that time comes.
It's been awhile since I researched it and bought the kit but I thought a lot of the information came from these forums.
No biggie for me as I will most certainly be upgrading but I will try to rebuild what I get when I get my VT engine. ?

Good luck @Uncle JJ and let us know what works for you. You got me interested. ?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
If it has a bad turbo replace the whole thing with a new unit from albert Hwang on FB or get a good used one from car-part.com. unless upgrading then go through KDM tuners. Either way get a set of ARP studs put in the turbo if you plan on doing a downpipe install down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mystery solved! I took the turbocharger apart tonight and the hot side of the turbo blew some fins off. Also inside the hot side of the housing there are significant cracks on the bell shaped internal part. See the pictures attached.
20200305_210224.jpg
20200305_210005.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,982 Posts
whoops!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Seen this happen before. New turbo time for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep.as soon as I took it apart I saw it was new turbo time. Those cracks are are pretty bad as well. I ordered a new turbo exhaust manifold assembly today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t do Facebook. I tried to look him up and there were a lot of Albert Hwangs in Facebook.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
It would have been worth going through a middle man in that case if you're buying new.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Ya I mean would have been worth it to go through albert Hwang to save $ even if you have someone with FB help you make the transaction

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Just blew my turbo today :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts