Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. So I was at my dealer today for some maintenance for a wheel balance issue on my Turbo and through the course of speaking with the tech about the steering feel, he mentioned that they could flash the car to have the steering set to the r-spec handling ratios. I figured this seemed to make sense since (I believe) the car is steer by wire. He said it was free of charge and something that if I didn't like I could come back and have changed again. I said go for it. It does feel a little tighter (though I'm wondering if I am just suffering from placebo effect). Has anyone else had this done or know anything about it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had this done on my '12 Optima not long after the '14 came out with the steering mode select. I took it in and they updated the steering to be less sensitive.

·
Super Moderator
3,710 Posts
yeah - i saved a copy to print and show my dealer :)

Reactions: vt_guest123

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not a crazy change from what I can feel, but the steering does certainly feel a bit tighter. Best part was that it was FREE lol Just a simple flash.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Side note: Do you have rigid collars? First thing that came to my mind when I saw the description.

Reactions: RPW00Mirage

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Side note: Do you have rigid collars? First thing that came to my mind when I saw the description.
no, I'm currently bone stock not including superficial stuff like rally armor flaps and interior LEDs

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am definitely going to pester my dealer about this the next time I need an oil change. Many thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
I have a Rspec and I test drove the VT and Rspec... I could notice a difference in the steering.... not as loose...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cove you coming to the PA tune event in April?
Not this time around, I think I'm gonna run my ECU Stock for a bit. I defenitly am interested in coming out in the future though! :smile:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm... Gonna be getting an oil change in a week or so, definitely going to have to talk to them about this.
It'll be interesting to see what another dealer has to say when shown the service write up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Should the service be available? Yes. Should it be free? No.

If they're either not offering or charging $50-100 for updated tunes then they certainly should not be giving this away for free.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Going to my dealer this week to try and get this done. If not Im going to try the dealer you posted. Only about 40 min from me

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Don't believe it for a minute.

The steering ratio is a gear set that cannot be altered except by changing out

the steering gear box. Which by the way is not even a dealer repairable item.

Hyundai says this is not a serviceable item and can only be replaced.

What the dealer is doing, by way of altering the computer logic of the steering

system, is adjusting the input/output relationship of the electrical assist part of

the steering. The steering is not drive by wire as some may think. If you don't

believe me, simply sit in the car with everything "off" and turn the steering wheel.

It's hard to do, but you will see, the wheels still turn. They steering is still directly

and mechanically connected to the wheels by way of a steering gear box.

Reactions: ck1
1 - 20 of 55 Posts