Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to post a background on these units and how they are being made so if people are interested in them, they can purchase one for their car.

When we got our VTurbo, it was so new that pretty much nothing was available and I knew that I wanted to make a SRI for the car or even a CAI.

Originally, I had made a SRI (Short Ram Intake) just for some ummph in the noise department but when I saw the power results of Injen's CAI vs. the SRI, I decided to make an extension for a full CAI.

I haven't been do the dyno yet and won't have a stock baseline to compare it to but I think you can sorta feel the difference between the stock snorkel intake and the SRI. I haven't had the CAI long enough to comment.

I would like to think that this intake will perform very close to the Injen system as far as performance goes. There is not much of a design difference between the two.

Design:

The piping is aluminum and has a 2mm thick wall which means it is very strong. I chose this piping carefully when I was building turbo systems because it wouldn't crush when tightening couplers like some cheaper piping.

The couplers are 3-4 ply silicone which means they are everything and more than you would need for an intake system. They hold up well to heat and clean very easily (unlike some rubber couplers)

The hose clamps are Stainless Steel T-bolt style. This means a few things. They have more clamping pressure than worm groove clamps, because they are wider. They also will not tear into your couplers like worm groove clamps can. They also look much nicer.

Build:

I am cutting all the piping by hand and cleaning up the edges to ensure there are no burrs that could possibly be sucked into the system. For buyers, you will not need to do anything but remove the stock system and have a couple tools for the install.

The cutting method I am using is a pipe cutter from harbor freight. This method will introduce a little scuff on the pipe where the rollers touch it. Not to worry though, as the couplers cover the scuff! The rest will look just like the piping in the pictures.

IMPORTANT:

This system does NOT recirculate the bypass valve to the intake, so you will need to leave it disconnected or remove the hose. This will not cause ANY issues with how the car functions or pose any problems. The only difference is that your BPV will now vent to the atmosphere and be a bit louder. It will function as a BOV.

Also, this system does not route the valve breather back into the system as that would introduce blowby/oily substance into the system. You can run a breather filter on your valve cover, vent it to the atmosphere or run a catch can. A catch can will be the most environmentally friendly option. I have mine dumping to the atmosphere right now.

If you really want to route the breather back to the system, I can install a fitting on the CAI/SRI for 10$. The reason I don't include this fitting is to keep the cost down and prevent the chance of blow by gumming up the intake side of the head

Here is the SRI setup:

Here is the CAI setup: ( I will get better pictures of the CAI setup soon, these were taken at night)

I am pretty positive this will be the best bang for the buck on a CAI or SRI system for this car.

The biggest difference in the CAI I have observed is it is a bit quieter than the SRI because the tubing is longer and it is located in the fender well. The Injen dyno's show a significant improvement going from the SRI to the CAI thought (5 peak hp). Since the design of this system is VERY close to that of the Injen, I would assume similar gains.

What is included:

CAI: 2-2.75" 90 degree aluminum pipes, 1-2.75" 45 degree aluminum pipe bend, 2-2.75" straight couplers (blue or black), 1-2.75" 45 degree coupler (blue or black), 7-2.75" SS T-bolt clamps, 1-2.75" high-flow cone filter.

SRI: 2-2.75" 90 degree aluminum pipes, 1-2.75" straight coupler (blue or black), 1-2.75" 45 degree coupler(blue or black), 5-2.75" SS T-bolt clamps, 1-2.75" high-flow cone filter.

Pricing will be as follows and include shipping to the lower 48 continental US states:

SRI (with filter) : 110$ shipped
SRI (without filter - you will need to buy your own) : 95$ shipped
CAI (with filter) : 130$ shipped
CAI (without filter - you will need to buy your own) : 115$ shipped

Optional breather fitting: 10$ (See above in 'IMPORTANT' section)

If you are interested in buying, my paypal is [email protected].

It will be around 2 weeks from your order date until you can expect it in your hands as I will be building these on an order-by-order basis!

Once I have a vendor sub-forum, I will move this post over there.

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a scale of: "I don't know what a wrench is-1" to "I can build a motor in my garage-10", I would say this is about a 3 for the CAI and a 2 for the SRI. The SRI is easier because you don't have to remove the bumper at all but the bumper removal/stock intake system removal is very easy.

The only part that some people may not like doing is removing the stock intake system, which requires removal of the bumper and a bunch of bolts/screws. Removing the stock intake system requires a phillips head screwdriver and a 10mm socket.

The entire job for the CAI system should take around one hour or so for someone who knows their way around tools. Maybe an hour and a half for someone doing this type of work for the first time.

This is not a job that I would be afraid to tackle if I was a beginner. I am always around to answer questions!

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a CAI system is always better because the air that goes into it is cooler than the air that goes into a SRI system.

·
2,385 Posts
I should have held out for the CAI, or at least the part where you cut it for everyone.... :wink::crazy:

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry :p I didn't think I was going to even bother with the CAI or try my hand at cutting with a pipe cutter.

I had a 45 laying around and the pipe cutter was on sale at harbor freight so I thought what the hell. Cutting the pipe with the cutter vs. the saw was a LOT easier than I remembered.. (I think my old pipe cutter mighta been a dud.. or maybe I was at the time o_O)

·
Registered
60 Posts
will a 3.0" cone fit?

also that breather youre talking about. is that the little pipe that goes to the engine from midway from the intake? what exactly does that do? is that what youre saying should have a little breather filter?

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you should be able to tighten a 3" cone enough to fit snug.. the cones usually have a rubber 'neck' so they will conform better than silicone to a slightly smaller size.

The coupler I used for this temporary extension to see if it would work IS a 3" rubber spectre coupler and it fits tight..

yes, that is what I am saying needs a breather filter/hose dump/catch can. It vents pressure/excess blowby from the valve cover back into the intake system typically.. By not connecting it back into the system (or connecting it with an inline can) you are preventing blowby/oil/etc. from entering back into the engine. With these cars being GDI, there is no fuel being sprayed on the intake side, which aids in cleaning so the gunk just cakes up over time and causes efficiency problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On a scale of: "I don't know what a wrench is-1" to "I can build a motor in my garage-10", I would say this is about a 3 for the CAI and a 2 for the SRI. The SRI is easier because you don't have to remove the bumper at all but the bumper removal/stock intake system removal is very easy.

The only part that some people may not like doing is removing the stock intake system, which requires removal of the bumper and a bunch of bolts/screws. Removing the stock intake system requires a phillips head screwdriver and a 10mm socket.

The entire job for the CAI system should take around one hour or so for someone who knows their way around tools. Maybe an hour and a half for someone doing this type of work for the first time.

This is not a job that I would be afraid to tackle if I was a beginner. I am always around to answer questions!
Turbo, I see you've removed the engine cover. Is that required for this install?? Thanks !

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, the engine cover is NOT required for this mod to work. I just don't like the look of engine covers and like seeing all the stuff under it.. I guess I can be considered odd.. haha

·
Registered
340 Posts
if i do a cai and forge bov is the breather still needed and what about the oil catch can. sorry I really don't know much

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
breather and the BOV have nothing to do with eachother.. nor does the PCV catch can..

The PCV catch can can be done with or without a CAI.

The valve breather can run to the atmosphere or can be ran into the CAI, which is the 10$ option.. If you run it that way, you will be introducing oily blowby into the intake system.

you don't NEED to do a forge BOV if you are just wanting the sound though.

·
Registered
340 Posts
breather and the BOV have nothing to do with eachother.. nor does the PCV catch can..

The PCV catch can can be done with or without a CAI.

The valve breather can run to the atmosphere or can be ran into the CAI, which is the 10$ option.. If you run it that way, you will be introducing oily blowby into the intake system.

you don't NEED to do a forge BOV if you are just wanting the sound though.
so how would i get the bov sound wihtout leaving that hose unattached

·
Registered
373 Posts
so how would i get the bov sound wihtout leaving that hose unattached
take the hose off completely

the hoes that goes back to intake you can take off

I mean you could do a new intake but its still going to need to take the hose off.

Why are you concerned about leaving the hose un-attached?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Turbosocks, what would the cost be to have all the factory hoses connect to your intake?

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't be willing to make it so you could connect the Bypass valve hose connect to the intake.. It would be to much of a pain in the arse for me to have it connect in the stock position.. Not to mention I don't even know where that stock position is anymore since I threw the hose away.

For the other hose (the breather) it is one simple fitting and 10$.

·
Registered
375 Posts
i highly doubt he is going to invest time and money to get this dynoed, however i could be wrong. i havent seen many people dyno after just an intake install.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts